VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

14 hours ago, Michel said:

This isn’t a PR move.  What other railway company in BC had readily available passenger cars?   It’s about reuniting families and nothing more.  The provincial state of emergency makes federal funds available for this.

TransLink would have had Bilevels available, I'm surprised they didn't use them (higher capacity), especially since VIA out of Vancouver is familiar with operating them. I wasn't talking about VIA using it as PR, as I had to search hard to find any info about this (at least when I posted).

32 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

TransLink would have had Bilevels available, I'm surprised they didn't use them (higher capacity), especially since VIA out of Vancouver is familiar with operating them. I wasn't talking about VIA using it as PR, as I had to search hard to find any info about this (at least when I posted).

Just speculating here, but I can see 4 things which clearly favored VIA over WCE:

1) WCE needs their trains (and crews) for their regular schedule, whereas VIA had a full consist ready for a departure which has been cancelled until further notice.

2) The presence of a baggage car allowed passengers to transport their dogs in a crate, which was advertised prominently.

3) VIA/CN/CP LEs are probably not qualified on WCE equipment and WCE LEs are not qualified East of Mission.

4) Without prior tests, it is always better to stick to a solution which resembles established operations and practices as much as possible. Don't want the whole mission to fail because someone forgot a vital constraint...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

Just speculating here, but I can see 4 things which clearly favored VIA over WCE:

1) WCE needs their trains (and crews) for their regular schedule, whereas VIA had a full consist ready for a departure which has been cancelled until further notice.

2) The presence of a baggage car allowed passengers to transport their dogs in a crate, which was advertised prominently.

3) VIA/CN/CP LEs are probably not qualified on WCE equipment and WCE LEs are not qualified East of Mission.

4) Without prior tests, it is always better to stick to a solution which resembles established operations and practices as much as possible. Don't want the whole mission to fail because someone forgot a vital constraint...

Good points. I will point out that VIA power has pulled the WCE in the past when WCE equipment is out of service at the Vancouver maintenance centre - but as you pointed out, WCE equipment doesn't operate that far out in the valley (though it should), so it is best to reduce variables as much as possible.

43 minutes ago, Bessarion said:

Pardon for my ignorance, If VIA lost access to the turn around track in Halifax, how does it turn around? Does it run in reverse on the way back to Montreal?

I'm assuming you are speaking about the Ocean. Previous replies in this thread indicated they would operate with two engines back-to-back, which would run around to the opposite end of the train in Halifax. The rest of the consist would not change.

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

I'm assuming you are speaking about the Ocean. Previous replies in this thread indicated they would operate with two engines back-to-back, which would run around to the opposite end of the train in Halifax. The rest of the consist would not change.

Just curious - why not operate with an engine on each end? No switching needed... is this so that sleepers can be repositioned to the non-engine end of the train for quieter experiences?

11 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Just curious - why not operate with an engine on each end? No switching needed... is this so that sleepers can be repositioned to the non-engine end of the train for quieter experiences?

Because neither the Ren cars nor the HEP1 cars have pass-through MU cables. If they were to leave one loco at each end, only the leading loco could be used to provide propulsion to the train.

Dan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

Because neither the Ren cars nor the HEP1 cars have pass-through MU cables. If they were to leave one loco at each end, only the leading loco could be used to provide propulsion to the train.

Thanks lots - wasn't familiar enough with it to know that. Are LRCs on the Corridors set up for push-pull with both units powering or do they do the double-enders with only one locomotive running?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Thanks lots - wasn't familiar enough with it to know that. Are LRCs on the Corridors set up for push-pull with both units powering or do they do the double-enders with only one locomotive running?

I believe LRC's do have MU cables for push pull with both locos powered

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, smallspy said:

Dan

I don’t get it, so on the eastbound journey to Halifax the locos pull the train and on the westbound the locos push the train back to Montreal? 

20 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

The LRC and HEP2 cars all have pass-through MU connections, meaning that they can be set up with operating locos on both ends, yes.

10 hours ago, Bessarion said:

I don’t get it, so on the eastbound journey to Halifax the locos pull the train and on the westbound the locos push the train back to Montreal? 

The two locos - set up back-to-back - pull the train to Halifax.

At Halifax, the locos cut off of the train, and run around to the other end. They then couple up and make all of the necessary connections to the train.

Then then pull the train back in the opposite direction.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2021 at 3:25 AM, Michel said:

This isn’t a PR move.  What other railway company in BC had readily available passenger cars?   It’s about reuniting families and nothing more.  The provincial state of emergency makes federal funds available for this.

Funded by EMBC (Emergency Management BC) through the PEP (Provincial Emergency Program).  I'm not sure if EMBC has standing contracts with VIA for this sort of thing, but it's definitely going into the Emergency Management playbook in the future.  Beyond just reuniting families, the VIA evacuation helped move several medical patients out of Hope who had time sensitive medical needs and several paramedic crews that had been stranded for several days. 

• Like 1

In this conversation with rail enthusiast David Bellerive, we discuss these exciting new trainsets, what they offer, all the great improvements they bring, and why we can't wait to ride them for real in the coming years!

See more of the train in this short video walkthrough: https://youtu.be/iKEwNK_DTjc

To learn more about these new trains, David Bellerive created this fantastic article filled with pictures: https://www.railfans.ca/via-rail/a-first-look-at-via-rail-canada-s-new-fleet

• Like 3

18 hours ago, sseguin said:

In this conversation with rail enthusiast David Bellerive, we discuss these exciting new trainsets, what they offer, all the great improvements they bring, and why we can't wait to ride them for real in the coming years!

See more of the train in this short video walkthrough: https://youtu.be/iKEwNK_DTjc

To learn more about these new trains, David Bellerive created this fantastic article filled with pictures: https://www.railfans.ca/via-rail/a-first-look-at-via-rail-canada-s-new-fleet

God, what I would give to have these running up and down the Fraser Valley and up to Whistler.

The State of Passenger Rail in Canada with Terry Johnson, Transport Action Canada - December 2021

VIA Rail Canada is the operator of passenger rail in Canada. Many changes and improvements are in store for VIA Rail over the coming years. These include a new fleet for the busy Corridor service (servicing from Windsor to Quebec City), as well as High-Frequency Rail (HFR), which together are poised to create new opportunities and options for travellers and passengers.

In this discussion with Terry Johnson, President of Transport Action Canada, we discuss the new fleet, high-frequency rail, the struggles and challenges that passenger rail in Canada faces, why passenger rail in Europe is so successful and popular, and the possibilities and hopes for the future for the rest of Canada.

• 2 weeks later...