Jump to content

VIA Rail Canada


Waiting for 30 Minutes
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 10/11/2018 at 12:10 PM, dbdb said:

From the news release:
 

Yeah, sounds like just a replacing end of life kitchen equipment and associated electrical, and installing a WiFi access point.

 

Replacing the kitchen in a diner is a pretty major endeavour, considering that it accounts for half of the volume and 3/4s of the weight of the vehicle.

 

Quote

The dining room and fixtures on the trips I've taken is still in great shape no need or value in replacing those.

A number of dining cars had already received a refurbishment. It is hoped that this will cover the remaining cars that had not had any major work done to them in about 20 years.

 

It should also be noted that this contract is costing VIA $4+mil per car. I hope that they end up getting good value for money, because that cost is starting to approach that of a brand-new car.

 

Dan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Shaun said:

If they where to build new cars, would they be consistent with the current Fleet? 

Or would they be more modern cars?

That would depend on what they ordered. The only new intercity cars currently on the market (such as the Amtrak Viewliner II) certainly look different when compared to the older Budd designs, but they could obviously be configured for compatibility with the existing fleet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some Churchill service numbers in this tweet:
 

Quote

Churchill washout: First seven months cost Via Rail $1.7M in revenue loss, but saved $1.2M in expenses. Passenger numbers were booming both years before May 2017 flooding


Article: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/churchill-washout-cost-via-17m-in-revenue-497578391.html

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, WMATAC40LF said:

That would depend on what they ordered. The only new intercity cars currently on the market (such as the Amtrak Viewliner II) certainly look different when compared to the older Budd designs, but they could obviously be configured for compatibility with the existing fleet.

We should expect an announcement of the winning bid in December. Also, if VIA have an ok from the government for the dedicated track, it should be in the same times.

Just a couple of month and we will know!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/15/2018 at 12:34 PM, FelixINX said:

We should expect an announcement of the winning bid in December. Also, if VIA have an ok from the government for the dedicated track, it should be in the same times.

Just a couple of month and we will know!

It would be nice if the dedicated track is approved, but I feel like the upgrades to the existing track that have already been done would go to waste. 

Not to mention all of the station upgrades, and what is to say that the next government elected into power will continue to fund it until it is built? 

Even with shovels in the ground, projects have been cancelled due to changes in Government.  

I don't know how popular it would be to cancel it, but Conservatives voted into power after a Liberal Government have a history of making deep cuts to public projects (Steven Harper, Mike Harris and Doug Ford).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2018 at 12:31 PM, Shaun said:

If they where to build new cars, would they be consistent with the current Fleet? 

Or would they be more modern cars?

CAF in NY just finished delivering Viewliner diners to Amtrak. Not the best run contract in the world, and Amtrak owns the design, but doable especially since the Mark II cars have relocated some vulnerable parts to the roof to make them more reliable in winter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been thinking of something lately and I want your opinion... The exo (RTM/AMT) MR-90 are going to be phased out of the Deux-Montagnes line, a bit next in 2020 and the rest in 2021. Currently, it's unclear if exo will take back the 58 cars or just scrap them.

Would it be a great fit for VIA network?

They were built between 1994-1995 so not too old and are currently being refurbished. They also have cab car wich would provide push-pull service. The interior are in good conditions but would require some refresh to fit VIA colors and maybe to add a galley and toilets. I think that attached to a locomotive, they could provide a great option for VIA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FelixINX said:

I have been thinking of something lately and I want your opinion... The exo (RTM/AMT) MR-90 are going to be phased out of the Deux-Montagnes line, a bit next in 2020 and the rest in 2021. Currently, it's unclear if exo will take back the 58 cars or just scrap them.

Would it be a great fit for VIA network?

They were built between 1994-1995 so not too old and are currently being refurbished. They also have cab car wich would provide push-pull service. The interior are in good conditions but would require some refresh to fit VIA colors and maybe to add a galley and toilets. I think that attached to a locomotive, they could provide a great option for VIA.

First of all, anyone who sees the MR-90 as a potential VIA Rail intercity carriage has to note that they were built as electric multiple units. This means they are self-propelled railcars with traction equipment fully integrated. Converting them to be hauled by locomotives (which for the technical folks is known as push-pull) would probably prove costly, especially since the cars are not meant for intercity travel. Ergonomics is also an issue when it comes to the current cramped cab car design - would the engineer be comfortable in there for two to three hours continuously compared to space in that of the locomotive?

That being said, I'm not ruling out MR-90 use on VIA, just that it is probably not a viable long-term solution compared to purchasing dedicated equipment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, FelixINX said:

I have been thinking of something lately and I want your opinion... The exo (RTM/AMT) MR-90 are going to be phased out of the Deux-Montagnes line, a bit next in 2020 and the rest in 2021. Currently, it's unclear if exo will take back the 58 cars or just scrap them.

Would it be a great fit for VIA network?

They were built between 1994-1995 so not too old and are currently being refurbished. They also have cab car wich would provide push-pull service. The interior are in good conditions but would require some refresh to fit VIA colors and maybe to add a galley and toilets. I think that attached to a locomotive, they could provide a great option for VIA.

 

Being built in 1994 means that they are 24 years old - and basically have completed their 25 to 30 year lifespan. They would therefore need fairly major work just to continue being used, nevermind being converted for VIA service.

