Coast Mountain Bus Company route 236 'Grouse Mountain / Lonsdale Quay'
|Service Area||North Vancouver|
|Operations||Burnaby Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||Nova Bus LFS|
|Branches||236 Grouse Mountain|
236 Lonsdale Quay
236 Pemberton Heights*
* Three early morning weekend/holiday short-turn trips
236 Grouse Mountain/Lonsdale Quay is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is a north-south route running in North Vancouver connecting Grouse Mountain and Lonsdale Quay.
Northbound trips depart Lonsdale Quay heading east on Carrie Cate Court, north on Rogers Avenue, west on Esplande W. becoming Forbes Avenue, west on 3rd Street W. becoming Marine Drive, north on Mackay Avenue, west on 22nd Street W., north on Keith Road, west on the Highway 1 off-ramp, north on Capilano Road becoming Nancy Greene Way to Grouse Mountain.
Southbound trips depart Grouse Mountain heading south on Nancy Greene Way becoming Capilano Road, east on the Highway 1 on-ramp, south on Keith Road, east on 22nd Street W., south on Mackay Avenue, west on 17th Street W., south on Lloyd Avenue, east on Marine Drive becoming 3rd Street W., then Forbes Avenue and Esplanade W., south on Rogers Avenue, west on Carrie Cates Court to Lonsdale Quay.
Two trips on Saturday mornings and one trip on Sunday/holiday mornings short-turn in Pemberton Heights. Starting at Lonsdale Quay routing via regular route until 22nd Street W. & Bridgman Avenue, where it heads north on Bridgman, west on W. 23rd Street, south on Philip Avenue and east on 22nd Street W., where it returns to Lonsdale Quay with no changes in routing.
Points of Interest
- SeaBus Terminal and Lonsdale Quay Public Market
- Lonsdale Quay (Bay 1)
- Waterfront Park
- Capilano Mall
- Heywood Park
- Hamilton Park
- MacLeod Park
- Capilano Suspension Bridge
- Capilano River Regional Park
- Glenwood Park
- Cleveland Park
- Cleveland Dam and Capilano Salmon Hatchery
- Grouse Mountain
- Grouse Mountain Skyride
- Circa 1950 - Route introduced as Capilano. Operated from Ferry Wharf (now Lonsdale Quay), to Capilano Road at Woods Road.
- October 1953 - Route extended to Capilano and Paisley via MacKay Road and Keith Road (return trips used 22nd Street instead). Some trips extended to Capilano and Montroyal as Capilano–Montroyal.
- September 1954 - Capilano–Montroyal now routed through Ridgewood Drive and Edgemont Boulevard (Edgemont Village) from Monday to Saturday. Additionally, routes in both directions now use 22nd Street.
- November 1959 - Service merged with the existing Highland and renamed Highland–Delbrook–McKay–Marine. During peak hours, service extends to Vancouver. During off-peak hours, service extended to Park Royal. The eastern terminus of this route was at Fell at Marine.
- January 1964 - Pemberton Heights portion of route renamed 88 McKay. Service went from 16th St. at Hamilton Ave. (present-day Capilano Mall) to Philip Ave. at 23rd St. via McKay Ave. and 22nd St.
- June 1988 - Northern terminus moved to Grouse Mountain 
- April 1992 - Pemberton Heights and St. Patricks portion of route replaced by the 226 St. Patricks/Lonsdale Quay/Pemberton Heights
- June 1994 - Route revised to serve Grouse Mountain year round 
- September 2006 - Service frequency improved to 15 minutes and additional service to Harbourside Industrial Area
- December 2011 - Service to Harbourside renumbered to 231
- September 2016 - North Vancouver Transit Centre closed down, operations moved to Burnaby Transit Centre
- June 2020 - Lonsdale Quay routing revised in both directions to go via Carrie Cates Court, Rogers Avenue, and Esplanade instead of via Carrie Cates Court, Lonsdale Avenue, and Esplanade following completion of transit priority access on Rogers Avenue
- The Buzzer April 6, 1950 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer November 27, 1953 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer September 3, 1954 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer October 9, 1959 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- .The Buzzer January 3, 1964 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer June 17, 1988 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 13-11-2017
- The Buzzer March 27, 1992 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 23-04-2020
- The Buzzer June 17, 1994 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 22-11-2014
- The Buzzer September 1, 2006 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 17-10-09
- The Buzzer December 2, 2011 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 11-10-2014