TTC Subway Extensions

MT0603

OK, where do you think the the subway should be extended to?

I'm going to say screw the York University Extension, they're getting bus lanes as it is, and it's the TORONTO Transit Commission, not the York Region Transit Commission. ;) So instead of Extending the subway to York U I'm going to say they should extend the BD line to STC, where there are serious over crowding issues and is being served by a higher level of transit then where the York U extension is going to be built!

Now I know funding for the 2 Billion dollar extension to York U hasn't been secured yet, but I will be pissed if it does get built and ends up to be like the Sheppard subway, which can easily be handled by streetcars.

MY 2 CENTS!

Now I know funding for the 2 Billion dollar extension to York U hasn't been secured yet, but I will be pissed if it does get built and ends up to be like the Sheppard subway, which can easily be handled by streetcars.

MY 2 CENTS!

The current Sheppard Subway is just phase one, sometime in the future it will be extended to STC and get a bunch of new riders. Why would you build a streetcar line and then have to waste more money on converting it to a subway, why not just build a subway and then extend it and not have to spend the amount of money you would to covert a streetcar line to a subway line.

OK, where do you think the the subway should be extended to?

I'm going to say screw the York University Extension, they're getting bus lanes as it is, and it's the TORONTO Transit Commission, not the York Region Transit Commission. ;) So instead of Extending the subway to York U I'm going to say they should extend the BD line to STC, where there are serious over crowding issues and is being served by a higher level of transit then where the York U extension is going to be built!

MY 2 CENTS!

I say they build a Queen subway from Osgoode station running east along Queen Street to Coxwell, then north on Coxwell to Coxwell station. That would free up some streetcars and reduce traffic congestion along Queen.

Holy Hanna! Here's a map I made a long while ago, so I think I will share it now. Yeah, I know I'm dreaming, big time! But one needs to have dreams, right? :)

As part of the "bigger plan" (ala 'dreaming again') for the transit system in the Greater Goleden Horsehoe, I added several new GO Rail lines, etc. etc. (so in case you're wondering why they're there, but don't actually exist) but that's another story.

Listed in no preference I think the following should be built:

1.Finish the Sheppard line and extend to Scarborough Town Centre.

2.Scrap the RT and proceed with a subway to link the Sheppard line with terminations at either the Malvern Town Centre, Toronto Zoo, or Pickering Town Centre.

3.An Eglinton West line starting at the Eglinton-Yonge Centre to Pearson airport.

4.A Queen subway/LRT to relieve the pressure off the BD subway and east-west streetcar routes that are delayed in heavy traffic to give commuters a faster ride rather than King, Dundas or Carlton. The route should start from at least Roncesvalles and serve the Beach area. This does not have to be the current 6-car subway but four cars or two cars in off peak may suffice and stations can be modified as such for future expansions as growth capacity increases.

In my humble opinion, we should:

Extend the Bloor-Danforth line to Sherway Gardens and build a secong Mississauga Transit terminal there (to reduce pressure on Islington).

Finish the Sheppard subway to Scarborough Centre as planned.

Extend the Yonge subway to Steeles to reduce travel times on TTC and YRT routes which operate north of Finch.

Extend the Spadina subway to York University, then to Vaughan Centre, and eventually to Vaughan Mills to reduce traffic on highway 400.

Replace the Scarborough RT with a light rail line, and extend it north to Malvern and beyond. On the other end, extend it eastward along Eglinton Avenue towards the airport. This eliminates the transfer at Kennedy for those heading into the centre of the city, and eliminates the horrible bus overlap on many parts of Eglinton.

These are just a few of ideas, and more stuff can be found at Visions for the GTTA. Sorry to anyone offended by me shamelessly promoting my website. :)

The current Sheppard Subway is just phase one, sometime in the future it will be extended to STC and get a bunch of new riders. Why would you build a streetcar line and then have to waste more money on converting it to a subway, why not just build a subway and then extend it and not have to spend the amount of money you would to covert a streetcar line to a subway line.

