Jump to content

VIA Rail Canada


Waiting for 30 Minutes
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

Removing seats to create a tie down location does not solve the issue that the wheel chair has to somehow rise from platform level to the boarding height and then to physically fit through the doors...

Nevermind the fact that you're trying to do this with equipment that is 70 years old, and despite best efforts may not be in the greatest of shape....

 

Dan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

Have you ever counted in a timetable how many stations the Canadian or Churchill train serve along their respective routes? What do you think how many of them are staffed, i.e. have employees which could operate said wheel chair lifts?

Are the lifts stored on the trains themselves or at the stations? I can't picture there being a wheelchair lift at O'Day, Manitoba... so yeah, upgrades are well in order. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Are the lifts stored on the trains themselves or at the stations? I can't picture there being a wheelchair lift at O'Day, Manitoba... so yeah, upgrades are well in order. 

So then I guess there is no accessibility on heritage fleet trains until they get some new rolling stock. Or at a minimum insert one new accessible car per train? Would that be a solution? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Shaun said:

So then I guess there is no accessibility on heritage fleet trains until they get some new rolling stock. Or at a minimum insert one new accessible car per train? Would that be a solution? 

It would be interesting to see how a stainless car could be refit to be 100% accessible. I genuinely can't come up with any ideas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Shaun said:

So then I guess there is no accessibility on heritage fleet trains until they get some new rolling stock. Or at a minimum insert one new accessible car per train? Would that be a solution? 

10 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

It would be interesting to see how a stainless car could be refit to be 100% accessible. I genuinely can't come up with any ideas.

Not sure what is meant with “100% accessible”, but aren’t the Prestige Park cars on the Canadian accessible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

Not sure what is meant with “100% accessible”, but aren’t the Prestige Park cars on the Canadian accessible?

The other thing i was wondering was with the corrosion issues with the sleepers, when they did the Prestige cars they they not uncover the corrosion issues then? Or was it not as bad then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

It would be interesting to see how a stainless car could be refit to be 100% accessible. I genuinely can't come up with any ideas.

And perhaps this is why Bombardier had so much trouble.

 

It should be noted that "accessible" doesn't just mean a wheelchair lift. It also means bigger vestibule doors. It means wider aisles and ensuring that there is an adequate turning circle for anyone in any sort of mobility device, which on the HEP equipment is going to involve rearranging and likely moving the electrical cabinets. Even the floor of the vestibule is going to have to change, as it is lower than the floor of the cars, with a large cast threshold. It may even mean moving some of the underfloor appliances if the weight balance gets thrown off.

 

And to do this to 70+ year old equipment? That's not a small ask.

 

It should also be noted that the other two refurbishment projects - CAD doing the HEP1s and MMC doing the HEP2s - are also running behind VIA's original schedule when the projects were announced.

 

Dan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

And perhaps this is why Bombardier had so much trouble.

 

It should be noted that "accessible" doesn't just mean a wheelchair lift. It also means bigger vestibule doors. It means wider aisles and ensuring that there is an adequate turning circle for anyone in any sort of mobility device, which on the HEP equipment is going to involve rearranging and likely moving the electrical cabinets. Even the floor of the vestibule is going to have to change, as it is lower than the floor of the cars, with a large cast threshold. It may even mean moving some of the underfloor appliances if the weight balance gets thrown off.

 

And to do this to 70+ year old equipment? That's not a small ask.

Exactly. Considering that not even the REN fleet was appropriately accessible and resulted in a lawsuit, and it was modern in the early 2000s, I can't imagine how much is truly inaccessible about the stainless fleet. I love it, I hope they manage to retain that classic look as it is exceptionally special for the Canadian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Exactly. Considering that not even the REN fleet was appropriately accessible and resulted in a lawsuit, and it was modern in the early 2000s, I can't imagine how much is truly inaccessible about the stainless fleet. I love it, I hope they manage to retain that classic look as it is exceptionally special for the Canadian.

Those Ren cars might not even last as long as the stainless fleet. 

Did they ever get around to fixing the leaking HVAC and roof leaks on the REN cars?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Those Ren cars might not even last as long as the stainless fleet. 

Did they ever get around to fixing the leaking HVAC and roof leaks on the REN cars?

 

Might not? VIA has already announced their intention to phase them out... to be replaced by what? I'm fine with stainless, but at some point VIA Rail will need to do more than just change the colour of the upholstery (who thought that Blue-Grey was a good idea anyways) and update them to proper modern interiors. Maybe we can have some sort of hilarious multicultural mashup like the Australian XPT.

