General Railway Questions

TDE

OK so I give up... this was going to happen.

OK so question 1:

What's the difference between having two and three searchlight signal heads? I know there's a passive and absolute situation about the placement of the two heads.

Question 2:

Is there a difference between a

(green)

(red)

(red) signal

versus... a

(red)

(green)

(red)

or even a

(red)

(green)

(green)

Question 3...

is there a difference between a slid green signal versus a flashing green signal?

OK so question 1:

What's the difference between having two and three searchlight signal heads? I know there's a passive and absolute situation about the placement of the two heads.........

Follow this link to signals in the Canadian Railway Operating Rules.....starts around page 70.

http://www.railcan.ca/documents/rules/1684..._TCO_093_en.pdf

OK so question 1:

What's the difference between having two and three searchlight signal heads? I know there's a passive and absolute situation about the placement of the two heads.

It's all about the placement of the heads. If they are in line, than they are guarding an interlocking or controlled location, and so the signals are absolute. If they are staggered, then they are generally automatics and considered restrictings.

As for 2 vs. 3 - that has to do with line/track speed. 3 signal heads are used where the signals are also used to control train speed, mainly in locations with passenger trains.

You can find out more about them, and signal indications, in the CROR.

Question 3...

is there a difference between a slid green signal versus a flashing green signal?

Yup - solid green indicates a "proceed" signal, whereas flashing green is a "limited" signal.

Dan

If they're heading through Toronto to say, Oshawa?

Or, if they're only going to as far as Port Credit/Mississauga area, or north of Toronto, along the Oakville Sub?

There's CN435 which you can catch usually anytime from 12:00 to 14:00. Comes down the Bala, through the USRC, along the Oakville Sub, making stops at Oakville Yard and Aldershot Yard, I believe it heads out towards Brantford and London afterwards. Anything else along the Oakville from Burlington to Toronto during the day would be a road switcher working out of Oakville Yard or Mimico, making set offs at various industries, such as Petro Canada. Most frieghts bypass the Oakville and Kingston subs using the Halton and York subs.

There's CN435 which you can catch usually anytime from 12:00 to 14:00. Comes down the Bala, through the USRC, along the Oakville Sub, making stops at Oakville Yard and Aldershot Yard, I believe it heads out towards Brantford and London afterwards. Anything else along the Oakville from Burlington to Toronto during the day would be a road switcher working out of Oakville Yard or Mimico, making set offs at various industries, such as Petro Canada. Most frieghts bypass the Oakville and Kingston subs using the Halton and York subs.

The roadswitchers that work the Oakville Sub in daylight hours between Toronto and Burlington West are 543 out of Mimico, 553 & 556 out of Oakville Yard, and the night roadswitchers 557 & 552, 552 essentially being a transfer job that takes loaded multi's to Aldershot along with other traffic and build freight blocks for morning trains to lift. Along with 435 (used to be 333 job before cancellation to haul Oakville traffic via downtown) the occasional 332 will run to Oakville Yard to set off Ford multi's before heading downtown and up the Bala to Mac Yard.

I got a question, though I'll probably find out what the answer is as soon as I post this, but just in case I don't. What is the name of the Railway Sub that operates through Winchester, Ontario? It appears to be a mainline.

Also why does it have only one signal facing one direction per track, which results in trains only being allowed to go one direction?

I got a question, though I'll probably find out what the answer is as soon as I post this, but just in case I don't. What is the name of the Railway Sub that operates through Winchester, Ontario? It appears to be a mainline.

Also why does it have only one signal facing one direction per track, which results in trains only being allowed to go one direction?

That's Canadian Pacific's Winchester Subdivision, method of control is ABS/OCS (Automatic Block Signaling/Occupancy Control System). West bounds on the north track, East bounds on the south track as per given OCS clearance.

• 2 weeks later...

Pertaining to the metrolinx proposal to allow Tier 4 compliant locomotives to run on the Georgetown Corridor...how do they plan to do that when it currently doesn't exist? And since the MP40's the GO purchased are not compliant they wont be able to run in that corridor?

