Ship models

Kashiwazaki

Ship model different sizes  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of ship model you like best to collect?

• Small, easy to build
    • Small, detailed
    • Medium, easy to build
    • Medium, detailed
    • Big, easy to build
    • Big, detailed
    • Completed ordered models
    • Completed, custom-built ordered models

This is another thread (as the Transit Discussion's "transit model thread"). Show the ships you built yoursel, or those you collected from cruises you've done so far, or even those you made from scratch. ;)

So far, I completed my Revell Miniship "Aida" cruiseship, scale is 1:1200. Finished model is 16.1 cm.

If you want to get started into Revell's world, start from these Miniships.

Photo007.jpgPhoto014.jpgPhoto015.jpg

This is another thread (as the Transit Discussion's "transit model thread"). Show the ships you built yoursel, or those you collected from cruises you've done so far, or even those you made from scratch. ;)

So far, I completed my Revell Miniship "Aida" cruiseship, scale is 1:1200. Finished model is 16.1 cm.

If you want to get started into Revell's world, start from these Miniships.

The hell with 1/1200!

I've gotten into 1/700. And warships too. Not some wimpy cruise ship. :)

The hell with 1/1200!

I've gotten into 1/700. And warships too. Not some wimpy cruise ship. :P

Well, I like them, too, especially the Revell's Queen Mary 2 1:400 scale: a HUGE KICKASS model!

The problem is that I haven't so much financial resources to buy those models... My next kit to assemble is the 1:1200 Queen Mary 2.

Well, I like them, too, especially the Revell's Queen Mary 2 1:400 scale: a HUGE KICKASS model!

The problem is that I haven't so much financial resources to buy those models... My next kit to assemble is the 1:1200 Queen Mary 2.

They're not badly priced at all I find. $20-25 for a HMS Nelson or HMS King George V from Tamiya in 1:700 and $25 or so each for my 2 aircraft carriers... USS Essex by Revell and USS Nimitiz by Italeria (sp?) both in 1:720.

Next one to purchase will be a USS Missouri in 1:700 form Tamiya at about $50 locally.

Problem is, me and another board member have cleared out most local hobby shops of the stuff we were kind of after.

They're not badly priced at all I find. $20-25 for a HMS Nelson or HMS King George V from Tamiya in 1:700 and $25 or so each for my 2 aircraft carriers... USS Essex by Revell and USS Nimitiz by Italeria (sp?) both in 1:720.

Next one to purchase will be a USS Missouri in 1:700 form Tamiya at about $50 locally.

Problem is, me and another board member have cleared out most local hobby shops of the stuff we were kind of after.

HA, HA, HA, you're nuts!! (kidding)

But, seriously, I haven't so much space in my room and not enough financial resources, and my parents aren't letting me to leave some outside of my room. Anyway, I think small scales to worth it, don't you?

Anyway, I'm willing to buy a KICKASS BIG model of the Queen Mary 2 in 1:400 from Revell (correct me if I'm wrong about the scale), besides a 1:1200 scale of another Revell Queen Mary 2 (the next model I'll buy, my first online buy! Or maybe if I find it in a common store, which is MUCH better...)

This is a swiss link for an online model store that has model kits of any scale and difficulty levels. It's not interesting you so much, 'cuz it's very far away from you, but then, it's easier to me 'cuz I REALLY live in Switzerland. Better you understand just a lil' bit of german to see the models. If not, use Google Translator.

Nimitz, dammit Martin, that's like modern eh?

What?! You're afraid your WWII aircraft can't survive in a dogfight with Super Hornets? :P

I wouldn't mind to get my hands on some of the updated versions of Iowa Class battleships. Ships I'm sort of interested in between WWII and the modern era... although, the more guns the better which typically means I'll mainly pick up WWII stuff.

Armour... I'm going to try to stick in 1:72.

Actually he is not kidding, we've pretty well cleared out most WWII ships in the 700 scale range (except for a whole lotta Japanese WWII light cruisers and destroyers)...

Still a lot of 350 and some 400, 525 and 600 scale around, but past 700, they tend to get too big, way too big!

Of course, there is 35 scale armour, I tend to go modern there

Nimitz, dammit Martin, that's like modern eh?

Someone may ask me (an american friend working here in Ovronnaz) to build him a Revell Miniships "USS Enterprise". He's COMPLETELY NUTS for this aircraft carrier, and I'm afraid he's doing so, 'cuz I offered myself to build it for him!

If I ever wanted a battleship model (and I would LOVE to have this one), it would be the IJN "Yamato". No offense, but I like more this battleship than any other, even today's battleships doesn't move me as the "Yamato" does!! :P

287219727_2b1630d5d1_o.jpg

• 9 months later...
Battleships aren't used these days. :P

...Seems like my wish will be done tomorrow:

DSC02838.JPG

I will start to buy Tamiya 1/700 waterline series japanese warships. It'll start with this gorgeous model. I already saw the product in my hands and it's ENTIRELY APPROVED, although I couldn't buy it in that same moment!

As I see, this won't be easy task... :P Let's just pray for everything to go okay..

These images come from the Web...

DSC7667-1024x676.jpg

DSC7664-1024x676.jpg

...But somehow, I'll show you the model I am about to do, when it's ready.

How you like this (almost finished) TAMIYA 1/700 Waterline Series IJN Yamato?

It'll be finished today; just adding the pieces of the bow and stern and the airplanes.

1_inside.jpg

2_outside.jpg

3_outside.jpg

Started yesterday from 4:00pm 'till 1:00am. Then I resumed work from 10:00am 'till 12:30pm. Now it shall receive the last pieces until (imperatively) this midnight, at least.

