Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 2/14/2020 at 11:04 PM, Urban Sky said:

I’m not sure where you would procure these seats for a 65 year old car from, but can we agree that the general sentiment here in this discussion is that the problems caused by the looming unavailability of the Haltern loop track don’t appear to be as insurmountable as certain news reports make them appear...?

Agreed.....not insurmountable at all.

And those flip-over reversible seats might not be too difficult to procure. You'd need 12 per Skyline Dome and METRA in Chicago is replacing that type ......

https://soul-amp.blogspot.com/2007/11/metra-train-reversible-chairs.html

......with new fixed seating. And you might not have to look any further than those old AMT-EXO xCP Vickers Double-Decks (Gallery)  sitting in Point St Charles......they had similar seating. The seats CP used in the Atlantic Skyline came from old commuter coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This blocade is having an impact on the economy. It doesn't seem like there is a resolution on the horizon. 

The one at the CN yard in Vaughan was disbanded, and so was the one on the Barrie line. I guess that the difference is that those areas don't border the reserve land (I understand that the entire country was taken from them).

At what point will dialogue not be enough? 

I don't agree with Andrew Sheer's position. Although the occupation is illegal they have the right to protest the fact that someone is building a pipleline on their land. 

Edit:From what I understand is the pipeline company and the Hereditary Cheifs came to an agreement without consulting the people. The Hereditary Cheifs are appointed officials, and not elected by the people. 

The court has approved an injunction in BC to remove the people protesting, and the people dont want the police on their land. 

Apparently re-routing the pipeline is not feasible. 

It's a tough situation on all sides. Hopefully they can come to some resolution.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 11:25 PM, Doppelkupplung said:

On J trains, does the loco of the second set ever assist with tractive effort, or is it just tagging along for the ride?

The MU and air connections are plugged in - it is providing tractive and braking effort as well.

 

Dan

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen the usual two car set to and from London pass by Guelph to Toronto. Possibly getting ready to reopen this part of the line as well. About time too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to freight service suspension, pretty much all the long-distance trains seem to be perfectly on time. If you ever wanted to take The Canadian on a day when it was on time, now is your only chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

Due to freight service suspension, pretty much all the long-distance trains seem to be perfectly on time. If you ever wanted to take The Canadian on a day when it was on time, now is your only chance.

Hard to take something that isn't running, don't you think?

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

The live map and the official VIA Rail tracker show the trains as underway.

Yes, and they're wrong. The Canadian hasn't run in several days. It's not expected to run for several more days still.

 

There were/are a very small handful of trains running today, but they're largely to get the equipment into place for tomorrow.

 

Dan

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this in my twitter feed.

The Ocean is set to resume service beginning Feb 28th.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Found this in my twitter feed.

The Ocean is set to resume service beginning Feb 28th.

 

 

I wonder if they had a chance to fix up the equipment while they where sitting idle? Do some preventative maintenance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

**Via Rail update**
The following routes are up and running (except for Via 14/15 )

Overview of service resumptions* 

Route

Service

Toronto- London-Windsor

In full service

Toronto-Sarnia

In full service

Toronto-Niagara Falls

In full service

Québec City-Montréal-Ottawa

In full service

The Ocean (Montréal-Halifax)

 

Full service to resume starting Friday, February 28

 

 

*This information is subject to change without notice.

The following routes are to be restored On or after Feb 28th

Overview of service cancellations* 

Route

Service

Cancelled until (inclusively) :

Toronto-Ottawa

Cancelled

February 28

Toronto-Montréal

Cancelled

February 28

Senneterre-Jonquière

Cancelled

February 28

Winnipeg-The Pas

Cancelled

March 2

Prince Rupert- Prince George-Jasper

Cancelled

March 2

The Canadian

Cancelled

March 2

*This information is subject to change without notice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

How is Windsor-London-Toronto operating if there are protestors at Bayview? Are they rerouting over the Guelph sub?

According to this tweet, only trains 97/98 (Maple Leaf) are potentially affected 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

According to this tweet, only trains 97/98 (Maple Leaf) are potentially affected  

Which would be all the VIA trains to Niagara Falls!

