Coast Mountain Bus Company route 229 'Lonsdale Quay / Lynn Valley'
|Service Area||North Vancouver|
Lynn Valley Centre
|Operations||Burnaby Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||Nova Bus LFS|
|Branches||229 Lonsdale Quay|
229 Lynn Valley
229 Lonsdale Quay/Lynn Valley is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is an east-west route in North Vancouver connecting Lonsdale Quay and Lynn Valley Centre. Service runs daily every 30 minutes; every 15 minutes during PM peak hours; and every 20 minutes on weekend/holiday afternoons. Combined with the 230, Frequent Transit Network service is provided along Lonsdale Avenue from Lonsdale Quay to 29th Street.
Eastbound trips depart Lonsdale Quay heading east on Carrie Cates Court, north on Rogers Avenue, east on Esplanade W., north on Lonsdale Avenue, east on 29th Street, E. north on Lynn Valley Road to Lynn Valley Centre.
Westbound trips depart Lynn Valley Centre heading east on Lynn Valley Road, south on Mountain Highway, west on 27th Street E., north on Lynn Valley Road, west on 29th Street E., south on Lonsdale Avenue, west on Esplanade W. south on Rogers Avenue, west on Carrie Cates Court to Lonsdale Quay.
Points of Interest
- Lonsdale Quay Public Market
- SeaBus Terminal
- Lonsdale Quay (Bay 6)
- Victoria Park
- North Vancouver City Library
- North Vancouver City Hall
- R Sargent Park
- Norseman Park
- Centennial Theatre
- Lynn Valley Centre
- Lynn Valley Centre (Bay 1)
- Early 1950s - Mountain Hwy–Seymour Terminal mid-day shopper service introduced. When North Van routes numbered into 80-94 series in early 1960s route becomes 93 Mountain Hwy/94 Seymour. Route operates via Mountain Hwy between Keith and Lynn Valley Road
- 1965 - Route becomes 93 Mountain Hwy in both directions. Rerouted via Arborlynn, Appin, Alderlynn, and 20th to provide service to the lower area of Westlynn terrace, and extended to upper Westlynn Terrace via Ross Road, Hoskins Rd, Kilkenny, Wembley to Hoskins and return.
- 1967 - Route extended from Kilkenny to Hoskins and Kilmarnock.
- October 1973 - Existing route becomes 93 Westlynn when 910 Mountain Hwy fastBUS service introduced (eventually the 210 Upper Lynn Valley/Vancouver). 93 service remains mid day only, Monday-Saturday.
- February 1974 - Route restored to Seymour Terminal (Seymour Blvd. and Grantham Place). Additionally, the route now operates through all of Westlynn Terrace via Arborlynn, Hoskins, and Ross. Previously, the route used 20th Street and Mountain Highway.
- June 1977 - Coinciding with the introduction of the SeaBus, route becomes 229 Westlynn, operating full time. Rerouted to Lynn Canyon Park area via Ross, Duval, Peters, and Lynn Valley Rd, and extended from Lynn Valley Centre to Lonsdale Quay via 29th St and Lonsdale Ave; Seymour Terminal service discontinued; new 29th St routing replaces service west of 29th St hill by old 80 Lonsdale via Tempe route
- 1982 - New GMC T6H 5307N "Hillclimber" buses with 6V92TA engines introduced on route to better deal with steep grades on 29th St hill.
- Early 1985 - Route renamed 229 Lonsdale Quay/ Phibbs Exchange Easbound short turns sign as 229 Lynn Valley Centre
- October 1991 - Accessible service introduced on select trips
- October 2001 - Hourly Sunday/holiday service introduced from Lynn Valley Centre to Westover and Lynn Canyon Park
- December 2007 - Introduction of low-floor service with Nova Bus LFS buses
- Winter 2008 - Operations relocated from Burnaby Transit Centre to North Vancouver Transit Centre
- December 2013 - Route split, with Lynn Valley Centre to Phibbs Exchange portion becoming the 227 Lynn Valley/Phibbs Exchange.
- September 2016 - North Vancouver Transit Centre closed down, operations moved to Burnaby Transit Centre
- June 2020 - Lonsdale Quay routing revised in both directions to go via Carrie Cates Court, Rogers Avenue, Esplanade, and Lonsdale Avenue instead of via Carrie Cates Court and Lonsdale Avenue following the completion of transit priority access on Rogers Avenue
- The Buzzer October 16, 1973 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer January 18, 1974 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer August 30, 1991 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 17-01-2017
- Service Cuts for October 15, 2001 listed by Route Number, translink.ca, retrieved 03-12-2009
- Service Cuts for October 15, 2001 listed by Route Number translink.ca, archived on Web Archive, retrieved 01-03-2021
- The Buzzer December 14, 2007 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 13-01-2017
- CMBC 2009-2010 Service Plan. portcoquitlam.ca, retrieved 27-02-2010
- The Buzzer April 11, 2008 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 03-12-2009
- The Buzzer December 13, 2013, translink.ca, retrieved 17-09-2016