Welcome to the updated CPTDB!

If you prefer an older theme, you can change it back by scrolling to the very bottom and clicking on "Theme" on the bottom right. However, you can also change the background color/image by clicking on the "photo icon" in the black bar with your username at the top of the page.

You may notice some slowness for the next few hours while messages are reindexed.

Click the X on the top right of this box to dismiss this message.

Sign in to follow this  
BCT-3122-D800-10240

Nova Bus LFS 2010 #8101-8130

I believe they're both motion sensors, just different styles. The doors on 7963+ and 6001+ are very easy to open if you follow the instructions (including the part about WAITING).

Any of the doors are easy in the fleet if everyone would just learn to read and wait !

Even better are driver operated rear doors are even better like bus #'s 5108-5117.

Thats so smart why dont we just do what edmonton has done?

Also on a different note I rode 8130 and the yellow cord on the back right is broken and the bell doesnt work on that side and the stop button has a garbage bag wrapped around it because its broke aswell

Also on a different note I rode 8130 and the yellow cord on the back right is broken and the bell doesnt work on that side and the stop button has a garbage bag wrapped around it because its broke aswell

Lol, that was fast.

Lol, that was fast.

Stupid vandals wrecking out nice Nova's also a load of felt pen on the seats and backs aswell on that unit

Today 8103 on the 33 and 8129 on the 34! nice to see them on a greater number of routes :lol:

Saw 3 Novas at the same time at Dalhousie station at around 3:15.

I also got to ride one of them, 8123. My personal thoughts:

- The waving hand door opening system is not the best. I saw people struggling with it and the driver had to tell each time that wave the hand facing down, not forward. Honestly, who came up with this system? Haven't seen a more idiotic way to open a door.

- I noticed the awfully slow closing doors. I also felt that the bus was a little cramped compared to NFs.

- I also noticed the slow acceleration, not upto D40LF standards still.

- The ride was pretty nice and smooth though.

Overall I'm not a fan of these. They look good from the outside, but that's about it. I'd much rather ride the New Flyers. Hope CT goes back to NF in the future.

Saw 3 Novas at the same time at Dalhousie station at around 3:15.

I also got to ride one of them, 8123. My personal thoughts:

- The waving hand door opening system is not the best. I saw people struggling with it and the driver had to tell each time that wave the hand facing down, not forward. Honestly, who came up with this system?

- I noticed the awfully slow closing doors. I also felt that the bus was a little cramped compared to NFs.

- I also noticed the slow acceleration, not upto D40LF standards still.

- The ride was pretty nice and smooth though.

Overall I'm not a fan of these. They look good from the outside, but that's about it. I'd much rather ride the New Flyers. Hope CT goes back to NF in the future.

All these problems can be solved if Calgary Transit could:

-Change the doors into push bar doors (rear).

-Increase the doors opening and closing speed (from what I've heard, it is possible).

-Change the transmission. :lol:

I have completed my asessment of NFI and Nova

NFI

Goods

Aesthetics are better both in and out

more power

better seating arrangement

better back doors

smoother acceleration

Bads

Ride quality(bounce on bumps)

turn radius

no back window

Nova

Goods

back window

Noise level

turn radius

Bads

poor seating arrangement

back door

low acceleration

rough take off

less aestheticly pleasing

Over all i think New Flyer get a 3.5 out of 5 in my books and Nova gets about a 2.5 with the unever terrian in calgary and ramps into loops the Nova's tend to scrape aswell

I keep wondering why they didnt get Xcelsiors instead. Are they more expensive?

Nova gave calgary a better deal and bus prices are somewhat similar it really depends on what the bids are like.

I believe xcelsior is more expensive beacuse its a bran new product, however the D40LFR is about the same price as an LFS i think...

Ive hear the Nova's wont last as long as the NFI because if you look at STM there 1997 Nova's are being retired off.

However these are just rumors

Ive hear the Nova's wont last as long as the NFI because if you look at STM there 1997 Nova's are being retired off.

However these are just rumors

And let that be just a rumor at best and honestly has no legitimate basis. Nova Bus has come a long way in building a bus that works and sells. The early Nova LFS which was sold to very few customers can't accurately reflect on what the quality of Nova LFS are now. Don't forget that West Vancouver has a 1998 Nova LFS that puts in daily service without major headaches.

Early D40LF's have not done any better than early Nova LFS. Calgary began rebuilding their 1993 D40LF's in 2002, buses that were just 9 years old. If those buses had never been rebuilt, they would have been retired already.

So I don't buy the Nova has poor quality load of crap. The more reasonable justification is that Canada is a harsh climate for any kind of vehicle and you can't expect vehicles that get run for 15-20 hours a day for years on end to last forever without some major work. And for a low floor, corrosive road debris becomes an even more concerning issue as everything sits lower to the ground than a standard high floor bus.

Early D40LF's have not done any better than early Nova LFS. Calgary began rebuilding their 1993 D40LF's in 2002, buses that were just 9 years old. If those buses had never been rebuilt, they would have been retired already.

Rebuilding modern buses after 9 years is normal if they're expected to only last 18-20 years.

Chris Cassidy

Saw 5 Novas at Dalhousie today, between 11 and 11:15 am.

Awesome sight. Operating various routes, 76, 77, 154, 137. The other route I forgot, but I'm guessing 37.