I suppose they could back it into Hamilton James Street, like they do with the GO Train from Niagara Falls, and then terminate it there ... but that would probably take too much thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Which would be all the VIA trains to Niagara Falls!

I suppose they could back it into Hamilton James Street, like they do with the GO Train from Niagara Falls, and then terminate it there ... but that would probably take too much thought.

If you can’t at least reach TMC, no sane Amtrak dispatcher will allow train 98 entering into Canada. Keep in mind that both platform tracks in Hamilton (West Harbour) station are used for laying over GO trains overnight, so good luck finding a layover facility...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Urban Sky said:

If you can’t at least reach TMC, no sane Amtrak dispatcher will allow train 98 entering into Canada. Keep in mind that both platform tracks in Hamilton (West Harbour) station are used for laying over GO trains overnight, so good luck finding a layover facility...

If the track is still blocked, then those two GO trains are still east of Hamilton somewhere! Then ran into Toronto on Monday morning and never returned!

But yes - academic.

Though VIA could run it's other Niagara services that way ... oh wait ... the Conservatives cancelled those runs ... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

Keep in mind that both platform tracks in Hamilton (West Harbour) station are used for laying over GO trains overnight, so good luck finding a layover facility...

Nitpick: this is no longer the case. All GO trains that run to West Harbour and beyond are stabled at the Lewis Road Layover facility every night.

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, smallspy said:

Nitpick: this is no longer the case. All GO trains that run to West Harbour and beyond are stabled at the Lewis Road Layover facility every night.

 

Dan

I thought that this was the reason why GO services to/from Niagara Falls don’t stop in West Harbour on weekends. Anyways, the longer runtime on weekdays (15 minutes more between Sainte-Catherines and Burlington, compared to weekends) suggests that West Harbour is accessible from NIAG only after a time-consuming change of direction, which raises the question of what benefit exactly terminating the train at West Harbour would achieve versus busing people out of Niagara Falls/ON right after clearing customs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

I thought that this was the reason why GO services to/from Niagara Falls don’t stop in West Harbour on weekends. Anyways, the longer runtime on weekdays (15 minutes more between Sainte-Catherines and Burlington, compared to weekends) suggests that West Harbour is accessible from NIAG only after a time-consuming change of direction, which raises the question of what benefit exactly terminating the train at West Harbour would achieve versus busing people out of Niagara Falls/ON right after clearing customs...

I'm sure that once the bridge is complete you wont need to make a backup move...which I thought was already complete...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

I thought that this was the reason why GO services to/from Niagara Falls don’t stop in West Harbour on weekends. Anyways, the longer runtime on weekdays (15 minutes more between Sainte-Catherines and Burlington, compared to weekends) suggests that West Harbour is accessible from NIAG only after a time-consuming change of direction, which raises the question of what benefit exactly terminating the train at West Harbour would achieve versus busing people out of Niagara Falls/ON right after clearing customs...

That is correct - there is only access into West Harbour directly from trains arriving from Toronto. That means that the one Niagara-based train must reverse to enter/exit the station, and that all of the trains that end service at West Harbour then have to back out of the station in order to continue towards the layover facility.

 

This is intended to only be temporary, but there doesn't seem to be any sure date that the tracks will be extended to the south-east, and thus allow for two-way operation through the station.


Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been about a year since Siemens was looking for suppliers for parts to build the new fleet. 

Has there been any news on prototype's or mockups? When are we expected to recieve prototype trainsets?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shaun said:

It has been about a year since Siemens was looking for suppliers for parts to build the new fleet. 

Has there been any news on prototype's or mockups? When are we expected to recieve prototype trainsets?  

As per the RFQ document (p.8):

The Applicant’s proposed master schedule will be evaluated based on the extent to which:

[...]

the first trainset will be available for winter corridor testing in or before October 2021; and 

• the first trainset will be available to begin revenue service at or before the end of second quarter of 2022 and the last trainset will be accepted in or before 2024.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...