The extenstion to York U should be a subway.

Sheppard should have been an LRT/Streetcar (same thing) in a ROW to Scarborough Town, this would be complemented by replacing the SRT with a network of LRT lines throughout the east end.

Why convert a streetcar line to a subway line, when with the same amount of money you can expand and add new streetcar lines to serve a larger area allowing more riders access to higher order transit, reduce the demand on a particular corridor, thus reducing the need to convert it to a subway line.

The extenstion to York U should be a subway.

Sheppard should have been an LRT/Streetcar (same thing) in a ROW to Scarborough Town, this would be complemented by replacing the SRT with a network of LRT lines throughout the east end.

Why convert a streetcar line to a subway line, when with the same amount of money you can expand and add new streetcar lines to serve a larger area allowing more riders access to higher order transit, reduce the demand on a particular corridor, thus reducing the need to convert it to a subway line.

The Vaughan (pit of horrible urban sprawl, worst in York Region) line is going to be a waste of money...they should just expand it to York U and cut it off there (where service is actually needed).

The rest of the money that would otherwise have gone to Vaughan should be used for VARIOUS Scarborough LRT projects.

Wilson Wu

Markham, ON

In my humble opinion, we should:

Extend the Bloor-Danforth line to Sherway Gardens and build a secong Mississauga Transit terminal there (to reduce pressure on Islington).

These are just a few of ideas, and more stuff can be found at Visions for the GTTA. Sorry to anyone offended by me shamelessly promoting my website. :)

The only thing is, that the Sherway terminal is too far for Bloor, Burnhamthorpe and Rathburn, unless they were to take the 427 down south to Sherway!

The only thing is, that the Sherway terminal is too far for Bloor, Burnhamthorpe and Rathburn, unless they were to take the 427 down south to Sherway!

What I am suggesting is that Sherway become a second Mississauga Transit terminal. Northern routes like Bloor, Burnhamthorpe and Rathburn would still use Islington, but routes such as 4 Queensway, 5 Dixie or even 23 Lakeshore could now go to the subway at Sherway.

so what? Highest streetcar ridership doesn't mean there is enough ridership to substain a subway route. If there is a need, the TTC transit Planner would have proposed this subway route already.

Well I guess Highest bus ridership doesn't even come close to needing a subway either I guess!

COUGH COUGH YORK U EXTENSION COUGH COUGH

so what? Highest streetcar ridership doesn't mean there is enough ridership to substain a subway route. If there is a need, the TTC transit Planner would have proposed this subway route already.

Keep in mind the TTC has already built a Lower Queen station underneath the existing one, in hopes to build a Queen subway one day.

here is some more information on the Queen Subway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Street_subway

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5006.shtml

first off, what are the chances that the TTC will ever build these lines?, majority of them probably will never happen in our lifetime with the TTC having so much finacial problems. in my opinion (this is my own opinion) i think the only way the TTC would be able to build all these extentions is if the system went into the private sector . this is my own opinion.

Ultimately the City will have to decide: Does it want to continue to have a transit system that primarily services downtown, or does it want to give all commuters a real option.

As it sits right now, ridership on the TTC is likely to plateau in our lifetimes, likely when or just before the City hits its goal of an additional million people housed in 2025. The problem is that the TTC is already at the straining point, with overcrowded subways and overcrowded buses and streetcars on overcrowded roads. Adding another 100 buses (even if it's every couple of years) is not going to help matters...it's just going to be another vehicle on the already overcrowded roads.

Frankly, what this City needs if it's going to make any sort of headway on the real traffic issue is to have a grid of subway lines that give people alternate choices to get from Point A to Point B. LRT's, grade separated or not, will be useless in a lot of cases because they will be at capacity in 20 years, plus will force people to make more transfers than otherwise necessary.

