Articulated Light Rail Vehicle
|Years of manufacturer||1987 to 1990|
|Years of operation||1987 to present|
|Track gauge||1495 millimetres|
The Articulated Light Rail Vehicle (ALRV) is a type of streetcar currently used by the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) in Toronto, Canada. The ALRV is an extended version of the Canadian Light Rail Vehicle (CLRV) designed by the Urban Transportation Development Corporation (UTDC).
During production of CLRVs the order was reduced by four cars with the intention to produce two articulated vehicles. Ultimately, one prototype and demonstrator was built in 1982 from two frames supplied by Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft. Unlike the production vehicles, it was built with a pantograph, flip-dot destination sign, and hand controls. Numbered 4900 and painted in UTDC's corporate orange, it was loaned to the TTC for testing. The car was later returned to UTDC and was subsequently scrapped following an accident at their plant with a production vehicle.
The articulated vehicle proved useful on the TTC's busiest streetcar routes. The Commission ordered 52 ALRVs at a cost of approximately $1.4 million each. The first 11 ALRV streetcars were largely built at the Can-Car Rail facility in Thunder Bay, Ontario. They were completed, along with the remaining 41 streetcars, at the UTDC facility in Millhaven, Ontario. The cars are still considered to have been built by Can-Car Rail as they won the order in 1982. The first car was delivered on June 11, 1987 and entered service on the route 507 Long Branch on January 19, 1988.
|Length: 75.7 ft|
|Weight: 47,655 kg|
|Track gauge: 4 ft., 10 7/8 in. (1495 mm)|
|4 x Brush Electrical Machines 600 V DC motors; each rated 87 HP (65 kW) continuous, 123 HP (92 kW) (1 hour rating)|
|50 mph or 80 km/h|
|61 seated, 155 including standing|
|Year||Thumbnail||Serial||Fleet Number||Current Owner|
|1987||87-76-1680||4204||Halton County Radial Railway|