Broome County Transit
Broome County Transit or B.C. Transit serves the urban areas of Broome County, New York which includes the City of Binghamton, Johnson City, Endicott and Vestal. It was established in 1968, taking over the assets of the private Triple Cities Traction Corporation. B.C. Transit operates 22 fixed service routes with more than 900 designated bus stops covering 80 square miles of service area.
Aside from other larger sized New York agencies, Broome County Transit is operated by Broome County, as the Department of Public Transportation. Broome County Transit is the largest upstate agency with this arrangement, and the third largest in the entire state of New York.
B.C. Country runs five demand-response routes in the rural areas of Broome County. The service targets residents living outside the Triple Cities (city of Binghamton, village of Johnson City, and village of Endicott) such as Whitney Point, Lisle, Port Crane, Harpursville, Kirkwood, Deposit, Windsor, Maine, Glen Aubrey, Chenango Forks, Chenango Bridge and certain areas in Vestal.
In addition, Broome County operates the Greater Binghamton Transportation Center (where Greyhound, Trailways and Coach USA (Shortline, Hudson Transit Lines and Chenango Valley Bus) buses operate from) and attached BC Junction, where local buses connect.
Passengers can request to be dropped off at designated bus stops or in areas that are determined to be safe by the driver.
|Service Period||Beginning of Service||End of Service|
|Monday to Friday||5:20 AM||12:30 AM|
|Saturday||5:20 AM||10:45 PM|
|Sunday||9:50 AM||5:45 PM|
- 3 Park Avenue (Mon-Sat) - Downtown Binghamton, Binghamton General Hospital, Ross Park Zoo
- 5 Vestal Avenue - Downtown Binghamton, University Plaza, Binghamton University
- 7 Clinton Street - Workforce NY, First Ward Senior Center, Airport Road Loop, Downtown Johnson City, Wilson Hospital
- 8 Front Street/BCC - Upper Front Street, Broome Community College (BCC), Northgate Shopping Plaza, Giant Plaza, Lowes Plaza, Chenango Park & Ride, Workforce NY
- 9 BU-SUNY Broome Advantage - Binghamton University, University Plaza, University Downtown Center, Downtown Binghamton, SUNY Broome
- 12 Conklin Avenue - Downtown Binghamton, Conklin Ave., Saratoga Apartments, Broome County Library
- 15 Leroy Street/S.U.N.Y. - Downtown Binghamton, Floral Ave., Johnson City, Binghamton University
- 16 BU Express - Binghamton University, Floral Ave, Main St, University Downtown Center
- 17 Johnson City - Binghamton University, Elmira Business Institute, Floral Ave, Downtown Johnson City, BOCES, Broome Developmental Center, Legacy Bay, Wegmans, Oakdale Mall
- 28 Robinson Street - Good Shepherd Fairview Home, Downtown Binghamton, Greater Binghamton Health Center, Carlisle Apartments
- 35 Binghamton - Endicott - Downtown Binghamton, Downtown Johnson City, Oakdale Mall, Downtown Endicott, IBM/EIT, Glendale Tech Park
- 40 Chenango Street - Downtown Binghamton, Binghamton Plaza, Chenango Bridge Park & Ride, Hillcrest
- 47 Vestal - Endicott - Vestal Town Square Mall, Willow Point Nursing Home, Binghamton University, Vestal Nursing Home, Downtown Endicott
- 48 Shoppers Express Oakdale Mall - Binghamton University, Oakdale Mall, Wegman's
- 51 K Commuter (Mon-Fri)
- 53 Corporate Park (Mon-Sat)
- 55 Endwell Shuttle
- 57 Shoppers' Special - Downtown Binghamton, Binghamton University, Campus Plaza, Parkway Plaza, Townsquare Mall, Oakdale Mall
- 59 West Corners Shuttle (Mon-Sat)
- 91 Shoppers Special Express (Mon-Sun)
- Administration/Garage: 413 Old Mill Rd., Vestal, NY
- Terminal: BC Junction Lot - Prospect and Henry Streets (behind Greater Binghamton Transportation Center)
|101-106 (2nd)||2009||OBI||Orion VII
|Cummins ISB||BAE Systems
HybriDrive hybrid system
|601-606 (2nd)||2010||OBI||Orion VII EPA10 HEV
|Cummins ISB6.7||BAE Systems
|701-707 (2nd)||2014||Gillig||Low Floor 40'
|721-727||2017||Gillig||Low Floor 40'
|741-748||2018, 2019||Gillig||Low Floor 40'
|3003-3005, 3010||2000||Nova Bus||LFS||Detroit Diesel Series 40|
|3022, 3025, 3030||2000||Nova Bus||LFS||Detroit Diesel Series 40|
|9915, 9918, 9927, 9930, 9932||1999||Nova Bus||LFS||Detroit Diesel Series 40|
Broome County, according to the Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 115 has recently explored options of privatization of the agency instead of keeping the agency in its present form, a move not supported by the ATU. The ATU, instead, supports the creation of a multi-county agency, encompassing seven Southern Tier counties such as Chemung, Tompkins, Broome, Chenango, Delaware and Otsego.
- WBNG.com, Broome County Transit bus crashes into tree on Riverside Drive, July 5, 2018
- Maggie Gilroy, Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin, Eight new buses hit Broome County streets, Feburary 22, 2019
- Proposed Resolutions (pgs. 26-27), Broome County. Dated October 22, 2015, retrieved on November 21, 2015.
- http://www.atu.org/atu-pdfs/LEGIS_BroomeCounty.pdf Broome County Transit Keep It Public