Nova Bus LFS (all models)

dj.surf.lfs

26 minutes ago, XN40 said:

Is Nova Bus developing a CNG LFS artic? San Diego MTS has a RFP for 60' CNG artics and Nova bus is a bidder for this project. 

Nova has simply obtained the RFP documents, it does not necessarily mean they will submit a bid. The RFP you reference does not close for another month.

They did bid on the 40' contract but I don't think they will win as MTS needs a lot of CNG capacity on their routes. Some of their routes are fairly long and they run their buses around 8 maybe 12 hours/day. Not sure if 19,000 SCF is enough for their needs. 

I wonder if Nova has a LFS with more tank capacity for the longer routes which can take over an hour, sometimes close to two hours per run. 

1 minute ago, XN40 said:

They did bid on the 40' contract but I don't think they will win as MTS needs a lot of CNG capacity on their routes. Some of their routes are fairly long and they run their buses around 8 maybe 12 hours/day. Not sure if 19,000 SCF is enough for their needs. 

8-12 hours per day is not considered a large amount of usage for a bus and the LFS CNG should have no issue with fuel capacity. in many cities a bus can be on the road anywhere from 16-20 hours approximately. Hamilton, Ontario has a fleet of Nova LFS CNG and they are in service up to 20 hours per day, even on stop and go routes where there would be more fuel consumption.

• Like 1

San Diego is an exception due to some of their routes being really long, but some use the freeway. 

Last contract for artics was a sole source, so it could end up going to New Flyer by default, but was thinking if Nova is being serious this time around and they are bidding on a 40' contract. MTS can and will filter out the competitors but no rush to complete this contract as it will likely start in FY2019 at the earliest or even FY2020. I do think that they might be using this for expansion as there is no way you would want a 5 year deal for just 26 artics. Might even replace the Blue Birds with XN60 but I think passengers like the idea of a commuter coach than a 60' artic on a commuter express route. 

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

Small question. As it seems the ISL9 is being fased out, does that mean that the Cummins L9 will affect the outside look of the bus? Or am I dreaming about the 5th Gen. 

I don't think will be a lot change for a bus out side looking, because new Cummins L9 is using new Single Module™ aftertreatment system, compare ISL9 EPA2010/2013,the new cummins L9 engine + aftertreatment will be  be up to 60 percent smaller and 40 percent lighter ,that is a good news for bus Designer, because they don't need worry the space in Engine compartment and rear.

But i like to see The 5th GEN NOVABUS in future.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Small question. As it seems the ISL9 is being fased out, does that mean that the Cummins L9 will affect the outside look of the bus? Or am I dreaming about the 5th Gen. 

Long AND short answer is NO.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
13 hours ago, ONQCBusFan said:

I know the Province of Quebec only buys NovaBus because it's made local.

But why do they all look the same?

8 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

There are New Flyer XD40's running there along with Eldorado EZ Rider's.

To the best of my knowledge, the nine largest transit agencies in Quebec (Montreal, Quebec City, Laval, Longueuil, Gatineau, Sherbrooke, Saguenay, Lévis, and Trois-Rivières) are part of an organisation called the Association du transport urbain du Québec, or ATUQ.  The ATUQ also acts as a consortium for bus purchases, and the Quebec government heavily subsidises purchases from companies who build their buses in the province (e.g. NovaBus and Prevost).  The CITs and smaller cities tend to contract their bus operations to private companies, which do not receive the same government subsidies and thus tend to buy buses from the lowest bidder.  That is why you will see CIT Orions and New Flyers at Terminus Longueuil, but your chances of seeing an Xcelsior running for the STM are almost zero.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ADB said:

visibilite_chauffeur_fr_1500x100-1431x95

Of note: an updated door design and removal of pillar before the driver's window.

Not a surprising move. I believe by removing the pillars for better visibility, Nova is following a similar approach to Melbourne's E2-class trams.

6-5-1200x459.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed that most of the Nova LFS orders for this year have the new doors and Brampton Transit and some Quebec transit agencies still have the old doors. Are the old doors being discontinued?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/11/2017 at 1:19 PM, ADB said:

visibilite_chauffeur_fr_1500x100-1431x95

Of note: an updated door design and removal of pillar before the driver's window.

Of the newest LFS I've seen so far (i.e. RTL's 2018 hybrids) I still haven't noticed this new feature. When will it roll out?

45 minutes ago, anyfong said:

Of the newest LFS I've seen so far (i.e. RTL's 2018 hybrids) I still haven't noticed this new feature. When will it roll out?

Likely because it was introduced only a few months ago, and because RTLs Novas were already ordered and in the process of manufacture. It was just rolled out in October. 

• Like 1

• Root Admin
10 hours ago, anyfong said:

Apparently MTA (New York) will be the first system with the new driver window this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2018 at 11:25 PM, 7520 said:

Apparently MTA (New York) will be the first system with the new driver window this year.

I wonder if they Nova will have a demo with this feature at OTE this year. I wouldnt mind taking a good look.

• Like 1