Coast Mountain Bus Company route 228 'Lynn Valley / Lonsdale Quay'
|Service Area||North Vancouver|
|Termini||Underwood Avenue at Evelyn Street|
|Operations||Burnaby Transit Centre|
|Vehicles||Nova Bus LFS|
|Branches||228 Lynn Valley|
228 Lonsdale Quay
228 Grand Blvd & 15 Street*
* Late-night southbound trips
228 Grand Boulevard is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This is a north-south route connecting Lynn Valley and Lonsdale Quay, running primarily on Grand Boulevard in North Vancouver. Service runs daily every 30 minutes, increasing to every 15–20 minutes during peak hours.
Northbound trips depart Lonsdale Quay heading east on Carrie Cates Court, north on Rogers Avenue, east on Esplanade W., north onto Lonsdale Avenue, east on 3rd Street E., north onto Queensbury Avenue, east on Keith Road E., north on Grand Boulevard E., west on E. 13th Street, north on Grand Boulevard W., east on 15th Street E., north on Grand Boulevard E. becoming Boulevard Crescent then Lynn Valley Road, west on Dempsey Road, and north on Underwood Avenue to Underwood & Evelyn Street.
Southbound trips depart Underwood Avenue & Evelyn Street heading north on Underwood, west on Coleman Street, south on Hoskins Road, west on Lynn Valley Road becoming Boulevard Crescent and Grand Boulevard E., west on Keith Road E., south on Queensbury Avenue, west on 3rd Street E., south on Lonsdale Avenue, west on Esplanade W. south on Rogers Avenue, west on Carrie Cates Court to Lonsdale Quay.
Late-night southbound trips on weekdays and Sundays/holidays terminate at Grand Boulevard E. & 15th Street E. Select northbound trips start at Grand Boulevard E. & E. 15th Street towards Lynn Valley. When school is in session, one southbound trip in the afternoon starts at Grand Boulevard E. & E. 19th Street with no changes in routing.
Points of Interest
- Lonsdale Quay (Bay 2)
- Lonsdale Quay Public Market
- Emerald Park
- Boulevard Park
- Sutherland Secondary School
- Lynn Valley Centre (Bay 1 – Lynn Valley) (Bay 2 – Lonsdale Quay)
- Lynn Valley Centre
- Kilmer Park
- Lynn Valley Park
- Circa 1950 - Route introduced as Lynn Valley. Operated from Ferry Wharf (now Lonsdale Quay) to Lynn Valley Road at Dempsey Road.
- September 1954 - This route, along with Inter–city, are re-designed. The current path from Lynn Valley to Lonsdale Quay was made up of two routes: Intercity–Lynn Valley, which serviced the area above 15th Street; and Intercity–Grand Boulevard, which serviced the area below 15th Street to Ferry Wharf.
- October 1959 - Lynn Valley intercity route operated during peak hours only. During off-peak hours, a local Lynn Valley service operated from Ferry Wharf to Lynn Valley at Dempsey.
- January 1964 - Portion of the present-day route between Esplanade at Lonsdale and Grand Boulevard at 15th Street was serviced by the 81 Vancouver via First Narrows and the 82 Third Street. The portion of the present-day route between Grand Boulevard at 15th Street and Lynn Valley Road at Dempsey Road was serviced by the 83 Lynn Valley and the 84 Esplanade. These two routes then travelled to and from Esplanade at Lonsdale via 15th Street and Lonsdale Avenue.
- June 1985 - Lynn Valley routing through Grand Boulevard revised to go via Grand Boulevard E., 13th Street, Grand Boulevard W., 15th Street, Grand Boulevard E.
- December 1991 - Accessible service introduced on select trips
- September 2007 - Late night trip on route 230 Upper Lonsdale/Lonsdale Quay converted to route 228 providing a connection for riders of the last SeaBus trip to North Vancouver
- September 2016 - North Vancouver Transit Centre closed down, operations moved to Burnaby Transit Centre. Short-turn terminus moved from 3rd at St. Davids to Grand at 15th Street
- April 2020 - Northbound routing on Grand Boulevard temporarily revised to bypass E. 13th Street, Grand Boulevard W., and 15th Street E. due to COVID-19 related road closures
- June 2020 - Lonsdale Quay routing revised in both directions to go via Carrie Cates Court, Rogers Avenue, Esplanade, and Lonsdale Avenue instead of via Carrie Cates Court and Lonsdale Avenue following completion of transit priority access on Rogers Avenue
- June 2021 - Service renamed from 228 Lynn Valley/Lonsdale Quay to 228 Grand Boulevard
- The Buzzer April 6, 1950 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer September 3, 1954 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer October 9, 1959 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer January 3, 1964 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 10-12-2016
- The Buzzer June 21, 1985 Issue translink.ca, retrieved 16-05-2020
- The Buzzer August 30, 1991 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 17-01-2017
- The Buzzer August 24, 2007 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 03-12-2009