Coast Mountain Bus Company route 16 '29th Avenue Stn / Arbutus'
|Termini||29th Avenue Station|
63rd Avenue Loop
|Operations||Vancouver Transit Centre|
Burnaby Transit Centre (select trips only)
|Vehicles||NFI E40LFR |
Nova Bus LFS (occasionally and select trips)
Nova Bus LFS HEV (occasionally)
|Branches||16 29th Avenue Station|
16 To Kingsway (few trips)
16 Hastings (one trip)
16 Downtown (PM School Special)
16 PNE (PNE special trips)*
* trips terminate at Colosseum Loop at N. Renfrew Street & Dundas Street
16 29th Avenue Station/Arbutus is a bus route operated by Coast Mountain Bus Company in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
This route provides east-west service to connect communities such as Marpole, Kerrisdale, Quilchena, Hastings-Sunrise and Renfrew Heights via Downtown.
The route leaves its western terminus on West 63rd Avenue at Granville taking 63rd Avenue, Adera to 64th Avenue and Angus Drive to access West Boulevard where Angus meets 61st Avenue. It takes West Boulevard/Arbutus Street north to turn onto 12th Avenue eastbound and then Granville Street to access Downtown via Granville Bridge. It exits the bridge routing by Granville northbound followed by Hastings eastbound, then Renfrew southbound, Boyd Diversion, Nootka Street and then 29th Avenue to reach its terminus.
Certain trips begin or end on Earles at Kingsway taking Earles, 29th Avenue to 29th Avenue Station and then the regular route. One of those trips on early weekday mornings short-turn at Hastings & Nanaimo becoming a 7 Nanaimo Station and returns as a 7 To Hastings to become a 16 29th Avenue Station.
Weekend, holiday/days preceding holidays and Friday evening service after 9pm in Downtown routes by Seymour Street northbound and Howe Street southbound when access to Granville Street is restricted to pedestrians only.
On weekdays when school is in session, Burnaby Transit Centre does a trip on the 16 Downtown departing from 63rd Avenue Loop, terminating at W. Hastings Street & Homer Street with no changes in routing.
In late August and early September during The Fair at the Pacific National Exhibition, Vancouver Transit Centre also does trips on the 16 PNE which run from 29th Avenue Station to Coliseum Loop at N. Renfrew Street & Dundas Street by continuing north on Renfrew Street instead of turning west onto Hastings Street. Southbound specials start from the loop and head south on Renfrew Street, left onto E 22nd Avenue, left onto Slocan Street, and again onto 29th Avenue to a bay set aside for the PNE specials.
Points of Interest
- Riverview Park
- Kerrisdale Community Centre/Centennial Park
- Kerrisdale Rink and Park
- Arbutus Shopping Centre
- Arbutus Club
- Granville Station
- Vancouver City Centre Station
- Pacific Centre
- Vancouver Art Gallery and Robson Square
- Downtown Entertainment District
- Harbour Centre
- Victoria Square
- Pacific National Exhibition/Hastings Park
- Renfrew Station
- Renfrew Park
- 29th Avenue Station (Bay 3 – Arbutus) (Bay 5 – PNE)
- Formerly run as route 16 29th Avenue Station/Downtown
- April 1997 - Route combined with 14 Arbutus/Downtown in the evening; route becomes 16 29th Avenue Station at Granville Bridge and becomes 14 Arbutus on Hastings Street
- September 1997 - Route takes over 14 Arbutus/Downtown to form the current route of 16 29th Avenue Street/Arbutus
- October 2001 - Late-night Owl service cancelled due to funding shortfall
- April 2006 - Service rerouted due to construction of the Canada Line; service to travel along Seymour northbound and Howe southbound instead of Granville Street
- December 2007 - Service becomes accessible and bike rack equipped with New Flyer Industries E40LFR low-floor trolleys
- September 2010 - Service revised to operate along Granville Street in Downtown with the completion of the Canada Line
- June 2020 - Broadway Subway construction: routing revised to go via 12th Avenue and Granville Street; service on Arbutus Street between Broadway and 12th Avenue and on Broadway between Arbutus and Granville temporarily discontinued
- BC Transit System Route Frequency, bctransit.com, retrieved 18-09-09
- The Buzzer April 4, 1997 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 25-03-2010
- The Buzzer August 8 1997 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 16-11-2017
- Service Cuts for October 15, 2001 listed by Route Number translink.ca, retrieved 23-04-2020
- The Buzzer April 24, 2006 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 23-04-2010
- The Buzzer December 14, 2007 Issue, translink.ca, retrieved 09-11-2009