General Railway Questions

TDE

Excellent.

OK, next question, somewhat railroad related.

I came across a wiki for a former airline company, Canadian Pacific Airlines. It had a similiar logo to CP Rail back in the day with the semi-circle and triangle. It doesn't list in wikipedia of any relation to CP Rail, but was there any affiliation at all? Or under some higher consortium umbrella for the two?

I came across a wiki for a former airline company, Canadian Pacific Airlines. It had a similiar logo to CP Rail back in the day with the semi-circle and triangle. It doesn't list in wikipedia of any relation to CP Rail, but was there any affiliation at all? Or under some higher consortium umbrella for the two?

Canadian Pacific was once known as the "Worlds Most Complete Transportation System".....Trains, Planes, Ships, Hotels, Transport, Express, and Telecommunications. You could cross Canada or reach five Continents on a Canadian Pacific Ticket.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=30169

Canadian Pacific Airlines was bought by Pacific Western to form Canadian Airlines which was then taken over by Air Canada.

http://cpair.blogspot.com/2007/03/airline_8573.html

CP also operated Trans-Pacific and Trans-Atlantic Ocean Liners……The famous White Empresses were in service until around 1970.

http://iancoombe.tripod.com/id6.html

And Canadian Pacific Hotels became Fairmont. A couple of the famous hotels included the Royal York in Toronto and the castle like Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City and Banff Springs in Alberta.

And Canadian Pacific Hotels became Fairmont. A couple of the famous hotels included the Royal York in Toronto and the castle like Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City and Banff Springs in Alberta.

CP still owns Fairmont, although it is kept at arms-length from the parent company.

As well, CP also owned a coal company, which it spun off into Fording Coal. They were later bought out by Teck Resources.

Dan

CP still owns Fairmont, although it is kept at arms-length from the parent company.

Fairmont Hotels is now owned by Kingdom. A holding company controlled by a Saudi Prince.........and another piece of Canadian history has passed to a foreign company.

When CP originally bought the Fairmont chain, they rebranded all their Hotels to the Fairmont name for better world-wide recognition.

CP Limited spun off all the subsidiaries (Fording Coal, Pan Canadian Petroleum/EnCana, Fairmont, CP Ships and CP Rail) about 5 years ago. Prior to spinning them off, CP Limited owned about 90% of Pan Canadian which merged with Alberta Energy Company Ltd. to become EnCana). CP Limited owned the other subsidiaries in their entirety. Shareholders of CP Limited were given shares in each of the new companies and CP Limited ceased to exist. The rationale for the split was that the market value of the whole conglomerate grossly undervalued the parts which pretty much held true, the value of all the x-subsidiaries increased quickly after the spin off. Most doubled in value in a short time with no fundamental changes in their business operations.

Because of it's diversity, the performance of CP Limited was a considered good indicator for the performance of the Canadian economy.

What are those bars for on the front windows? I'm assuming to protect against branches?

Colloquially known as "ghetto grills".

At one point in the early 1970s, some neanderthal strung a cinderblock on a rope from an underpass in the Boston area. It struck the trailing dome of one of their TurboTrains, and killed someone inside.

Soon after, virtually all Amtrak units operating in the North East Corridor, and especially units based out of Boston, and all MBTA units had them outfitted. Their use directly resulted in the FRA's 49 CFR (Part 223) that mandated the particular "bullet-proof" safety glass now used in all mainline units in the U.S.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Canadian Pacific was once known as the "Worlds Most Complete Transportation System".....Trains, Planes, Ships, Hotels, Transport, Express, and Telecommunications. You could cross Canada or reach five Continents on a Canadian Pacific Ticket.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=30169

Canadian Pacific Airlines was bought by Pacific Western to form Canadian Airlines which was then taken over by Air Canada.

http://cpair.blogspot.com/2007/03/airline_8573.html

CP also operated Trans-Pacific and Trans-Atlantic Ocean Liners……The famous White Empresses were in service until around 1970.

http://iancoombe.tripod.com/id6.html

Holy crap! I didn't know that! That's pretty neat. :P

In terms and comparisons of cost, reliability, ease of use etc... how does the EMD SD50F and the GE C44-9W, Dash 9-44CW measure up? And to each other?

I saw one photo of a CN EMD, and apparently he told the photographer as he banged on the side that it was a "shitbox"

Here's that photo. ---> http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?...0663&nseq=1

Interesting photo. Looks like there was nothing to stop a car from driving onto the tracks there back then. Notice the one overhanging onto the platform?

Saw an interesting train going east from Calgary this afternoon. CP train, 2 locomotives at the start, 1 about a third back, 1 two thirds back and another at the end. All sounded like they were running, and it was quite a bit longer than most trains.

Saw an interesting train going east from Calgary this afternoon. CP train, 2 locomotives at the start, 1 about a third back, 1 two thirds back and another at the end. All sounded like they were running, and it was quite a bit longer than most trains.

Yep thats DPU. Finally got to see a CN one passing through Kingston, ON a week ago, although in this case a single Dash9 upfront and SD70M-2 8905 was in the middle.

We get trains with locomotives in the middle or end all the time, just never this many. Rough estimate from my girlfriends dad who lives right near where we saw this particular train was 150+ cars, as it seemed to be going normal speed for a train through that area (just a couple miles east of the CP intermodal yard)

We get trains with locomotives in the middle or end all the time, just never this many. Rough estimate from my girlfriends dad who lives right near where we saw this particular train was 150+ cars, as it seemed to be going normal speed for a train through that area (just a couple miles east of the CP intermodal yard)

Back in the 80s was on Amtrak heading west from Denver, some of the D&RGW consists were spectacular, with 3-4 engines upfront, 2-3 in the middle, and 3-4 on the rear. Of course they were running through the Rockies so needed the extra power.

The other day, while I took the GO train to Toronto, I saw one CN management RDC (or something like that). I have no idea what make and model of that RDC car is. Could it be a former RDC from another operator, re-purposed for rail maintenance?

that would be the

car that was seen in Hamilton a few days ago

• 1 month later...

When I was at Exhibition GO station - just west of the station platforms, I heard that there are installing some new LED signals (well European-style signals or something like that) to replace the incandescent signals. Any idea on what I'm talking about?

Would it be feasible to have in-cab signaling on the GO trains - like the ones used in Europe (i.e. France)?