Canadian Car and Foundry
Canadian Car and Foundry (CC&F) also known as "Can Car," manufactured bus, railroad rolling stock and later aircraft for the Canadian market. CC&F history goes back to 1897, but the main company was established in 1909 from an amalgamation of several companies and later became part of Hawker Siddeley Canada through the purchase of A.V.Roe (Avro) Canada in the late 1950s.
Canada Car & Foundry (CC&F) was established in 1909 in Montreal as the result of an amalgamation of three other companies: Rhodes Curry Company of Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada Car Company of Turcot, Quebec and Dominion Car and Foundry of Montreal, Quebec.
In 1911 the CC&F Board of Directors recognized that the company could improve its efficiency if they were able to produce their own steel castings, a component that was becoming common to all their products. They purchased Montreal Steel Works at Longue Pointe, Quebec, the largest producer of steel castings in Canada, and the Ontario Iron and Steel at Welland, Ontario, which included both a steel foundry and a rolling mill.
A few years later, CC&F acquired the assets of Pratt and Letchworth, a Brantford, Ontario, rail car manufacturer. In the latter part of World War I the expanding company opened a new plant in Fort William (now Thunder Bay) to manufacture rail cars.
The Second World War
By 1939, with war on the horizon, Canada Car & Foundry and its Chief Engineer, Elsie MacGill, were contracted by the RAF to produce aircraft.
After the Second World War, the CC&F returned to its roots as a rail car manufacturer. They also made a successful leap into the streetcar business, supplying Montreal, Toronto, Regina, Calgary, Vancouver and the Brazilian cities of Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo with various types of streetcars. Originally, the company's products were mostly from J.G. Brill and Company's roster, although later they would build PCC's under licence. Buses were produced at Fort William, Ontario (later Thunder Bay) and railcars at both Fort William and Montreal.
As well as supplying the vast majority of the TTC's new PCC's starting in 1938, they were also involved in CN's massive 1952 new passenger car order, including supplying over 200 brand new EM85 coaches in 1954 and 1955.
In 1957, wishing to diversify, the British Hawker Siddeley Group, through its Canadian subsidiary A.V.Roe (Avro) Canada, acquired CC&F. In 1962, Avro Canada was dissolved and its assets became part of Hawker Siddeley Canada.
- CD-36A (1950-54)
- CD-40A (1951)
- CD-44A (1952-57)
- CD-45 (1957-59)
- CD-52/CD-52A (1955-59)
- TD-43 (1960-62)
- TD-51 (1960-61)