Nova Bus LFS (all models)

dj.surf.lfs

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick question have Nova ever made a bus with a Volvo engine, just wondering because i am aware that Nova bus is owned by Volvo but yet Nova bus do not appear to offer their products with Volvo engines or there Volvo hybrid systems.

You are right. Its a curious thing but I guess a nod to the desire of Transit Agencies to have the same engines they already know and appreciate.

And perhaps its not worth the trouble to get the Volvo engines certified for city bus, etc.

Appreciate cummins' kwality? Their squid like ability to shirk warranty obligations? BAH!!

Give it time, you may see Volvo power trains in nova buses yet.

The time is ripe for an end to the cummins monopoly. They've cornered the market and have rested on their laurels too long because of it.

Isn't Prevost already doing exactly that (and AFAIK with their ishift transmissions as well as engines) with coaches?

Nice contribution! I did not know Prevost was using Volvo engines.

https://www.prevostcar.com/content/powertrain-0

So why not Nova bus doing the same? Wonder if Volvo has a suitable competitor to the Cummins ISL. Would need to be about a 9 liter I assume. And to really get serious they'd need to have a CNG version.

Nice contribution! I did not know Prevost was using Volvo engines.

https://www.prevostcar.com/content/powertrain-0

So why not Nova bus doing the same? Wonder if Volvo has a suitable competitor to the Cummins ISL. Would need to be about a 9 liter I assume. And to really get serious they'd need to have a CNG version.

Volvo has a 9.4L engine, but it would not be cheap to federalize it, and they would probably need to sell trucks that utilize this engine for a good ROI.

Volvo has a 9.4L engine, but it would not be cheap to federalize it, and they would probably need to sell trucks that utilize this engine for a good ROI.

Thanks, good point.

It appears from their web page that the smallest engine Volvo sells here in North America is the 11 Liter (D11). Maybe the best hope for getting this competitor to Cummins into a transit bus would be a Nova artic.

http://www.volvotrucks.com/TRUCKS/NA/EN-US/PRODUCTS/POWERTRAIN/D11/PAGES/OVERVIEW.ASPX

Talking about engines, what's going on with the D11 from Detroit. That just fell off the radar? NYC was suppose to get D11 I think a few years back. Unless it didn't pass the EPA regulations or something. Personally I'm getting tired of hearing these Cummins engine, its not like its a L10 or M11 with the loud rough noise.

Personally I'm getting tired of hearing these Cummins engine, its not like its a L10 or M11 with the loud rough noise.

So, of all of the other things that are wrong with Cummins and their engines nowadays....the biggest reason why you want a change is that you're sick of the sound of them?

Wow.

Ever consider therapy?

Dan

You need therapy if you're offended by my post. Go take your medications. I never said that there was anything wrong with Cummins engine. I do however like the sounds of other engines. Just cause I don't like the sound doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them. But if you want to twist my words, go for it.

But I would strongly recommend therapy for you, based on previous responses you've made on this site, and easily getting worked up for no reason.

So, of all of the other things that are wrong with Cummins and their engines nowadays....the biggest reason why you want a change is that you're sick of the sound of them?

Wow.

Ever consider therapy?

I'd prefer we keep the board free of putdowns like this.

FlyerD901, I have no problem with your comment.

A Volvo engine for transit would be an improvment from having Cummins. I got Prevost trained on the D13 and some of the capabilities that this engine can handle, if you are on the verge of a break down is awesome. This is why Greyhound is buying so many Prevost X3s with Volvo engines. if you experience a coolant leak for an example, you can drive to your intended destination without being on the side of the road. The worst case senario is the Low Coolant audible alarm will just sound none stop. If it was a Setra with DDS60 engine, you would be on the side of the road waiting for a tow. Of course, Transit agencies such as TTC, NYC Transit and other big customers have to demand such engine, otherwise they are stuck with Cummins.

A Volvo engine for transit would be an improvment from having Cummins. I got Prevost trained on the D13 and some of the capabilities that this engine can handle, if you are on the verge of a break down is awesome. This is why Greyhound is buying so many Prevost X3s with Volvo engines. if you experience a coolant leak for an example, you can drive to your intended destination without being on the side of the road. The worst case senario is the Low Coolant audible alarm will just sound none stop. If it was a Setra with DDS60 engine, you would be on the side of the road waiting for a tow. Of course, Transit agencies such as TTC, NYC Transit and other big customers have to demand such engine, otherwise they are stuck with Cummins.

Thanks for chiming in, I have no knowledge of Volvo engines and like learning.

if you experience a coolant leak for an example, you can drive to your intended destination without being on the side of the road. The worst case senario is the Low Coolant audible alarm will just sound none stop. If it was a Setra with DDS60 engine, you would be on the side of the road waiting for a tow.

Uh, I'm no mechanic, but based on what I know about coolant getting low in a car engine, (overheated engines at work) I think the worst case scenario might look a bit more like this if you were to continue on your merry way as though everything was hunky-dorry.

---

Anyways, I wonder what it would take for Nova to offer a Volvo engine/powertrain. I assume the biggest things for TAs are cost and maintenance. If Nova could offer the Volvo engine for about the same as an ISL and also tout lower maintenance requirements then they would probably have a winner.

Uh, I'm no mechanic, but based on what I know about coolant getting low in a car engine, (overheated engines at work) I think the worst case scenario might look a bit more like this if you were to continue on your merry way as though everything was hunky-dorry.

With modern vehicles, a fire is almost never caused by a loss of coolant. There are sensors that would shut down the vehicle before any damage was done, nevermind anything as catastrophic as a fire.

Dan