Coast Mountain Bus Company route 232 'Grouse Mountain / Phibbs Exch'
|Service Area||North Vancouver|
|Operations||Burnaby Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||Nova Bus LFS|
|Branches||232 Grouse Mountain|
232 Phibbs Exchange
232 Edgemont Village (one Saturday trip only)
232 Grouse Mountain/Phibbs Exchange is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This east-west route provides service between Grouse Mountain and North Vancouver.
The route departs Phibbs Exchange onto Main Street westbound becoming Cotton Road, Brooksbank Avenue to Keith Road, Upper Keith Road and then Lonsdale Avenue northbound. It turns onto Queens Road from Lonsdale continuing west to take Woodbine Drive, Highland Boulevard and then Edgemont Boulevard northwest to Capilano Road becoming Nancy Greene Way at Montroyal Boulevard to its terminus on Grouse Mountain.
Eastbound trips depart Capilano Road to Edgemont and then Queens Road. The route moves south along Lonsdale Avenue to take Lower Keith Road, Keith, Brookbank, Cotton and Main to Mountain Highway and then Oxford to Phibbs Exchange.
Select Saturday trips begin from Ridgewood Drive at Edgemont taking Ridgewood to Capilano Road, Edgemont and then the regular route to Phibbs Exchange. Certain Saturday westbound trips take Edgemont to Ridgewood Drive, Capilano Road and then terminate on Edgemont at Ridgewood Drive. Certain eastbound trips begin from and westbound trips terminate at Capilano and Clements Avenue, usually as early morning trips. Morning and afternoon peak service has trips beginning from Lonsdale Avenue at 15th Street heading eastbound or westbound trips terminating at Lonsdale Avenue at 15th Street.
Points of Interest
- Phibbs Exchange (Bay 11)
- Park and Tilford Centre
- Victoria Park
- R Sargent Park
- Centennial Theatre Centre
- Norseman Park
- North Vancouver Municipal Hall
- William Griffin Park
- North Vancouver Public Library – Capilano Branch
- Edgemont Village
- Capilano Suspension Bridge
- North Shore Neighbourhood House
- Capilano River Regional Park
- Glenwood Park
- Cleveland Park
- Grouse Mountain/Grouse Grind
- October 1953 - Keith Road portion of the route introduced as Keith–Seymour–Hastings. Operated from Ferry Wharf (now Lonsdale Quay) via Keith Road to either Kootenay Loop or to Lynnmour. This also made up parts of the current routes 211 Seymour/Vancouver and 28 Joyce Station/Phibbs Exchange.
- December 1955 - Route renamed Keith–Hastings.
- November 1959 - Queens Road portion of current route is introduced as Capilano–Queens. Route operated from Queens at Lonsdale to Cleveland Dam.
- January 1963 - Keith Road portion of present day route is renamed 92 Keith via Second Narrows for service from Kootenay Loop to Esplanade at Lonsdale via Mountain Highway and Keith Road. Service in the opposite direction is renamed 91 Vancouver via Second Narrows. Queens Road portion of present day route is renamed 90 Capilano for service from Queens at Lonsdale to Capilano at Clements (Cleveland Dam). Service in the opposite direction is renmaed 89 Queens.
- March 1967 - Routes 90 and 91 are discontinued. The 89 Queens route is altered to go from Kootenay Loop to the Seymour Terminal along Keith Road and Lonsdale Avenue, eventually continuing the previous route along Queens Road to Capilano Dam. Service in the opposite direction is renamed 92 Keith.
- Circa 1970 - Newly opened Phibbs Exchange replaces Seymour Terminal.
- October 1973 - 89 Queens/Capilano College replaced the previous 89/92 combination. Service to Kootenay Loop discontinued. The western portion of the route is extended to Grouse Mountain skyride; the eastern portion of the route extends from Phibbs Exchange to Capilano College via Lillooet Road.
- February 1974 - Service is routed to Kootenay Loop instead of Capilano College.
- May 1977 - Peak-hour service between Kootenay Loop and Lonsdale at 15th doubles to every 15 minutes.
- October 1977 - Route renamed 232 Queens
- March 1986 - Southern terminus moved to Phibbs Exchange from Kootenay Loop 
- January 1989 - Re-routed thru Brooksbank Avenue and Keith Road to serve the new Park & Tilford Shopping Centre 
- December 1991 - Accessible service introduced on select trips
- September 1994 - Service revised with every other trip terminating at Capilano Suspension Bridge instead of continuing on to Grouse Mountain
- October 2001 - Late evening service for all days discontinued due to funding shortfall and lack of ridership; passengers switched to 236 Grouse Mountain/Lonsdale Quay 
- June 2012 - Short turn trips between Phibbs Exchange and Lonsdale Ave at 15th Street eliminated
- September 2016 - North Vancouver Transit Centre closed down, operations moved to Burnaby Transit Centre
- The Buzzer October 20, 1953 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer December 30, 1955 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer November 6, 1959 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- .The Buzzer January 3, 1964 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer March 24, 1967 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer October 16, 1973 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer January 18, 1974 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer May 6, 1977 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer February 28, 1986 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 24-09-2015
- The Buzzer December 30, 1988 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 13-11-2017
- The Buzzer August 30, 1991 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 17-01-2017
- The Buzzer September 23, 1994 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 13-01-2017
- Backgrounder: Transit Service Reductions, translink.ca, retrieved 14-11-2009
- The Buzzer June 8, 2012 issue, translink.ca, retrieved 28-12-2017