VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

9 hours ago, Shaun said:

It's probably a lot of work for rolling stock that needs to be replaced soon.  You would need to replace all of the seats, and the mounts that they sit on. 

Soon is a pretty vague word. The cars have at least another decade or so left in them. They'll last well into the 2030s before a replacement is absolutely necessary. One might be sought beforehand but they aren't done quite yet. As for it being a lot of work, it probably wouldn't be that much work. Just replacing the mounts on the seats to be the same as in the coaches. I don't think the seats themselves would need to be changed. It's just would VIA be willing to? A few comments i've seen from them suggest so but maybe they aren't aware modifications would be needed or perhaps they'd be content with leaving the seats as is

23 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

So, all things considering, how likely is it that a skyline car will be added to the Ocean's consist in the future? I know that technically it could be done now but the dome seating needs to be modified to have reversible seating so the seats can be turned at each terminus. What is the likelihood of such modifications being made? I ask because it's strange that VIA didn't modify the seating in any of the Renaissance coaches. 

I mean the train only runs backwards for 3 hours? In one direction before it can be turned around. 

So out of the two day journey only 3 hours is backwards. Is that worth spending 100k replacing the seats and mounts? 

If you are going to do a refurbishment anyways, then it would be worth it. 

On 10/11/2021 at 8:03 PM, lifty4ever said:

So, all things considering, how likely is it that a skyline car will be added to the Ocean's consist in the future? I know that technically it could be done now but the dome seating needs to be modified to have reversible seating so the seats can be turned at each terminus. What is the likelihood of such modifications being made? I ask because it's strange that VIA didn't modify the seating in any of the Renaissance coaches. 

I anticipate that a Skyline will return once tourism returns, but the seat orientation of the Skylines is unlikely to be modified for 50:50 or even a rotatable configuration.

As for the Renaissance coaches, I believe they just operate one coach facing one and the other the other direction, which allows for a 50:50 split between forward and backward facing without any physical modifications.

4 hours ago, Shaun said:

I mean the train only runs backwards for 3 hours? In one direction before it can be turned around. 

So out of the two day journey only 3 hours is backwards. Is that worth spending 100k replacing the seats and mounts? 

Not sure which 3 hours you are referring to. Halifax-Truro is less than 2 hours, but IIRC all passengers would have to get off-board in Truro while the train wyes over non-mainline track. That should be less of an issue in Moncton, but that is almost five hours after leaving Halifax...

8 hours ago, Shaun said:

Uhh this does not happen. The train no longer turns around. At either terminus, the locomotives simply change ends. Seats in the Budd coaches are reversed each time to have majority facing the direction of travel. There's two Renaissance coaches, one facing in each direction as well. 

4 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

I anticipate that a Skyline will return once tourism returns, but the seat orientation of the Skylines is unlikely to be modified for 50:50 or even a rotatable configuration.

As for the Renaissance coaches, I believe they just operate one coach facing one and the other the other direction, which allows for a 50:50 split between forward and backward facing without any physical modifications.

Not sure which 3 hours you are referring to. Halifax-Truro is less than 2 hours, but IIRC all passengers would have to get off-board in Truro while the train wyes over non-mainline track. That should be less of an issue in Moncton, but that is almost five hours after leaving Halifax...

VIA found it was not possible nor viable to back the train all the to the Truro wye due to distance and safety concerns. There was a wye at Windsor Junction a while ago but it was foolishly torn up. But surely modifications to the seating would have to be made. I just don't see them being left as is. In any case, i'm hoping more official information of this much desired addition will become available within the next year or so. Perhaps we can convince CN or whoever to reinstall that wye. Then we can get the park car back as well

2 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

Uhh this does not happen. The train no longer turns around. At either terminus, the locomotives simply change ends. Seats in the Budd coaches are reversed each time to have majority facing the direction of travel. There's two Renaissance coaches, one facing in each direction as well. 

VIA found it was not possible nor viable to back the train all the to the Truro wye due to distance and safety concerns. There was a wye at Windsor Junction a while ago but it was foolishly torn up. But surely modifications to the seating would have to be made. I just don't see them being left as is. In any case, i'm hoping more official information of this much desired addition will become available within the next year or so. Perhaps we can convince CN or whoever to reinstall that wye. Then we can get the park car back as well

There are a lot of ports in the area, nobody has space for a wye to turn the train? 

19 hours ago, Shaun said:

There are a lot of ports in the area, nobody has space for a wye to turn the train? 

