17 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

A couple of random questions....

1. How quickly was the "Canada" lettering and flag added to the locomotive and passenger car fleet? 
Since it's a tough decision since I can't afford to buy all variations of the livery out already (LRC cars) and in the future (F40's and Canadian cars).
So far with the LRC cars I've decided to go without the logos added.

2. Why didn't the RS-18m's fitted by CN with HEP equipment for the Tempo cars ever end up in the VIA fleet? It seems they kept pulling the Tempo cars well into the VIA era.

Thanks in advance!

1. I started photographing in 1997, and I can't seem to find photos that I took of any sets of corridor equipment that where some cars are and some cars aren't. It seems that, at least for the corridor fleet, that the cars and locos were done quite quickly. (But it may also be that I wasn't prolific enough to catch more of the change-over.)

2. The idea was that the Tempo cars were going to be converted to the same standard as was going to be used on the LRC cars and locos as they were being delivered and thus they wouldn't need the RS-18m anymore. And while this did eventually happen, for some reason they never got around to converting the cars until 1983 or 1984 or so - and so they needed the locos until then.

Dan

• Thanks 1

For some reason I think the Canadian equipment might not have all had the lettering and flags until a bit later. I don't recall the year at this moment went I first encountered the Canadian. Entirely accidental as it left Edmonton one morning and I was at the right place at the right time at Walker. I vividly remember the bug shields on the locomotives of all things. I need to dig those photos out. I tried to photograph every car on the train but I ran out of film on that roll. Pretty sure that the locomotives had the Canada lettering and flags though.

I've been keeping an eye out for slides on eBay of the CN RS-18m with Tempo's painted for VIA, and even Tempo cars in VIA colours, although I discovered recently I already have a few VIA Tempo's in my collection. I've kind of come to like some of the oddball VIA stuff out there.

At today's Toronto Region Board of Trade Recovery Summit Series on transportation, on a panel (screenshot below) the President and CEO of VIA Rail provided some remarks that touched on HFR.

Here is the audio: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x_Da_AQ4NYMwOCS_MOfr6x6uzrB37q62/view?usp=sharing

Quick summary (my paraphrasing):

• VIA had its best year in 2019 and hit a revenue high and experienced 5 years of ridership growth leading up to 2019;
  • Despite the challenges of the blockade and COVID-19, we can't lose sight of modernization;
  • VIA is reaching the limit of its potential and frequency potential, and needs modernization;
  • Modernization includes: 1) new reservation system; 2) refurbishment of the existing fleet; 3) the new fleet coming online in 2022; and 4) HFR is the "flagship" and the "heart of the future";
  • $71 million was allocated by the feds in 2019 to study 2019. The Joint Project Office (JPO) report should be available "shortly" and they hope for a decision by the end of the year [it wasn't clear who is making the decision but I assume the Minister];
  • HFR: it's about frequency and connectivity, creating service for new places, improving reliability/on-time performance, getting passenger trains away from freight trains, environmental sustainability, and there is an opportunity to electrify the network [route]. It was noted that it's a large-scale project that aligns with the government's goals on job creation and aligns with green goals; and
  • SW Ontario - there was a question on more SW Ontario service. Here is the audio of the response: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yhOz5jJ1-oKlQ607wswoMMuB4sbLotVx/view?usp=sharing

Screenshot.png

• Thanks 3

Interesting find in Scranton, PA. (Google, in its infinite brilliance, blurred the number plate) Old F unit (not good enough with motive power to recognize specifically what model it is) and a non-VIA stainless car. I am surprised to see any old VIA power of this vintage still around in any form outside of museums - I assume this one was on its way to scrap judging by its condition.

Edit: I did a big old dumb and pasted an audio link from this very thread originally. Correct link now in place.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

Interesting find in Scranton, PA. (Google, in its infinite brilliance, blurred the number plate) Old F unit (not good enough with motive power to recognize specifically what model it is) and a non-VIA stainless car. I am surprised to see any old VIA power of this vintage still around in any form outside of museums - I assume this one was on its way to scrap judging by its condition.

Your link is to a MP3 file. 😉

There's actually quite a number of ex VIA locomotives around. I believe the majority of the rebuilt 6300 series F units found new homes, with a couple still running for Ontario Southland in revenue freight service. Generally speaking quite a few of the other F units and MLW FPA4 locomotives found a new home, some in museums, but certainly some earning their keep in excursion service. There is even at least one FPA4 converted to run on natural gas running for the Napa Valley Wine Train.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Your link is to a MP3 file. 😉

See my edited post... I did a dumb.