 

XPT.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Might not? VIA has already announced their intention to phase them out... to be replaced by what? I'm fine with stainless, but at some point VIA Rail will need to do more than just change the colour of the upholstery (who thought that Blue-Grey was a good idea anyways) and update them to proper modern interiors. Maybe we can have some sort of hilarious multicultural mashup like the Australian XPT.

 

XPT.jpg

And...replaced with...what? Until we see a winning tender for replacement, we dont know for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

I'm fine with stainless, but at some point VIA Rail will need to do more than just change the colour of the upholstery (who thought that Blue-Grey was a good idea anyways) and update them to proper modern interiors.

You mean like the 33 HEP 2 cars (Economy and Business) in Corridor, which are getting converted to LRC seats and interiors as we speak?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

You mean like the 33 HEP 2 cars (Economy and Business) in Corridor, which are getting converted to LRC seats and interiors as we speak?

I was referring to the long-distance fleet, which since the 1950s hasn't had a customer-side change in interior design other than colours (as opposed to mechanical upgrades, which I know they have received a lot of). About the Corridor HEP, this photo from the link you provided (below) shows seating that even incorporates the classic daynighter footrests... definitely not LRC (thank heavens, I can't say the LRC seats are at all comfortable). Are there various levels of upgrades taking place on different cars to install different types of seating?

seat_comfort.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

I was referring to the long-distance fleet, which since the 1950s hasn't had a customer-side change in interior design other than colours (as opposed to mechanical upgrades, which I know they have received a lot of). About the Corridor HEP, this photo from the link you provided (below) shows seating that even incorporates the classic daynighter footrests... definitely not LRC (thank heavens, I can't say the LRC seats are at all comfortable). Are there various levels of upgrades taking place on different cars to install different types of seating?

seat_comfort.jpg

That photo is of the HEP1 coaches. There are two or three cars completed, and they all have that interior scheme and configuration. They are replacing just about all of the interior materials, but nothing more than that will be discernible to the passenger.

 

The HEP2 cars are currently getting the same German (I think?) seats as have been retrofitted into the non-rebuilt LRC cars.

 

Dan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2020 at 5:45 PM, Shaun said:

Also looks like the ocean won't return for November 1st.

 

Here's the News Release, no return of the Canadian or Ocean. 

https://media.viarail.ca/en/press-releases/2020/rail-postpones-service-resumption-canadian-and-ocean

I suppose it makes sense, particularly with the regulations in several provinces about travel. 

I'm really starting to get nervous about what the future of long distance rail in Canada looks like. Taking the Canadian service level down 50% to two trains weekly was a big blow already. Between scheduling issues, aging equipment, ridership, and no foreseeable plan for major changes it's feeling pretty grim. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Dane said:

Here's the News Release, no return of the Canadian or Ocean. 

https://media.viarail.ca/en/press-releases/2020/rail-postpones-service-resumption-canadian-and-ocean

I suppose it makes sense, particularly with the regulations in several provinces about travel. 

I'm really starting to get nervous about what the future of long distance rail in Canada looks like. Taking the Canadian service level down 50% to two trains weekly was a big blow already. Between scheduling issues, aging equipment, ridership, and no foreseeable plan for major changes it's feeling pretty grim. 

It's a pretty sad time for Western Canada in terms of rail travel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2020 at 1:09 PM, InfiNorth said:

Are the lifts stored on the trains themselves or at the stations? I can't picture there being a wheelchair lift at O'Day, Manitoba... so yeah, upgrades are well in order. 

Late to the party, but wife is in a wheelchair so have seen the lifts in action first hand when we took the VIA from Oshawa to Kingston last year (pre-booked and advised she was in a wheelchair)

they are stored at the station as it's large hand cranked platform that gets wheeled out.

On the way down we were in one of the silver carriages and there's no way it would fit past the vistibule (it's a manual chair maybe 26 inches wide - the seat cushion is 18x18) so she they had to bring a travel chair from the other end of the train) seat and then the chair taken apart for storage).  Not sure what happened but the carriage we were supposed to be in and the carriage we ended up in were different.

coming back we had the newer green carriage.  Was able to get her further (to the first row of seats which were the 2 pairs facing each other) and she could transfer directly.  Didn't need the washroom but from what I could see, it would have worked for her.