Nope. All trackage not used by CN was torn up to allow for expansion of the container storage area which was needed  as business has been increasing there.

3 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

Yeah i seen as well. Excellent news. Seeing the other Ocean consists will be interesting. I presume the second set will be largely the same a the first set and a 3rd set would likely have to be full budd

Anyone else notice how on the VIA website, concerning the Ocean, when looking at booking options, if you go to far from present day, the budd options disappear, even though they're on every train? As you near the journey date, they become available but i'd imagine that to be very annoying if say you wanted to book in advance a triple cabin. You'd have to call in or something

On 10/13/2021 at 12:19 AM, Urban Sky said:

One thing that just came to me is they could run two skylines, one in each direction so that half of the seats are backwards and half are forwards

1 hour ago, lifty4ever said:

One thing that just came to me is they could run two skylines, one in each direction so that half of the seats are backwards and half are forwards

VIA's website mentions a fleet size of 16 Skyline cars. With peak consists using 3 Skylines each (one for each of the two Diners plus one for Economy class), you would have assigned every single Skyline in the fleet, with zero spares (assuming 4 consists on the Canadian and 2 on the Ocean: 4x3+2×2=16)...

14 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

Yeah i seen as well. Excellent news. Seeing the other Ocean consists will be interesting. I presume the second set will be largely the same a the first set and a 3rd set would likely have to be full budd

Only two sets of equipment are required for the full service as has existed for the past several years. Thus, there is no need for a third set.

Dan

21 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

VIA's website mentions a fleet size of 16 Skyline cars. With peak consists using 3 Skylines each (one for each of the two Diners plus one for Economy class), you would have assigned every single Skyline in the fleet, with zero spares (assuming 4 consists on the Canadian and 2 on the Ocean: 4x3+2×2=16)...

Ocean could just be limited to two skylines  year round. Then i believe you have the two for the Hudson Bay. I was also under the impression that there is only 2 Canadian consists at any given time especially with the 3rd trips permanently cancelled due to equipment needed for the Ocean. That's 4 for the 2 Ocean trains. Most skylines i've seen on a Canadian consist is 3 so 6 for the 2 Canadian consists for a current total of 10. Then 2 for the Hudson Bay. This leaves 4 spares. I don't see why this wouldn't work. In the event of extra departures maybe there would be some difficulties but i don't think VIA has done the extra departures on any of it's routes in years now

9 hours ago, smallspy said:

Only two sets of equipment are required for the full service as has existed for the past several years. Thus, there is no need for a third set.

Dan

There was the occasional third set back when VIA was doing extra departures during peak summer and winter periods but i don't think they do that anymore. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

There was the occasional third set back when VIA was doing extra departures during peak summer and winter periods but i don't think they do that anymore. 

As originally rebuilt, there were three full sets of Renaissance equipment. The equivalent of one set was damaged and removed from service some time ago, however, shortly before the reduction of the service from 6 times a week to 3 times a week.

Whenever they have run the additional frequencies in the past, they have used whatever spare equipment was available from the Budd fleet pool. There is no reason to believe that they won't continue to do this going forward. But did they have a third trainset just lying around for the Ocean? No.

11 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

I couldn't tell ya personally. I've not heard of any fleet in long term storage. If VIA does decide to throw a skyline onto the Ocean, it'll be very interesting to see just what they plan to do

No, there are no spare Skyline cars. All of the cars in VIA's possession are fit for service.

Dan

21 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

Ocean could just be limited to two skylines  year round. Then i believe you have the two for the Hudson Bay. I was also under the impression that there is only 2 Canadian consists at any given time especially with the 3rd trips permanently cancelled due to equipment needed for the Ocean. That's 4 for the 2 Ocean trains. Most skylines i've seen on a Canadian consist is 3 so 6 for the 2 Canadian consists for a current total of 10. Then 2 for the Hudson Bay. This leaves 4 spares. I don't see why this wouldn't work. In the event of extra departures maybe there would be some difficulties but i don't think VIA has done the extra departures on any of it's routes in years now

Forget about Covid schedules, from May 2022 onwards there will be 4 consists required, that is 12 Skylines plus one spare at VMC, leaving you with just enough Skylines for Churchill (which operates with 3 consists, not just 2, as the third set is required for maintenance). This means that there are no 4 Skylines available for the Ocean and not even one whenever passenger counts on the Churchill service are too low to operate with a Diner.