The only problem with this is cost. It's obvious that the City doesn't have the means to pay for it, and the Provincial Governments seem largely oblivious (moreso for the Feds than the Provincial Parliament, but they're paying just as much lip service) to the needs of this City. It seems that it's going to require a major meltdown in the infrastructure before anyone pays heed, and even then I can't help but wonder.

Dan

Ultimately the City will have to decide: Does it want to continue to have a transit system that primarily services downtown, or does it want to give all commuters a real option.

As it sits right now, ridership on the TTC is likely to plateau in our lifetimes, likely when or just before the City hits its goal of an additional million people housed in 2025. The problem is that the TTC is already at the straining point, with overcrowded subways and overcrowded buses and streetcars on overcrowded roads. Adding another 100 buses (even if it's every couple of years) is not going to help matters...it's just going to be another vehicle on the already overcrowded roads.

Frankly, what this City needs if it's going to make any sort of headway on the real traffic issue is to have a grid of subway lines that give people alternate choices to get from Point A to Point B. LRT's, grade separated or not, will be useless in a lot of cases because they will be at capacity in 20 years, plus will force people to make more transfers than otherwise necessary.

The only problem with this is cost. It's obvious that the City doesn't have the means to pay for it, and the Provincial Governments seem largely oblivious (moreso for the Feds than the Provincial Parliament, but they're paying just as much lip service) to the needs of this City. It seems that it's going to require a major meltdown in the infrastructure before anyone pays heed, and even then I can't help but wonder.

Dan

i ahve to agree with you on how adding a 100 buses every year will never be able to fix the overcrowded problem. as for the money part, i guess if the city was smart they put tolls on the highways to pay off some of the fincial problems

i ahve to agree with you on how adding a 100 buses every year will never be able to fix the overcrowded problem. as for the money part, i guess if the city was smart they put tolls on the highways to pay off some of the fincial problems

The city can't make Highways in Toronto toll routes since the province runs them.

The city can't make Highways in Toronto toll routes since the province runs them.

That may change when the City of Toronto Act is finally passed by the province. Right now, the city can only do things the law specifically says it CAN do. If the law is unclear about a particular activity, then the city cannot do it. The City of Toronto Act will give Toronto "sweeping new powers", which will probably end up being used to come up with creative ways to generate revenue.

Putting a toll on city roads has been used in London for a few years now, but I don't think it will be very popular here because everyone knows how much of a fiasco the 407 was. No politician looking for re-election would risk it.

We need politicians who are not afraid to make unpopular decisions in the name of the greater good.

All that will do is make every other road that isn't a highway clogged to death ruining surface transit along with it. I've seen 407 for its entire length and the only time it is clogged is during heavy snow storm. Its the only highway that sees low usage because using the 401 is free and the tolls on 407 are expensive.

Do you have any clue what you are talking about? the sheppard line was built to replace parts of route 85 and that at last check was a bus route, so how can streetcars not hold more people then buses?

its been needed for quite some time. they proposed it a while back but desided to build the BD line.

From what I heard, the reason TTC decided to build the Shephard line because of political reason. There are tons of PC constitutents live along the Shephard Line.

You know there is, 501 has the highest streetcar ridership =/

501 doesn't have highest ridership among the streetcar routes.

504-508 has 48400 riders on a typical weekday.

509-510 has 43400 riders

501 and 506 each have 41200 riders.

Wrong. The province maintains the 400-series highways as well as the QEW. The City takes care of the Allen Expressway, Gardiner Expressway, Black Creek Drive south of Maple Leaf and the Don Valley Parkway.

Dan

Keep in mind the TTC has already built a Lower Queen station underneath the existing one, in hopes to build a Queen subway one day.

here is some more information on the Queen Subway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Street_subway

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5006.shtml

Lower Queen is also falling apart from structural decay, needs a crapload of pipework redone, and is also half-built into due to the equipment and passages for the elevators at the south end of Queen. If there ever was to be a subway (including streetcar ROW) down there, they would honestly be better off just building a new area for any platforms and bypassing the existing Lower Queen completely.