Coast Mountain Bus Company route 22 'Knight / Downtown'
|Termini||Knight Street–Marine Drive Terminus|
|Operations||Vancouver Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||NFI D40LF |
Nova Bus LFS
Nova Bus LFS HEV
22 Knight to 63rd*
22 Knight to 63rd via Terminal**
22 Knight via Industrial***
22 Knight via Terminal**
22 Downtown via Terminal!
* Select trips
22 Knight/Downtown is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is a north-south route connecting South Vancouver and Downtown Vancouver running primarily on Knight Street. It is a Frequent Transit Network (FTN) route with service 15 minutes or better for 15 hours or more, seven days a week.
Northbound trips depart from its terminus underneath the Knight Street Bridge heading north on Knight Street becoming Clark Drive, west on Venables Street becoming Prior Street, north on Gore Avenue, west on E. Pender Street, south on Burrard Street, and west on Dunsmuir Street becoming Melville Street to Burrard Station.
Southbound trips depart from Burrard Station heading west on Melville Street, north on Thurlow Street, east on W. Pender Street, south on Gore Avenue, east on Prior Street becoming Venables Street, south on Clark Drive becoming Knight Street to it terminus underneath the Knight Street Bridge.
During peak hours, select trips bypass route via Main Street and Terminal Avenue between Clark Drive & E. 1st Avenue and E. Pender Street & Main Street. Of these trips, two southbound trips run only in the morning. There are six northbound trips, of which four are in the morning and two in the afternoon.
Select southbound trips short-turn at Knight Street & E. 63rd Avenue. These trips are reserved for buses ending their shifts.
Two southbound trips on weekdays, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, operate as 22 Knight via Industrial and extend across the Fraser River into Richmond. These trips start from E. Pender Street & Main Street and go via regular route, Knight Street crossing over the Knight Street Bridge, east on Bridgeport Road, south on Viking Way, west on Cambie Road, north on Jacombs Road to Jacombs & Rowan Place, then return as 22 Downtown heading north on Jacombs Road, west on Bathgate Way, north on Sweden Way, east on Bridgeport Road, north on Knight Street crossing the Knight Street Bridge, then regular route.
Points of Interest
- Burrard Station (Bay 3)
- Main Street–Science World Station (Bay 2 – Downtown) (Select peak hours trips)
- Pacific Central Station (Select peak hour trips)
- Strathcona Park
- Kensington Park
- Knight Street Bridge
- Formerly single route with two branches 22 Macdonald–16th Avenue/Downtown and 22 Knight/Macdonald before introduction of route 2 Macdonald–16th Avenue/Burrard Station
- January 1976 - Service renumbered to 22 in both directions as part of a route number pilot project; service previously operated as 22 Knight and 23 Macdonald
- January 1980 - Pender–Keefer Diversion closure: routing revised in Chinatown to take Pender Street in both directions following changes to make Pender a two-way street
- March 1982 - Limited Richmond service introduced as 22 Knight displaying No. 6 Road & Westminster on the auxiliary holder
- May 1984 - Destination sign simplification: 22 Knight–Macdonald renamed to 22 Knight/Macdonald and trips via Terminal Avenue as 22 via Terminal; 22 Macdonald–16th Avenue trips renamed to 22 Macdonald–16th Avenue/Downtown
- October 1990 - Accessible service introduced
- July 1992 - Stop introduced at Cornwall & Cypress on the 22 Macdonald Express
- April 1995 - Downtown short-turn service terminus revised to Keefer Street & Columbia Street instead of Carrall Street & Keefer Street due to Carrall Street becoming a one way southbound street; routing revised to continue west on Keefer Street from new terminus to Abbott Street then via Abbott, Pender and regular Macdonald–16th Avenue routing
- June 1997 - Short-turn service trips to downtown and to 16th Avenue at MacDonald are renumbered as 2 Yaletown/Downtown/Macdonald–16th Avenue
- April 2006 - Service extended to Dunbar Loop from 41st Avenue & Carnarvon Street; service on Carnarvon Street and 39th Avenue discontinued
- June 2016 - Route revised to operate only between downtown and Knight Street terminus due to the Burrard Corridor Upgrades; service between Dunbar Loop and Burrard Station taken over by 2 – initially as a temporary measure
- BC Transit Route Frequency, bctransit.com, retrieved 18-09-2009
- The Buzzer January 16, 1976 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 25-04-2020
- The Buzzer January 11, 1980 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer March 19, 1982 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 25-01-2017
- The Buzzer May 25, 1984 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer September 21, 1990 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 27-04-2020
- The Buzzer July 17, 1992 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 01-05-2020
- The Buzzer April 7, 1995 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 02-05-2020
- Buzzer June 13, 1997 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 26-03-2010
- The Buzzer April 24, 2006 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 20-04-2020
- The Buzzer June 17, 2016 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 27-06-2016