EDIT: For someone who has not so much patience, this model is NOT recommended. There are A LOT of incredibly small pieces that can only be glued with pincers.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am now building the Duke of York 1/1200th scale waterline model.

Not a great thing, but doing the "dazzled" hull is revealing very difficult to do that.

That happens, 'cause it's a 17,5 cm tiny model, full of minor details!

Somehow, it's going OK, I painted over the superstructure with a toothpick, as I had no proper brush for.

Take a look at it (sorry for the blurry photos, but that's all I have):

duke1.jpg duke2.jpg

Don't worry, the turrets (including AA guns!) are able to turn!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next two are the Tamiya 1/700th Waterline IJN Fubuki and Tamiya 1/350th IJN Yamato (this one is expected to receive an R/C control) (bothe these ships are expected to come until end of February, if things go OK).

TAMI31401.jpg

78002.jpg

• 1 month later...
The next two are the Tamiya 1/700th Waterline IJN Fubuki and Tamiya 1/350th IJN Yamato (this one is expected to receive an R/C control) (bothe these ships are expected to come until end of February, if things go OK).

TAMI31401.jpg

The Fubuki is now on my desk, awaiting to be assembled. It shall be a minimal (16,8 cm long), has not so many pieces as the 1/700 waterline IJN Yamato, and so it shall be assembled quickly.

I'll show you photos of it, finished, whenever I can

The 1/350 IJN Yamato shall be acquired on the end of February. :(

• 7 months later...

... Saigodesu!

The Tamiya 1/350th scale YAMATO is now on my hands!!

And was expensive as HELL ($112.50)!

Somehow, the building is looking slightly easier to build, as I didn't used the modelling pliers than twice!

Now, with a bit of luck, my stepfather won't see the model while under construction... <_<

Here is a photo of it, with the conning tower almost complete.

sam_0559.jpg

I will send more photos as soon as possible. <_<

...Well, seems like the building was pretty difficult!

Somehow, it is almost done (I removed the safety tape from the hull after these photos were taken), it only needs the propellers and their transmission trees, which are painted and (still) drying outside.

They will be assembled in the hull tomorrow morning.

Here are the shots:

SAM_0561.JPG

SAM_0560.JPG

SAM_0562.JPG

SAM_0563.JPG

SAM_0564.JPG

SAM_0565.JPG

SAM_0566.JPG

SAM_0567.JPG

SAM_0568.JPG

As you probably saw, I did customized a little bit; instead of the Japanese Imperial Navy's crest on the funnel, I added Sailor Moon's crest, and this crest is also on the flag above the Japanese Imperial flag.

Enjoy it!

• 1 month later...

The latest ship model from REVELL is the 1/1200 miniship YAMATO.

Photo_0406.jpg

(Images from another builder: http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/5-schi...ato-revell.html)

Perhaps this was not good idea for them to design this; the quality is not the best, the anti air guns at the broadsides are not those that were on the real ship and finally, the kit has come withOUT the mast at the rear.

Yoku, the model's quality is rated (from me) to 7.5/10, not getting even close to Tamiya 1/700 YAMATO's heels!

But, yoku, it's okay: I needed a 1/1200 YAMATO to get together with the other 1/1200 Miniships that I have (HMS DUKE OF YORK and USS ENTERPRISE).

The next two are the BISMARCK and TIRPITZ battleships, both at same scale.

bismarck-01.jpg

tirpitz-01.jpg

Hopefully, I can get more 1/1200 waterline war ships, and then create a large fleet, dignified of the great Mūn ōkoku rengō kantai (Moon Kingdom Combined Fleet)!! :

• 2 months later...

I haven't built a ship model since I was a kid, but would love to get into it again.

Want a great idea? :D

05200_SI_AIDAdiva_bella_luna.jpg

http://cruise-ship-m...o-aidaluna.html

I have it from SIKU, at 1/1400 scale; you can have it bigger, at 1/400 scale (65cm+)

Question about the turets though, are they easy to pre-paint to loose the "plasticy" look to them?

Remember that pieces cannot be detached from the grill before painted?

So yes, that is possible; you have to paint them while still attached to their grills.

Want a great idea? :D

05200_SI_AIDAdiva_bella_luna.jpg

http://cruise-ship-m...o-aidaluna.html

I have it from SIKU, at 1/1400 scale; you can have it bigger, at 1/400 scale (65cm+)

Oh Lord no, thats just hideous :lol:

Remember that pieces cannot be detached from the grill before painted?

So yes, that is possible; you have to paint them while still attached to their grills.

So they are like most kits, being able to paint while attached to the grid. OK, thanks :)

Oh Lord no, thats just hideous :lol:

What's the problem with it, it looks so cute, including her name!

b80352ad86.jpg

So they are like most kits, being able to paint while attached to the grid. OK, thanks :)

...Exactly!

Some times I paint some pieces already assembled on the model or module, but only when I see I can do it, but generally we must paint ALL the pieces still on the grid. :)

• 1 month later...

The last ship model I will ever buy, before I go for a money saving for my vacation in June, a Tamiya 1/350 YUKIKAZE (SNOWY WIND).

top700.jpg

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/78020yukikaze/

Effectively, this was one of the destroyers that took part on the ill-fated Kikusui Operation, and was the one who picked the survivors of the giant YAMATO, after her sinking.

The model - as you could see - can be made into either waterline or full hull display, and includes luxuri, brass photo-etched parts, which are excellent news!

I ordered this one last Tuesday, it's now there waiting for me, and I will get it in a couple hours.

Luck of mine, the dealer only hadt wo boxes; TWO BOXES for the whole Switzerland, before Tamiya ever sends another load!