Redhead

TTC's Next Generations Doors Replacement.

I don't think we need a list really, because it seems the doors are only replaced on an as needed basis. That's just my opinion on it anyways.

Or are they really replacing the doors on all of the NG's?

can somebody get a picutre of 1660 with the new doors

Go to the special sightings and you'll see 1675's doors instead. It's the same thing. 2nd last page.

Question: Referring to the picture posted on the Special Sightings thread ( http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?s=&showt...st&p=340780 ), does the rear doors have the original "swing-out" configuration? Or has it been reconfigured to "slide-glide" (like the front doors)?

I don't think it's a slide glide based on the design it's more of a swing out. At least that was my view when i saw 1675 from far away on the 52 last night.

Question: Referring to the picture posted on the Special Sightings thread ( http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?s=&showt...st&p=340780 ), does the rear doors have the original "swing-out" configuration? Or has it been reconfigured to "slide-glide" (like the front doors)?

looks like they still swing out. as there is no visible hinges on the outside of the back doors (like on the front doors....)

That's true. Also installing slide-glides would mean re-tinkering with the door mechanisms, which will cost money and require new parts (and making it more complicated than just putting on a couple of new doors). I don't really find anything wrong with the current doors, except for the odd one closing obnoxiously slow or one that closes way too forcefully.

In the pic, the rear doors doesn't look like it as a push-bar.

That's true. Also installing slide-glides would mean re-tinkering with the door mechanisms, which will cost money and require new parts (and making it more complicated than just putting on a couple of new doors). I don't really find anything wrong with the current doors, except for the odd one closing obnoxiously slow or one that closes way too forcefully.

The OG are the ones that needs to be replaced. and the rear seat arragement. I notice more and more people complainnig about them now.

The OG are the ones that needs to be replaced. and the rear seat arragement. I notice more and more people complainnig about them now.

It could be touch-tape, I don't know.

And yes, I have noticed and experienced the OG door issues. And some of the D40LF's as well. As for the rear seating arrangement, I don't ride them enough to complain about them. But, from riding them before, when they were common in my area, the raised quad of seats over the wheel wells do feel quite awkward when you sit there -- too little legroom plus the fact that you're a head over everyone else. But the "King Seat" on the S50EGR's are just awesome. :blink: Why don't they put one on the 7XXX's?

And yes, I have noticed and experienced the OG door issues. And some of the D40LF's as well. As for the rear seating arrangement, I don't ride them enough to complain about them. But, from riding them before, when they were common in my area, the raised quad of seats over the wheel wells do feel quite awkward when you sit there -- too little legroom plus the fact that you're a head over everyone else. But the "King Seat" on the S50EGR's are just awesome. :blink: Why don't they put one on the 7XXX's?

It's still push bar. I saw it myself when someone opened the rear doors.

And yes, I have noticed and experienced the OG door issues. And some of the D40LF's as well. As for the rear seating arrangement, I don't ride them enough to complain about them. But, from riding them before, when they were common in my area, the raised quad of seats over the wheel wells do feel quite awkward when you sit there -- too little legroom plus the fact that you're a head over everyone else. But the "King Seat" on the S50EGR's are just awesome. :blink:Why don't they put one on the 7XXX's?

They have them on the MT Orion Vs. They're going to retire soon anyways. it would be nice though.

Just wondering though, why do the S50 V's and VII's have the protrusion at the back row of seats while the D40LF does not? And since I'm not familiar with the RTS at all, I think that it doesn't have the protrusion, can someone confirm?

Just wondering though, why do the S50 V's and VII's have the protrusion at the back row of seats while the D40LF does not? And since I'm not familiar with the RTS at all, I think that it doesn't have the protrusion, can someone confirm?

Simple, the seats on the D40LF and the RTS are mounted higher up and also the engine compartment has more space compared to 7000 and 7400+ series Orion's. And yes the RTS does not have any protrusions on the back row of seats like the said Orion's do.

Simple, the seats on the D40LF and the RTS are mounted higher up and also the engine compartment has more space compared to 7000 and 7400+ series Orion's. And yes the RTS does not have any protrusions on the back row of seats like the said Orion's do.

Alright, Thanks!

It's more to it than that.

The S50 has some sort of device that sticks out of the top at the driveshaft end - I was told it was an emissions sensor. Basically, it can't be moved or removed from the engine.

On some bus designs, such as the Orion V, T-drive Classic's, Orion VII and NABI's, the end of the engine sits underneath the rear row of seats. If an S50 is installed, that device sticks out higher than the row of seats, thus they need to install this box. Other engine models don't have anything there, so the rear row of seats is flat across.

In the case of the D40LF, the rear row of seats is so far forward that is it past the end of the engine - the device sticks up, but is behind the back of the middle seat.

In the case of the RTS, the drivetrain is set up as a V-drive with the engine across the bus and the transmission at the very back right corner. The device still sticks up, but is behind the rear row of seats.

Dan

They still have swing-out rear door.

It's more to it than that.

The S50 has some sort of device that sticks out of the top at the driveshaft end - I was told it was an emissions sensor. Basically, it can't be moved or removed from the engine.

On some bus designs, such as the Orion V, T-drive Classic's, Orion VII and NABI's, the end of the engine sits underneath the rear row of seats. If an S50 is installed, that device sticks out higher than the row of seats, thus they need to install this box. Other engine models don't have anything there, so the rear row of seats is flat across.

In the case of the D40LF, the rear row of seats is so far forward that is it past the end of the engine - the device sticks up, but is behind the back of the middle seat.

In the case of the RTS, the drivetrain is set up as a V-drive with the engine across the bus and the transmission at the very back right corner. The device still sticks up, but is behind the rear row of seats.

Dan

it's basically just the overall height of the engine, the rocker cover with it's overhead cam is i'd wager 4/12" deep.

plus, on s50 engines in peticular, there's a counterbalance shaft assembly between the bottom of the block and the oil sump to cancel out the vibrations the 4 cylinders produce. that's gotta be another 3 inches there.

and all that's tacked on to an already tall block with a long piston stroke

they still wanted some bottom clearance for obvious reasons, so something had to give.

That is right. I have seen the inside of 7800s with the rear seats up in the "service position" at Birchmount, and in fact the top of the engine (valve cover) is right there, no more than a few inches from the base of the jump seat.

Only the "crappy" series need their rear doors replaced; the 06-07 VIIs have no problems with their doors.

it's basically just the overall height of the engine, the rocker cover with it's overhead cam is i'd wager 4/12" deep.

plus, on s50 engines in peticular, there's a counterbalance shaft assembly between the bottom of the block and the oil sump to cancel out the vibrations the 4 cylinders produce. that's gotta be another 3 inches there.

they still wanted some bottom clearance for obvious reasons, so something had to give.

I have been learned.

Thanks.

Dan

One more thing regarding this that hasn't been fully answered over the years and though I know you haven't worked on a LFS before, but I'm wondering if you can shed some light into.

How come the S50 engine can never be fitted into the LFS? It can be put into the weird V drive RTS and also the similar left mounted engine Orion VI but just not the LFS...