As for the Ocean, I'm pretty sure I'm repeating myself, but there is no 3rd consist, even though all car types have at least one spare at MMC...

36 minutes ago, Urban Sky said:

Forget about Covid schedules, from May 2022 onwards there will be 4 consists required, that is 12 Skylines plus one spare at VMC, leaving you with just enough Skylines for Churchill (which operates with 3 consists, not just 2, as the third set is required for maintenance). This means that there are no 4 Skylines available for the Ocean and not even one whenever passenger counts on the Churchill service are too low to operate with a Diner.

As for the Ocean, I'm pretty sure I'm repeating myself, but there is no 3rd consist, even though all car types have at least one spare at MMC...

I am more than positive there is only 2 sets for a train that only runs twice a week, not 4. Im not sure where this number comes from. I was also speaking of pre covid schedules. Currently for the once a week Ocean and Canadian, there is only one set each. This will increase to 2 each once the frequencies increase

I thought Skylines on the Hudson Bay were an anomaly and that they usually weren't used on that route? That's what I was told when I took the train in 2019. They announced to the passengers that we would only have limited dining opportunities onboard as the usual dining car on the Canadian was temporarily out of service so they had to transfer the Hudson Bay dining car to the Canadian and trade out a Skyline for basic meal services.

4 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

I am more than positive there is only 2 sets for a train that only runs twice a week, not 4. Im not sure where this number comes from. I was also speaking of pre covid schedules. Currently for the once a week Ocean and Canadian, there is only one set each. This will increase to 2 each once the frequencies increase

And the Canadian will go from 2 to 4 consists the moment when VIA returns to the pre-Covid schedule of two frequencies per week (served by 3 consists) and a third summer-only frequency (served by the fourth consist) between Edmonton and Vancouver, which is currently scheduled for May 2022...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

And the Canadian will go from 2 to 4 consists the moment when VIA returns to the pre-Covid schedule of two frequencies per week (served by 3 consists) and a third summer-only frequency (served by the fourth consist) between Edmonton and Vancouver, which is currently scheduled for May 2022...

I don't know if can (or already have done so) comment on this, but where will the Corridor HEP fleet be reallocated once the new Siemens equipment is fully in service? Will there be an increase in services, or mothballed, or...?

6 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

Interesting....

3 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

I don't know if can (or already have done so) comment on this, but where will the Corridor HEP fleet be reallocated once the new Siemens equipment is fully in service? Will there be an increase in services, or mothballed, or...?

On VIA's website, it says they'll be reallocated to long distance and regional trains but just how this will work is unknown as of yet. We have until mid decade yet to find out though. Im interested to see if any of the corridor HEP fleet can be converted to suit other purposes or if their age will limit them to being converted to LD coaches. What i was thinking is some of the cars could be converted into accessible coaches with the large bathrooms (I believe this was originally a plan for the LD HEPs), cafe/dinette cars with light cookware or accessible sleepers if the cars condition is good enough. As i understand it, the main issue isn't a shortage of coach cars. It's a shortage of other types of cars. The damaged sets of Renaissance cars over the years hasn't done any favors and let us all hope and pray no more become damaged because then i don't know what VIA would do with an even further shortage of rolling stock. 

(Also am i the only one wanting a passenger car manufacturer to make a modern proper dome car? Why is it something we stopped building? As a concept, imo it works better than the other modern incarnations of the observational car I.E. the Alaska Railroad, RMR and Superliner examples.)

7 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

I thought Skylines on the Hudson Bay were an anomaly and that they usually weren't used on that route? That's what I was told when I took the train in 2019. They announced to the passengers that we would only have limited dining opportunities onboard as the usual dining car on the Canadian was temporarily out of service so they had to transfer the Hudson Bay dining car to the Canadian and trade out a Skyline for basic meal services.

I don't know but i've seen tons of videos and images of the Hudson Bay with some kind of dome car. Usually a skyline and rarely a park. Only a few times have i seen a domeless Hudson Bay.

9 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

The Corridor HEP fleet that is still operable once the whole of the Siemens fleet is active will be used to increase services in the Corridor.

6 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

(Also am i the only one wanting a passenger car manufacturer to make a modern proper dome car? Why is it something we stopped building? As a concept, imo it works better than the other modern incarnations of the observational car I.E. the Alaska Railroad, RMR and Superliner examples.)

When compared to the "regular" passenger cars that the same companies built, they are a humongous pain in the ass to design and construct.

Dan

• Like 1