Coast Mountain Bus Company route 22 'Knight / Downtown'
|Termini||Knight Street–Marine Drive Terminus|
Jacombs Road at Rowan Place*
|Operations||Vancouver Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||Nova Bus LFS |
Nova Bus LFS HEV
22 Knight to 63rd (select trips)
22 Knight via Terminal (limited AM peak hour trips)
22 Downtown via Terminal (limited peak hour trips)
22 Knight via Industrial (two trips)
* two trips extend to Richmond during peak hours.
22 Knight/Downtown is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is an east-west service running from downtown Vancouver to South Vancouver. It is a Frequent Transit Network (FTN) route with service 15 minutes or better for 15 hours or more, seven days a week. It provides early morning service beginning from 5:00 AM. It is considered one of the busier routes of the system.
The route begins by leaving Burrard Station heading north on Thurlow, west along Pender, Gore, Prior and then Venables to turn southbound onto Clark Drive. The route travels south on Knight Street where Clark meets 13th Avenue until reaching its eastern terminus at Marine Drive under the Knight Street Bridge.
Select peak hour trips use Main Street and Terminal Avenue from either Pender Street (from Main for eastbound trips) or Terminal Avenue (from Clark at 1st for westbound trips).
Select southbound trips short-turn at Knight Street and 63rd Avenue.
Limited southbound trips operate as 22 Knight via Industrial, extending across the Fraser River into Richmond. The route departs from E. Pender Street and Main Street via regular route, Knight crossing over the Knight Street Bridge, east on Bridgeport, south on Viking Way, west on Cambie Road, north on Jacombs to Jacombs and Rowan. Limited northbound trips begin at Jacombs and Rowan. The route heads north on Jacombs, west on Bathgate, north on Sweden, east on Bridgeport, north on Knight crossing the Knight Street Bridge then regular route.
Points of Interest
- Burrard Station (Bay 3)
- Main Street–Science World Station (Select peak hours trips)
- Pacific Central Station (Select peak hour trips)
- Strathcona Park
- Kensington Park
- Knight Street Bridge
- Formerly single route with two branches 22 Macdonald–16th Avenue/Downtown and 22 Knight/Macdonald before introduction of route 2 Macdonald–16th Avenue/Burrard Station
- January 1976 - Service renumbered to 22 in both directions as part of a route number pilot project; service previously operated as 22 Knight and 23 Macdonald
- January 1980 - Pender–Keefer Diversion closure: routing revised in Chinatown to take Pender Street in both directions following changes to make Pender a two-way street
- March 1982 - Limited Richmond service introduced as 22 Knight displaying No. 6 Road & Westminster on the auxiliary holder
- May 1984 - Destination sign simplification: 22 Knight–Macdonald renamed to 22 Knight/Macdonald and trips via Terminal Avenue as 22 via Terminal; 22 Macdonald–16th Avenue trips renamed to 22 Macdonald–16th Avenue/Downtown
- October 1990 - Accessible service introduced
- July 1992 - Stop introduced at Cornwall & Cypress on the 22 Macdonald Express
- April 1995 - Downtown short-turn service terminus revised to Keefer Street & Columbia Street instead of Carrall Street & Keefer Street due to Carrall Street becoming a one way southbound street; routing revised to continue west on Keefer Street from new terminus to Abbott Street then via Abbott, Pender and regular Macdonald–16th Avenue routing
- June 1997 - Short-turn service trips to downtown and to 16th Avenue at MacDonald are renumbered as 2 Yaletown/Downtown/Macdonald–16th Avenue
- April 2006 - Service extended to Dunbar Loop from 41st Avenue & Carnarvon Street; service on Carnarvon Street and 39th Avenue discontinued
- June 2016 - Route temporarily shortened to operate only between downtown and Knight Street terminus due to the Burrard Corridor Upgrades; service between Dunbar Loop and Burrard Station temporarily taken over by 2
- BC Transit Route Frequency, bctransit.com, retrieved 18-09-2009
- The Buzzer January 16, 1976 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 25-04-2020
- The Buzzer January 11, 1980 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer March 19, 1982 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 25-01-2017
- The Buzzer May 25, 1984 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 26-04-2020
- The Buzzer September 21, 1990 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 27-04-2020
- The Buzzer July 17, 1992 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 01-05-2020
- The Buzzer April 7, 1995 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 02-05-2020
- The Buzzer June 13, 1997 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 26-03-2010
- The Buzzer April 24, 2006 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 20-04-2020
- The Buzzer June 17, 2016 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 27-06-2016