Coast Mountain Bus Company route 240 '15th Street / Vancouver'
|Service Area||North Vancouver|
|Termini||15 Street at Grand Boulevard E.|
Vancouver (W. Georgia Street at Hamilton Street)
|Operations||Burnaby Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||Nova Bus LFS|
|Branches||240 15th Street|
School Special (PM School Special trip)
240 15th Street/Vancouver is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is an east-west route connecting North Vancouver with Downtown Vancouver. It is a Frequent Transit Network (FTN) route with service 15 minutes or better for 15 hours or more, seven days a week.
The route departs Downtown Vancouver from Cambie Street at W. Georgia Street and heads north on Cambie, west on Dunsmuir, south on Hamilton and west onto West Georgia Street. The route continues onto the Stanley Park Causeway, the Lions Gate Bridge and exits onto Marine Drive eastbound before taking Keith Road. From Keith the route takes Jones Avenue and 15th Street westbound to terminate on Grand Boulevard at 15th Street.
Westbound trips depart from 15th Street in a loop onto Grand Boulevard, 13th Street and then Grand Boulevard back onto 15th Street westbound to continue towards Downtown. Select peak morning trips westbound route from Marine Drive to Pemberton Avenue southbound, 15th Street, McGuire Avenue and then its regular route to the Lions Gate Bridge. The route terminates in Downtown at W. Georgia Street at Hamilton Street.
A School Special trip leaves from Keith Road at Delbruck Avenue in the afternoon and terminates at 15th Street at Grand Boulevard E., with no changes in routing.
Points of Interest
- Stadium–Chinatown Station
- Larwill Park
- The Orpheum
- Vancouver Public Library
- Granville Station
- Vancouver City Centre Station
- Pacific Centre
- Vancouver Art Gallery
- Burrard Station
- Lions Gate Bridge
- Norgate Park (Peak Morning Westbound Only)
- Pemberton Park (Peak Morning Westbound Only)
- Heywood Park
- Capilano Mall
- North Vancouver City Library/Civic Centre
- Lions Gate Hospital
- Boulevard Park
- Circa 1950 - Service introduced as Inter–city. Route operates from the BCMT Depot in Vancouver (Dunsmuir at Cambie) to Esplanade at Lonsdale.
- October 1953 - Route adjusted to operate to Lonsdale and 15th Street. Some trips operated to Grand Boulevard.
- September 1954 - This route, along with Lynn Valley, are re-designed. Two new routes replaced them which followed the path of the current route, they are the Intercity Grand Boulevard which extended down Grand Boulevard to 3rd Street and Ferry Wharf (now Lonsdale Quay), and the Intercity–Lynn Valley which extended up Lynn Valley Road.
- January 1964 - Service from Grand Boulevard at 15th Street to downtown Vancouver renamed 81 Vancouver via First Narrows and service in the opposite direction is renamed 82 Third Street. Unlike current routing which traveled along 15th Street, service routed along Grand Boulevard and Third Street to get to and from Marine Drive. The portion of the present-day route which traveled along 15th Street is served by the 83 Lynn Valley and 84 Esplanade at this time.
- October 1991 - Accessible service introduced on select trips
- April 1993 - Downtown terminus revised to operate from a temporary terminal on the east side of Beatty Street between Georgia and Dunsmuir adjacent to the Beatty Street Armoury with the closing of the Larwill Bus Depot
- December 1997 - Local service along West Georgia Street to and from North Vancouver approved on a permanent basis after a six month trial period
- June 2000 - Midday service increased to 15 minutes both ways
- September 2000 - Route extended in the PM peak into Downtown at 15 minute frequency
- February 2007 - Downtown terminus moved from Beatty Street to current Cambie at Georgia
- June 2008 - Route joined the Frequent Transit Network (FTN)
- September 2016 - North Vancouver Transit Centre closed down, operations moved to Burnaby Transit Centre
- October 2018 - Downtown terminus moved from Hamilton & Georgia to Georgia & Hamilton for unloading, Cambie & Georgia for loading
- The Buzzer April 6, 1950 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer November 27, 1953 Issue
- The Buzzer September 3, 1954 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer January 3, 1964 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer August 30, 1991 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 17-01-2017
- The Buzzer March 26, 1993 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 13-01-2017
- The Buzzer November 28, 1997 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 29-04-2010
- The Buzzer June 23, 2000 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 03-12-2009
- The Buzzer August 18, 2000 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 19-11-2017
- The Buzzer February 2, 2007 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 04-12-2009
- The Buzzer June 20, 2008 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 04-12-2009