Coast Mountain Bus Company route 28 'Joyce Station / Phibbs Exchange'
|Operations||Burnaby Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||Nova Bus LFS|
|Branches||28 Joyce Station|
28 Phibbs Exchange
28 Kootenay Loop (select trips only)
28 Gilmore Station (one trip only)
28 Joyce Station/Phibbs Exchange is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is a north-south route connecting Joyce–Collingwood Station in Vancouver and Phibbs Exchange in North Vancouver. Service runs daily every 15 minutes on weekdays and every 20–30 minutes on weekends/holidays.
Northbound trips depart from Joyce–Collingwood Station heading east on Vanness Avenue, north on Boundary Road, east on Burke Street, north on Smith Avenue, east on Kincaid Street, north on Ingleton Avenue, west on Sunset Street, north on Smith Avenue, west on Canada Way, north on Boundary Road, east on Henning Drive, north on Gilmore Avenue, west on Lougheed Highway, north on Boundary Road, west on E. Hastings Street, north on the Cassiar Connector merging onto Highway 1 and across the Ironworkers Memorial Second Narrows Bridge taking the Main Street exit and heads west on Main Street to Phibbs Exchange.
Southbound trips depart from Phibbs Exchange heading north on bus access road to take Highway 1 heading south across the Ironworkers Memorial Second Narrows Bridge, then the Cassiar Connector and then east on E. Hastings Street, south on Boundary Road, east on Lougheed Highway, south on Gilmore Avenue, west on Henning Drive, south on Boundary Road, east on Canada Way, south on Smith Avenue, east on Sunset Street, south on Ingleton Avenue, west on Kincaid Street, south on Smith Avenue, west on Burke Street, south on Boundary Road, and west on Vanness Avenue to Joyce–Collingwood Station.
Some early morning trips in both directions start at Boundary Road & Kitchener Street, of which the first two northbound Sunday/holiday trips terminates at Kootenay Loop. Some early morning southbound trips start at Kootenay Loop.
Some trips at the end of their runs terminate at Kootenay Loop.
One southbound trip departing from Phibbs Exchange on weekdays terminates at Gilmore Station, with no changes in routing.
Points of Interest
- Joyce–Collingwood Station (Bay 4)
- Burnaby General Hospital
- Vancouver Movie Studios
- Gilmore Station
- Adanac Park
- Kootenay Loop (Bay 6 – Phibbs Exchange) (Bay 8 – Joyce Station)
- Phibbs Exchange (Bay 5)
- December 1982 - Routing near Burnaby Hospital revised to route via Smith, Kincaid, Ingleton, Sunset, Smith in both directions
- October 1984 - Service rebranded from 28 Smith to 28 Kootenay Loop/Joyce Loop
- March 1986 - Service extended to Phibbs Exchange, replacing sections of route 232. Sunday/holiday trips revised to go via Boundary, Kingsway, Joyce to Joyce Station
- May 1986 - Re-routed via Boundary Road and Vanness Avenue to Joyce Station instead of Boundary, Kingsway, Joyce to Joyce Station on Sunday/holiday trips; early morning Sunday/holiday trips to continue using old routing
- October 1990 - Accessible service introduced
- September 1998 - Peak hour service to Capilano College introduced, replacing portions of the 285 SFU/Capilano College
- Before 1999 - This route serviced Joyce Station via: Joyce St, 29th Ave, Boundary Rd and Burke St instead of Vanness Ave and Boundary Rd.
- October 2001 - Introduction of two-way service along Smith Avenue between Moscrop and Burke 
- September 2002 - Millennium Line service changes: route revised on Boundary Road between Henning to Lougheed via: Boundary, Henning, Gilmore (Gilmore Station), Lougheed, Boundary
- February 2009 - Service to Purcell Way terminated with the opening of the Temporary Bus Exchange at Capilano University
- April 2020 - Peak hour extension to Capilano University discontinued and replaced by the 245 Capilano University/Phibbs Exchange
- The Buzzer December 10, 1982 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer October 12, 1984 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 04-01-2017
- The Buzzer February 28, 1986 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 24-09-2015
- The Buzzer April 30, 1986 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 13-11-2017
- The Buzzer October 5, 1990 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 27-04-2020
- The Buzzer August 21, 1998 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 12-01-2016
- The Buzzer October 12, 2001 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 02-07-2018
- Capilano University interim transit exchange opens today, buzzer.translink.ca, retrieved 19-09-2009
- Spring Transit Service Changes youtube.com, retrieved 05-04-2020