 

Plus, VIA is currently in the midst of tendering for a new fleet of corridor equipment which will be bi-directional. It would negate the requirement for any dedicated cab cars.

 

10 hours ago, Transit geek said:

First of all, anyone who sees the MR-90 as a potential VIA Rail intercity carriage has to note that they were built as electric multiple units. This means they are self-propelled railcars with traction equipment fully integrated. Converting them to be hauled by locomotives (which for the technical folks is known as push-pull) would probably prove costly, especially since the cars are not meant for intercity travel. Ergonomics is also an issue when it comes to the current cramped cab car design - would the engineer be comfortable in there for two to three hours continuously compared to space in that of the locomotive?

That being said, I'm not ruling out MR-90 use on VIA, just that it is probably not a viable long-term solution compared to purchasing dedicated equipment.

 

The fact that they are currently self-propelled - and actually, only half of them are - is not a major factor preventing any conversion to any other use that doesn't require them to be powered. It is far easier to remove the propulsion equipment than it is to install it, and frankly there have been many, many, many instances of it being done in recent history. (Look up NJT's Comet 1Bs, the "Boise Budds", even GO's original DMUs.) And the fact that they are already installed with a standard 27-pin MU system will make the conversion easier, as that is one less thing that would have to be wired in.

 

No, what is preventing the MR90s being used by VIA is practicality and age, not the fact that half of them are motorized.

 

Dan

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even selling the MR-90s to the US is unlikely - transformers would need to have 25Hz cores or 12kV capable to work in NEC territory excepting MBTA (who have no electrics at present), and Denver would probably demur given the cost of adding PTC to a legacy vehicle. The ALP45s and MLVs are a different story when the Caisse kicks them off Deux Montagnes - NJT know how to get PTC into those.

Maybe GO should buy them and stick them in a shed somewhere as a hedge against converting one or more lines to mixed high and low platforms and needing interim stock that can access both. The door position means they are no good for UPX.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks @Transit geek @smallspy and @dowlingm for your toughts! I didn't think the age would be a big problem since exo started some big $$ work to refurbish the systems. I didn't think about GO as an option but as they want to electrify but if they do but overhead lines everwhere, they will also get a new fleet. For VIA I could see the unit being use in the corridor if the new fleet isn't enough or on some commuter operation (like in Halifax). On an operational basis, does RDC DMU are cheaper than EMU pulled by a locomotive?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, FelixINX said:

On an operational basis, does RDC DMU are cheaper than EMU pulled by a locomotive?

 

It used to be generally acknowledged that it was more efficient to run 3 RDCs than a loco and 3 coaches. That was based on the economics of the 1950s and 1960s, so I don't know if that still holds true today. Modern equipment is a lot more fuel-efficient than that of 60+ years ago.

 

Dan

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2018 at 8:44 AM, smallspy said:

 

It used to be generally acknowledged that it was more efficient to run 3 RDCs than a loco and 3 coaches. That was based on the economics of the 1950s and 1960s, so I don't know if that still holds true today. Modern equipment is a lot more fuel-efficient than that of 60+ years ago.

The calculus has changed on both fronts: locomotive engines have gotten more efficient (plus AC traction, separate HEP, gensets) but modern DMU consists can do stuff like shut down engines when not needed, plus stuff in the pipeline like MTU's hybrid powertrain. While North America is fixated on RDCs as the only usable DMU, the limitations of that platform will colour much thinking on DMU viability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

This was not announced very publicly: there will be a bus service between Gaspé and Campbellton this winter, just like last year. The service will run between December 19th and January 5th. Operated by the Régie intermunicipale de transport de la Gaspésie - îles-de-la-Madelaine (RÉGÎM).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, FelixINX said:

This was not announced very publicly: there will be a bus service between Gaspé and Campbellton this winter, just like last year. The service will run between December 19th and January 5th. Operated by the Régie intermunicipale de transport de la Gaspésie - îles-de-la-Madelaine (RÉGÎM).

Around here, there has been some media coverage and press relases : http://regim.info/voyage/via-navettes-au-train-via-rail/

What's interesting is that the RÉGÎM schedule follows somewhat closely the suspended VIA schedule... but not the fares, which are twice as expensive as the Orléans fares.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bessarion said:

Can anyone tell me which cabins in the renissance sleepers have showers in them? 

 

also which train trips on the ottawa-quebec city route operate renissance cars?

thanks

 

According to the diagrams on VIA Rail's website, Cabins 1-6 have showers, Cabins 7-10 don't.

You may find Renaissance equipment on any Quebec-Montreal-Ottawa(-Fallowfield) train which is shown in the timetable to offer Checked Baggage service...

18 minutes ago, FelixINX said:

The final schedule for the Canadian (summer 2019) is now out.

Except the Canadian, does anyone see other changes?

https://m.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/schedules/VIARail_Timetable.pdf

 

Screenshot_20181121-221550__01.jpg

To name six trains with changed timings: 52, 62, 67, 81, 635 and 647. Here the old timetable to compare...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/via-rail-train-partially-derails-in-halifax-no-one-injured-1.4191732
There was a derailment in Halifax today. Two cars where damaged. 

I wonder if they will need to take the whole ren Trainset out of commission until those two cars are repaired? Could they add two Budd cars at the end of the train to offset the two economy coaches that where damaged? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...