Pertaining to the metrolinx proposal to allow Tier 4 compliant locomotives to run on the Georgetown Corridor...how do they plan to do that when it currently doesn't exist? And since the MP40's the GO purchased are not compliant they wont be able to run in that corridor?

Tier IV comes into effect January 1, 2015 if my memory serves.

But as the MP40's are only Tier II compliant (although rumour goes that EMD has made the 710 Tier III compliant), in theory you are correct - they would not be able to run on the upgraded Georgetown corridor.

Dan

Tier IV comes into effect January 1, 2015 if my memory serves.

But as the MP40's are only Tier II compliant (although rumour goes that EMD has made the 710 Tier III compliant), in theory you are correct - they would not be able to run on the upgraded Georgetown corridor.

Dan

isnt that the time frame anyways when the line should be fully up and running?

isnt that the time frame anyways when the line should be fully up and running?

According to Metrolinx, yes.

Although I haven't seen any plans for GO to purchasing any more diesel locos after an order to be placed around 2011 - which would be for Tier III units.

Dan

According to Metrolinx, yes.

Although I haven't seen any plans for GO to purchasing any more diesel locos after an order to be placed around 2011 - which would be for Tier III units.

Dan

The could always send about 10 of the MP40's back to MPI to see about making them Tier IV units

The could always send about 10 of the MP40's back to MPI to see about making them Tier IV units

They wouldn't send them back to MPI - they would either send them to EMD in London, or one of the contract warranty shops.

And of course, that is assuming that EMD can make the 710 Tier IV compliant.

Dan

Quick Question -- I should really know this :P

Why is it that sometimes a non-stop signal is displayed on the same track but opposing direction of the train?

For example, an easbound train just past a signal and it's equivalent westbound signal (on the same track) displays something like clear-to-stop. It only changes from stop to clear-to-stop after the last car of the train passes that signal. The engineer obviously doesn't see this signal. What's it for?

Alex

Quick Question -- I should really know this :P

Why is it that sometimes a non-stop signal is displayed on the same track but opposing direction of the train?

For example, an easbound train just past a signal and it's equivalent westbound signal (on the same track) displays something like clear-to-stop. It only changes from stop to clear-to-stop after the last car of the train passes that signal. The engineer obviously doesn't see this signal. What's it for?

Alex

Is this on CN?

They upgraded their signal system about a year ago, which allows them to fleet the signals between interlockings in both directions at the same time - the signals will only display green (and red) when the interlockings are cleared through. It will also clear the blocks behind in the other direction immediately after the train has passed.

Dan

Is this on CN?

They upgraded their signal system about a year ago, which allows them to fleet the signals between interlockings in both directions at the same time - the signals will only display green (and red) when the interlockings are cleared through. It will also clear the blocks behind in the other direction immediately after the train has passed.

Dan

This was on CP. Westmount sub in Montreal to be exact. When an eastbound commuter train arrives at Vendome, the signal just west of the station is clear to stop, but the train is heading east.

Alex

This was on CP. Westmount sub in Montreal to be exact. When an eastbound commuter train arrives at Vendome, the signal just west of the station is clear to stop, but the train is heading east.

Alex

Clear to stop or restricting? The signals are similar. What kind of signal is it, tall mast or dwarf? On CP, once the train is past the signal it changes to restricting so that the following train can enter the block and close up to the train ahead at restricted speed. All done to keep traffic moving.

Question about Train Crews with CN

How offen are they away from home for 6 days stright, how Does that work out?

Only on work trains, not often. In train service it's normally a 24-48 hr round trip. Double Sub trains are about 2-3 days round trip.

Only on work trains, not often. In train service it's normally a 24-48 hr round trip. Double Sub trains are about 2-3 days round trip.

interesting

How many days off do you get

I appiled for a job at CN in Toronto and wondering what a work week and hours would be like. It said away upto 6 days.