Both ways it was a slow processor that wouldn't have helped the train keep to schedule.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

It's a pretty sad time for Western Canada in terms of rail travel. 

Buddy. Do you understand that there are restrictions from Alberta Residents travelling into BC by car? 

And then Nova Scotia and PEI is another bubble? 

You can't travel freely between these provinces anyways. 

So what's the point of running the train?

You would need to contact trace who got on and off where on what train. And then make sure that people from Quebec are not able to travel to Halifax without a specific reason. How would you control that? Not to mention enforcement of social distancing and sanitizing all of those surfaces, without putting crew members in danger.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2020 at 6:49 PM, Shaun said:

Buddy. Do you understand that there are restrictions from Alberta Residents travelling into BC by car? 

I can't speak for the east, but there are no restrictions for out of province travelling to BC.  As stated on the BC government website, out of province travelers are to follow the same advice as people travelling within BC; stay home if you're sick, maintain social distancing and avoid large crowds/keep groups small.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/phase-3

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess they must have lifted the restrictions. 

As for the east it says:

Breadcrumb

  1. Home 
  2. COVID 19 ( Coronavirus ) Updates
 

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Updates

The Public Health Agency of Canada is actively monitoring the current outbreak of COVID-19 (coronavirus) and working with the World Health Organization and other international partners.

Hiker taking in the view from the Franey Trail look-off in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia

What you need to know

Answers to frequently asked questions about travelling to Nova Scotia can be found on the COVID-19 FAQ section.

The Province of Nova Scotia has declared a state of emergency.

  • Effective July 31, 2020, non-medical masks are mandatory in most indoor public places in Nova Scotia.
  • As of July 3, 2020, the “Atlantic Bubble” is in effect. This means that travel within Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador is permitted without the requirement to self-isolate for Atlantic Canadian residents. If you live in an Atlantic Canadian province, you need to show proof of residency when you enter Nova Scotia.
    • When Atlantic Canadians arrive in Nova Scotia, every adult needs to provide government-issued identification (like a Driver's Licence or Health Card) or a utility bill or bank statement that shows their permanent home address. A self-declaration form isn't required for Atlantic Canadians to enter Nova Scotia.
    • Atlantic Canadians also need to follow public health directives while they're in Nova Scotia.
  • People travelling from outside Atlantic Canada must self-isolate for 14 days when they arrive in Nova Scotia. If they have already self-isolate in another Atlantic Canadian province, they may enter Nova Scotia without self-isolating again. Every adult (age 18 or older) arriving from outside Atlantic Canada needs to complete a Safe Check-in Form before they travel to the province. You can complete and submit the Safe Check-in Form online here: https://travel-declaration.novascotia.ca/
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2020 at 5:24 PM, Marc said:

Late to the party, but wife is in a wheelchair so have seen the lifts in action first hand when we took the VIA from Oshawa to Kingston last year (pre-booked and advised she was in a wheelchair)

they are stored at the station as it's large hand cranked platform that gets wheeled out.

On the way down we were in one of the silver carriages and there's no way it would fit past the vistibule (it's a manual chair maybe 26 inches wide - the seat cushion is 18x18) so she they had to bring a travel chair from the other end of the train) seat and then the chair taken apart for storage).  Not sure what happened but the carriage we were supposed to be in and the carriage we ended up in were different.

coming back we had the newer green carriage.  Was able to get her further (to the first row of seats which were the 2 pairs facing each other) and she could transfer directly.  Didn't need the washroom but from what I could see, it would have worked for her.

Both ways it was a slow processor that wouldn't have helped the train keep to schedule.

The lack of floor-level platforms along the Corridor outside of a few select stations really bothers me. Boarding/unloading in Montreal and Quebec City would be a breeze as all they do is place a ramp bridging the gap from the platform to the carriage, and the one positive thing I can say about the REN Carriages is that the doors are nice and wide, and the floors line up with the raised platforms nicely. That and the fact that the restrooms (including their doors) are massive, unlike the garbage in the HEP fleet. I understand not having raised platforms all the way from Toronto to Vancouver - that would be extremely costly for such a small benefit. As a note, the only station anywhere on the entire run of the Canadian with raised platforms is Winnipeg... which hilariously is also the second busiest station that the Canadian serves... after Toronto... which itself doesn't have raised platforms except for the UP Express (and subway, obviously).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...