8 minutes ago, Shaun said:

How do people get to and from Jasper? Since the Canadian is suspended until November.

wow I thought all the via stuff went to Toronto, And wouldn't it make sense to have it run Edmonton-Jasper-Prince Rupert on a modified schedule.

37 minutes ago, Shaun said:

How do people get to and from Jasper? Since the Canadian is suspended until November.

I seriously doubt this service will geared for tourists, but rather to provide remote service along the line, so no worry about how to get to Jasper.

All the current COVID-19 protocols for food/beverage service will be applied to this train — water and snack; pack your own lunch. No sleeper service, no dome/lounge.

28 minutes ago, roeco said:

wow I thought all the via stuff went to Toronto, And wouldn't it make sense to have it run Edmonton-Jasper-Prince Rupert on a modified schedule.

If memory services, I think there are minor maintenance facilities in Jasper.

32 minutes ago, downbeat said:

I seriously doubt this service will geared for tourists, but rather to provide remote service along the line, so no worry about how to get to Jasper.

All the current COVID-19 protocols for food/beverage service will be applied to this train — water and snack; pack your own lunch. No sleeper service, no dome/lounge.

It's about 7 hours from Edmonton to Jasper, so to do it without sleepers and dining cars all the way to prince Rupert is a bit tough. But it would help people who need to travel during the pandemic, especially as winter hits. 

32 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Meanwhile...train service to Banff via Canmore.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-banff-train-study-1.5605293

I'm not sure why they wouldn't just extend the train to make Louise, and allow people to be shuttled from Banff to Lake Louise.

Is there enough space to double track the CP line all the way from Calgary to Banff?

The Skeena does not normally run with sleepers; it is a day coach, and does the trip from Jasper to Prince Rupert in two days, overnighting in Prince George.

The main point of resuming once-a-week service on this line is to provide service back to the isolated communities along the train's route. Jasper (and connections further to Edmonton) is not the main destination - Prince George and its services (like the hospital) are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised, quite frankly, that they are bothering to run the eastern portion of the schedule (Jasper-Prince Rupert). That part of the route, save for McBride nd a few small hamlets close to Prince George, is virtually devoid of settlements. The western portion of the route, on the other hand, I've always wondered why it doesn't have more service. BC Transit funds the awful BC Bus North service along the exact same route at a lower frequency and it seems to work, and on top of that, other than Prince Rupert-Terrace, you can do the entire route on scheduled local transit buses if you have enough time. It's probably the most transportation-diverse corridor in all of BC. It would make far more sense to be operating Prince Rupert-Prince George only. 

I'm actually pretty impressed that VIA was bright enough to not create overlapping services with BCBN, as previously BCBN's schedule on the same days as VIA trains and even operated at almost the exact same schedule. VIA even decently fills in gaps in local services.

Here is a breakdown of long distance services available as of VIA Reinstating trains 5 & 6:

Jasper/Valemount → Prince George: VIA Rail Sunday BCBN Monday, Friday
Prince George → Jasper/Valemount: VIA Rail Thursday BVBN Monday, Friday

Prince George → Prince Rupert: VIA Rail Monday BCBN Thursday, Saturday
Prince Rupert → Prince George: VIA Rail Wednesday BCBN Friday, Sunday

BC Transit Local Long-Distance Services (Westbound)
Prince George → Burns Lake: Tu, Th, Sa
Burns Lake → Smithers: Mo, We, Fr
Smithers → Hazeltons: Mo, We, Fr 
Hazeltons → Terrace: Tu, Th, Sa

BC Transit Local Long-Distance Services (Eastbound)
Terrace → Hazeltons: Tu, Th, Sa
Hazeltons → Smithers: Mo, We, Fr
Smithers → Burns Lake: Mo, We, Fr

Burns Lake → Prince George: Tu, Th, Sa

VIA Rail's return to the area adds back in an extra day of backbone service each week, and is complemented locally by tons of other small services. All in all, in terms of backbone service, while the train isn't running every second day as it was before, passengers can now once again travel three times a week as they could before.

Edit: Please don't ask what happened to the formatting. I have no idea.

24 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

I'm surprised, quite frankly, that they are bothering to run the eastern portion of the schedule (Jasper-Prince Rupert). That part of the route, save for McBride nd a few small hamlets close to Prince George, is virtually devoid of settlements. The western portion of the route, on the other hand, I've always wondered why it doesn't have more service. BC Transit funds the awful BC Bus North service along the exact same route at a lower frequency and it seems to work, and on top of that, other than Prince Rupert-Terrace, you can do the entire route on scheduled local transit buses if you have enough time. It's probably the most transportation-diverse corridor in all of BC. It would make far more sense to be operating Prince Rupert-Prince George only. 

I'm actually pretty impressed that VIA was bright enough to not create overlapping services with BCBN, as previously BCBN's schedule on the same days as VIA trains and even operated at almost the exact same schedule. VIA even decently fills in gaps in local services.

VIA’s only maintenance facility along the line is in JASP. The operating days chosen are the only operating days which allow for a full lay-over day in PRUP (which avoids that a late arrival of train 5 delays the departure of train 6 the next morning) and two full days for maintenance in JASP:

Sunday: JASP-PGEO

Monday: PGEO-PRUP

Tuesday: Layover in PRUP

Wednesday: PRUP-PGEO

Thursday: PGEO-JASP

Friday and Saturday: maintenance in JASP

Edited by Urban Sky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

VIA’s only maintenance facility along the line is in JASP. The operating days chosen are the only operating days which allow for a full lay-over day in PRUP (which avoids that a late arrival of train 5 delays the departure of train 6 the next morning) and two full days for maintenance in JASP:

Sunday: JASP-PGEO

Monday: PGEO-PRUP

Tuesday: Layover in PRUP

Wednesday: PRUP-PGEO

Thursday: PGEO-JASP

Friday and Saturday: maintenance in JASP

Brilliant, that makes great sense. Thanks! I'm assuming that on the Jasper-PG-PR route, crews are "tied" to their consist for the round trip journey and based out of Jasper? Also, is VIA relocating technicians and service abilities to Jasper for the time being, or is Skeena equipment always serviced in Jasper?

13 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Brilliant, that makes great sense. Thanks! I'm assuming that on the Jasper-PG-PR route, crews are "tied" to their consist for the round trip journey and based out of Jasper? Also, is VIA relocating technicians and service abilities to Jasper for the time being, or is Skeena equipment always serviced in Jasper?

The equipment for the Skeena is serviced in Jasper, but all major maintenance is done in Vancouver...

• Like 2