Coast Mountain Bus Company route 239 'Capilano University / Park Royal'
|Service Area||North Vancouver|
|Operations||Burnaby Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||Nova Bus LFS|
|Branches||239 Capilano University|
239 Park Royal
239 Phibbs Exchange*
239 Lonsdale Quay**
* Select late-night trips
239 Capilano University/Park Royal was a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This was an east-west route running in the North Shore connecting Capilano University in North Vancouver and Park Royal in West Vancouver via Phibbs Exchange and Park Royal. It was a Frequent Transit Network (FTN) route with service 15 minutes or better for 15 hours or more of the day, seven days a week.
Eastbound trips departed Park Royal heading east on Marine Drive becoming W. 3rd Street, south on Chesterfield Avenue, east on Esplanade W. south on Lonsdale Avenue, and west on Carrie Cates Court to Lonsdale Quay. Continuing from Lonsdale Quay, trips went east on Carrie Cates Court, north on Lonsdale Avenue, east on E. 3rd Street becoming Cotton Road and Main Street, north on Mountain Highway, and east on Oxford Street to Phibbs Exchange. Continuing from Phibbs Exchange, trips went west on Oxford Street, north on Mountain Highway, east on Keith Road becoming Fern Street and Lillooet Road heading north, and east on Purcell Way to Capilano University.
Westbound trips departed Capilano University heading west on Purcell Way, south on Lillooet Road becoming Fern Street, south on Mountain Highway, and east on Oxford Street to Phibbs Exchange. From Phibbs Exchange, the route continued west on Main Street becoming Cotton Road then E. 3rd Street, south on Lonsdale Avenue, west on Carrie Cates Court to Lonsdale Quay. From Lonsdale Quay, the route continued east on Carrie Cates Court, north on Lonsdale Avenue, west on Esplanade W., north on Chesterfield Avenue, and west on W. 3rd Street becoming Marine Drive to Park Royal.
Select late-night trips in both directions terminated at Phibbs Exchange and select westbound late-night trips terminated at Lonsdale Quay.
Points of Interest
- Capilano University (Bay 5)
- Phibbs Exchange (Bay 5 – Capilano University) (Bay 10 – Park Royal)
- Park and Tilford
- Lonsdale Quay Public Market
- SeaBus Terminal
- Lonsdale Quay (Bay 1 – Capilano University) (Bay 2 – Park Royal)
- Capilano Mall
- Park Royal
- July 1976 - Service introduced as 239 Crosstown to connect Park Royal and Capilano College via Marine Drive, Third Street and Phibbs Exchange to meet the demand of east-west transit between West Vancouver and Phibbs Exchange and a future crosstown link to the SeaBus
- December 1984 - Service to Seymour Boulevard discontinued following the extension of the 214 Berkley to the Seymour Boulevard area
- October 1991 - Accessible service introduced on select trips
- September 1997 - Interlining with the211 and 212 introduced. Service to Capilano College discontinued and replaced with the 218 Capilano College/Phibbs Exchange
- April 1998 - Service re-extended to Capilano College to replace the 218 Capilano College/Phibbs Exchange
- September 1998 - Overload peak trips discontinued following the extension of the 28 to Capilano College
- April 2008 - Bus bay at Lonsdale Quay moved to the west side of the station to facilitate operational efficiency
- June 2008 - Late-night service extended from Lonsdale Quay to Capilano University
- February 1–28, 2010 - Vancouver 2010 Olympic service: Midday weekday service increased to every 10 minutes
- May 2010 - Discontinuation of eastbound AM peak hour Park Royal routing via Centre Road, Taylor Way and Marine Drive
- June 2011 - All trips revised to serve Capilano University and route added to the Frequent Transit Network (FTN). Discontinuation of westbound AM peak hour routing via Pemberton Avenue, 15th Street W. and McGuire Avenue
- September 2016 - North Vancouver Transit Centre closed down, operations moved to Burnaby Transit Centre
- September 2018 - All eastbound trips revised to operate on Lillooet Road instead of Old Lillooet Road and Mount Seymour Parkway after 1p.m. daily due to Highway 1 Lower Lynn interchange improvement works
- April 2020 - Service discontinued, with the portion between Park Royal and Phibbs Exchange replaced by the R2 Marine Drive RapidBus and the portion between Phibbs Exchange and Capilano University replaced by the 245 Capilano University/Phibbs Exchange
- The Buzzer December 7, 1984 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 08-05-2021
- The Buzzer August 30, 1991 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 17-01-2017
- The Buzzer August 22, 1997 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 03-05-2020
- The Buzzer March 20, 1998 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 12-01-2017
- The Buzzer August 21, 1998 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 12-01-2016
- The Buzzer December 14, 2007 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 19-12-2017
- The Buzzer April 11, 2008 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 19-12-2017
- February Bus Re-Routes And Additional Olympic Transit Services translink.ca, archived on Web Archive, retrieved 22-03-2021
- June 2011 Transit Service Changes, translink.ca, retrieved 12-06-2011
- 239 September 2018 Reroute Diagram, translink.ca, retrieved 03-09-2018
- Spring Transit Service Changes youtube.com, retrieved 05-04-2020