Charlottesville Area Transit
Charlottesville Area Transit is the public transit provider in the independent city of Charlottesville and Albemarle County, Virginia.
Before 2010 the system was named Charlottesville Transit Service.
Charlottesville Transit Service was formed in 1980 after the City of Charlottesville took over operations from Yellow Bus Lines.
- UVA FREE Trolley - downtown Charlottesville to the UVA campus
- LINK Greenbrier/Meadowbrook Heights (Mon-Fri) - demand response route
- 1A East Market - downtown Charlottesville to the Woolen Mills area via East Market Street
- 1B PVCC - downtown to the Piedmont Virginia Community College
- 2A Locust Avenue - downtown to the Locust Avenue neighborhood and Martha Jefferson Hospital
- 2B Southwood - downtown to the Albemarle County Office Building southwest of the city via Ridge and 5th Streets
- 3 Belmont (Mon-Sat) - downtown Charlottesville to the Belmont and Belmont Park neighborhoods south of downtown via Monticello, Hinton and Altavista Avenues
- 4 UVA Hospital/Fry’s Spring/Downtown - downtown Charlottesville, UVA Hospital on Lee Street, Fry’s Spring neighborhood via Elliot and Cherry Avenues, with deviations into the Forrest Hills Park/Prospect Avenue and Johnson Village neighborhoods.
- 5 Barracks Road to Walmart - Barracks Road Shopping Center, Walmart/Sam’s Club, Greenbrier Drive and Four Seasons areas, Fashion Square Mall, and the Rio Hill and Albemarle Square Shopping Centers.
- 6 Ridge/UVA/Downtown - downtown Charlottesville and the Ridge Street/Jordan Hills Park area.
- 7 Downtown to Fashion Square - Downtown Transit Station to Fashion Square Mall via West Main Streetand US 29 (Emmet Street North/Seminole Trail), UVA, Barracks Road Shopping Center and Seminole Square Shopping Center.
- 8 Seminole/Downtown - downtown to Barracks Road and Seminole Square Shopping Centers via Preston Avenue, Barracks Road and US 29 (Emmet Street North/Seminole Trail).
- 9 Charlottesville High School (Mon-Sat) - downtown to Charlottesville High School via the 10th & Page and Barracks‐Rugby neighborhoods.
- 10 Pantops (Mon-Fri) - downtown to the Richmond Road corridor area via High Street, Pantops Shopping Center, Martha Jefferson Hospital.
- 21 Belmont - follows Route 3’s alignment.
- 22 Prospect Avenue/UVA Hospital - portions of Routes 4 and 6 between downtown, UVA Hospital and the neighborhoods southeast of downtown.
- 23 PVCC - downtown to PVCC and follows the same alignment as Route 1B.
- 24 Pantops - Downtown Transit Station to the Wilton Farm area east of downtown and Pantops Shopping Center.
Current one-way fare is 75 cents. Day Passes are available on the bus for $1.50 and are good for the day of service. Monthly passes are available for $20 and are good for the month issued. UVA students/staff/faculty ride free when I.D. is presented.
- Address: 1545 Avon St. Extended, Charlottesville, VA 22903
- Email: CAT@charlottesville.org
- Phone: 434-970-3649
Downtown Transit Station
- Address: 615 E. Water St., Charlottesville, VA
|400||2008||NABI||LFB-29||Cummins ISB||Allison B300R5|
|808-810||1997||Advanced Vehicle Systems||AVS 22-102||Solectrica
direct drive propulsion system
|Sold to the Greater Portland Transit District of Portland, ME.|
|Detroit Diesel 6V92TA||Allison V731||Bus was retired/sold in 2005.|
|Detroit Diesel 6V92TA||Allison V731||
|Detroit Diesel 6V92TA||Allison V730|
|820-829 (2nd)||1998||NFI||D35LF||Detroit Diesel Series 50||Allison B400R4|
|830-831||2000||Chance||AH-28||Cummins ISB||Allison B300R5||Replaced by 400-403.|
|833||2004||Optima||AH-28||Cummins ISB||Allison B300R5|
|840-841||2001||NFI||D35LF||Detroit Diesel Series 50||Allison B400R5||
|842-847||2002||Chance||LFB-29||Cummins ISB||Allison B300R5||843 & 844 were retired due to engine fires.|
|848||2002||Optima||AH-28||Cummins ISB||Allison B300R5||Replaced by 401-403.|
|849||2004||Optima||LFB-29||Cummins ISB||Allison B300R5||