VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

17 hours ago, D40LF said:

While they were second hand the majority of the cars had been stored out in the open since being built and had never even been tested. But I think in this context I think new refers to the cars being new to VIA.

Actually the Colorado Railcar domes were the newest passenger cars before the venture cars.

5 hours ago, Trimetwes Fan1003 said:

Actually the Colorado Railcar domes were the newest passenger cars before the venture cars.

But they were not new in any sense, as they been through two previous owners and several years of service prior to getting to VIA.

The argument can be made that the Renaissance/Nightstock was new because it had never been used in service, and in fact most were completed for VIA. You can't make that same case for the Colorado Railcar domes.

Dan

8 hours ago, smallspy said:

But they were not new in any sense, as they been through two previous owners and several years of service prior to getting to VIA.

The argument can be made that the /Nightstock was new because it had never been used in service, and in fact most were completed for VIA. You can't make that same case for the Colorado Railcar domes.

Dan

But timeline wise the Colorado domes are newer, being built in 2000 while the Renaissance cars were built in 1995.

8 minutes ago, Trimetwes Fan1003 said:

But timeline wise the Colorado domes are newer, being built in 2000 while the Renaissance cars were built in 1995.

The Colorado Dome cars are three specialty cars used either on the Canadian or the Skeena (currently stored), it is not a fleet of cars such as the Renaissance cars of which 106 entered service.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:46 PM, Trimetwes Fan1003 said:

And not for VIA Rail, they were built for BC Rail's rail cruise service through the Cariboo before [insert generic BC Rail rant]. 

On 11/19/2022 at 2:17 PM, InfiNorth said:

And not for VIA Rail, they were built for BC Rail's rail cruise service through the Cariboo before [insert generic BC Rail rant]. 

The building was completed for BC Rail. They were actually initially purchased by Florida Fun Train, and not completed. I just bring this up because an interesting side story of the Whistler Northwind was how in insanely cheaply BC Rail got the equipment put together. A series of very good deals bolstered by some good luck. Worked half a season on the train, was a pretty good time!

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2022 at 7:21 PM, Dane said:

The building was completed for BC Rail. They were actually initially purchased by Florida Fun Train, and not completed. I just bring this up because an interesting side story of the Whistler Northwind was how in insanely cheaply BC Rail got the equipment put together. A series of very good deals bolstered by some good luck. Worked half a season on the train, was a pretty good time!

Do you have some good resources for reading on the Northwind? I know relatively little about it.

53 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

Do you have some good resources for reading on the Northwind? I know relatively little about it.

This site has got a little bit of info and some nice photos; I found it earlier this year while researching Colorado Railcar car histories (including VIA's three Panorama Domes):

http://www.trainweb.org/ultradomes/bcr/northwind.html

The service only ran for 2 seasons (and mostly in the pre-digital era), so any information out there is rather limited as a result.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Articulated said:

This site has got a little bit of info and some nice photos; I found it earlier this year while researching Colorado Railcar car histories (including VIA's three Panorama Domes):

http://www.trainweb.org/ultradomes/bcr/northwind.html

The service only ran for 2 seasons (and mostly in the pre-digital era), so any information out there is rather limited as a result.

If I recall correctly, the photos on that page are all part of the same collection put together for the marketing CD-ROM (man, what a time to be alive). If I'm not mistaken, VIA still has ownership of the old non-dome observation car employed on the service. 

http://www.okthepk.ca/publicArchive/201204whistlerNorthwind/month00.htm is one of the best sites in terms of the overall consumer info on the service. 

Is another one. I was hoping someone had a book or something about the whole thing. Also wish someone would make a (non-marketing, history-focused) book on the Rocky Mountaineer and how it gobbled VIA's Rocky Mountaineer and eventually the route served by the Northwind.

On 11/29/2022 at 6:55 PM, InfiNorth said:

If I recall correctly, the photos on that page are all part of the same collection put together for the marketing CD-ROM (man, what a time to be alive). If I'm not mistaken, VIA still has ownership of the old non-dome observation car employed on the service. 

http://www.okthepk.ca/publicArchive/201204whistlerNorthwind/month00.htm is one of the best sites in terms of the overall consumer info on the service. 

Is another one. I was hoping someone had a book or something about the whole thing. Also wish someone would make a (non-marketing, history-focused) book on the Rocky Mountaineer and how it gobbled VIA's Rocky Mountaineer and eventually the route served by the Northwind.

VIA sold the observation car within the last few years. I can't recall where I read that.

• Like 1