Coast Mountain Bus Company route 246 'Highland / Downtown'
|Service Area||North Vancouver|
|Termini||Montroyal Blvd. at Glencanyon Drive|
W. Georgia Street at Cambie Street
|Operations||Burnaby Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||Nova Bus LFS|
246 Marine and Capilano*
246 Marine and Garden**
* Late night trips
246 Highland/Downtown is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is a north-south route connecting the Capilano Highlands and Edgemont Village in North Vancouver and Downtown Vancouver.
Northbound trips depart Downtown Vancouver from Larwill Park heading south on Cambie Street, west on W. Georgia Street through the Stanley Park Causeway and across the Lions Gate Bridge, then east on Marine Drive, north on Capilano Road, east on Ridgewood Drive, south on Edgemont Boulevard, north on Highland Boulevard, east on Montroyal Boulevard until Montroyal & Glencanyon Drive, where it continues as a 249 Lonsdale Quay.
Southbound trips depart from Montroyal Boulevard & Glencanyon Drive coming off of a 249 Delbrook and heads west on Montroyal, south on Highland Boulevard, north on Edgemont Boulevard, west on Ridgewood Drive, south on Capilano Road, then south on Garden Avenue, west on marine Drive, merging onto the Lions Gate Bridge and then through the Stanley Park Causeway onto W. Georgia Street to Larwill Park.
Some early morning northbound trips start at Capilano Road & Curling Road with no changes in routing.
Two late night southbound trips terminate at Marine Drive & Capilano Road. The last southbound trips daily and first weekday southbound trip terminate at Marine Drive & McGuire Avenue.
Points of Interest
- Vancouver Playhouse
- Stadium–Chinatown Station
- Larwill Park
- Queen Elizabeth Theatre
- Vancouver City Centre Station
- Granville Station
- Pacific Centre
- Vancouver Art Gallery
- Burrard Station
- Stanley Park
- Norgate Park
- Capilano Park
- North Vancouver Public Library – Capilano Branch
- Edgemont Village
- Westview Shopping Centre
- North Shore Neighbourhood House
- Circa 1950 - Portion of current route introduced as Capilano Canyon. Operates from Capilano at Marine to Montroyal Boulevard.
- October 1953 - Service introduced as Highland. Route operates from Fell and Marine to Highland and Tudor.
- November 1959 - Service is merged with the existing Capilano and renamed Highland–Delbrook–McKay–Marine. During peak hours, service extended to Vancouver. During off-peak hours, service extends to Park Royal. The eastern terminus of this route was Fell at Marine.
- January 1964 - North Vancouver portion of route renamed 86 Highland. Service operates from 16th St. at Hamilton Ave. (now Capilano Mall) along Westview, Delbrook, Montroyal, and Highland Blvd. to Edgemont Village with a western terminus at Park Royal. Service in the opposite direction is renamed 85 Delbrook; it originates at the Vancouver Bus Depot downtown before following a similar route to the eastern terminus at 16th and Hamilton.
- September 1982 - Off-peak service revised to terminate at Park Royal Shopping Centre
- December 1991 - Accessible service introduced on select trips
- April 1993 - Downtown terminus revised to operate from a temporary terminal on the east side of Beatty Street between Georgia and Dunsmuir adjacent to the Beatty Street Armoury with the closing of the Larwill Bus Depot
- December 1997 - Local service along West Georgia Street to and from North Vancouver approved on a permanent basis after a six month trial period
- May 2000 - Lions Gate Bridge reconstruction: daytime service to Vancouver temporarily discontinued and revised to terminate at Park Royal for several months
- October 2001 - Due to funding shortfall, midday service between North Vancouver and Downtown eliminated
- February 2007 - Downtown terminus moved from Beatty Street to current Cambie at Georgia
- June 2011 - Service to Park Royal Shopping Centre discontinued
- September 2016 - North Vancouver Transit Centre closed down, operations moved to Burnaby Transit Centre
- October 2018 - Downtown terminus moved from Hamilton & Georgia to Georgia & Hamilton for unloading, Cambie & Georgia for loading
- September 2019 - Portion between Montroyal Boulevard & Glencanyon Drive and Lonsdale Quay replaced by the 249 to reduce passenger confusion
- The Buzzer April 6, 1950 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer October 20, 1953 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer October 9, 1959 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer January 3, 1964 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer September 3, 1982 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 18-11-2017
- The Buzzer August 30, 1991 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 17-01-2017
- The Buzzer March 26, 1993 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 13-01-2017
- The Buzzer November 28, 1997 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 29-04-2010
- The Buzzer May 12, 2000 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 04-05-2020
- Backgrounder: Transit Service Reductions, translink.ca, retrieved 04-12-2009
- The Buzzer February 2, 2007 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 04-12-2009
- June 20, 2011 Transit Service Changes, translink.ca, retrieved 12-06-2011