• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The car has been at NRC's Ottawa facility for the past several months, and was delivered there by rail. Now that construction has started in earnest on the Trillium Line upgrades, the line has been em

I unfortunately don't know what was written here, but just to highlight that the 1990 cuts were imposed by the federal government, here their budget speech of 1989 announcing that the government would

And now for the official word:   https://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/media-room/latest-news/50168/12-december-2018-via-rail-selects-siemens-canada-to https://www.viarail.ca/en/abou

Posted Images

11 hours ago, dev161 said:

Currently on Via 48 from Toronto to Ottawa , consisting of 1 P42 and 5 StainlessSteel Cars... didn’t realize how fast it runs 

96ABF865-D92A-455C-914F-7C5E93603296.png

100mph - 161km/h - is the speed limit in much of the Corridor, although that is also dependent on the equipment being used and any local speed restrictions.

Dan

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, smallspy said:

100mph - 161km/h - is the speed limit in much of the Corridor, although that is also dependent on the equipment being used and any local speed restrictions.

Dan

For HEPs, they are rated for 95mph ~ 153kph, right? Or is it the limitation of the F40? 

3 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

For HEPs, they are rated for 95mph ~ 153kph, right? Or is it the limitation of the F40? 

I can't find the file now, but I believe that the HEP1 cars are rated for 90mph, and the HEP2s for 100mph. All of the F40s were upgraded as part of the rebuilding, and are now allowed to do 95mph.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw this posted by Transport Action:

"New Long-distance equipment for via / new long-distance trains for via.
Minister garneau says there will be funding for some new long-distance passenger equipment (in addition to already new corridor fleet) for via rail Canada, according to radio Canada new TV. / minister garneau would have announced the financing of new rolling stock for via rail, according to src tv. This equipment would be in addition to trains for the central corridor already announced."

A link to the interview was not posted.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Allandale25 said:

Minister garneau says there will be funding for some new long-distance passenger equipment (in addition to already new corridor fleet) for via rail Canada, according to radio Canada new TV. / minister garneau would have announced the financing of new rolling stock for via rail, according to src tv. This equipment would be in addition to trains for the central corridor already announced."

It's getting harder and harder to take Transport Action seriously when they are so vastly wrong on these things.

Dan

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Allandale25 said:

here's the new railcars everyone (Narrator: they weren't new) https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-bombardier-lands-54-million-contract-to-upgrade-via-train-cars/?cmpid=rss&click=sf_globe

36 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

One wonders if VIA is going to finally bite the bullet and pad the schedule including the turnaround in Toronto and Vancouver.

Sadly this has been normal for the past few months.  It would be more newsworthy had the train been on time. 

I was on it a few weeks ago, 8 hours late into Saskatoon, the funny thing was the yard was so packed with waiting freights Via had to go around on the main line and back in to the station.  We lost about another 4-5 hours overnight somewhere between Melville and Winnipeg.  Into Winnipeg, apparently they were having problems with frozen switches and once again ended up going around the station on the main line and backed in.  After a quick crew change and restocking supplies in Winnipeg lost another half hour switching locomotives around and a further hour due to "freight congestion" ended up pulling out of the station 15 hours late.  After that we made good time, to Redditt when our locomotive crew timed out and we waited about a half hour for a new crew to be driven in.  We made good time after that only a couple of times did we have to wait more than a couple of minutes in a siding for a passing freight. .  I think we were almost 16 hours down at one point and ended up only 12.5 hours late into Toronto.   Only a couple of times did we have to wait more than a couple of minutes in a siding for a passing freight after Redditt the longest was about 40 minutes in Gogama for a couple of long freights. Highball signals most of the way.

Just like the article our service crew did a great job taking care of us.  They kept us informed, especially folks with connections in Toronto.  Ultimately I'd blame CN for all the delays except leaving Winnipeg where we wasted time switching on an extra locomotive, that probably could have mostly been taken care of while the train was being serviced before passengers were re-boarded.

$54 Million to rebuild 17 cars? I understand things are expensive these days, but I wonder if they could've got a better deal from someone else.

I also wonder how the costs of this rebuild would compare to the costs of buying new equipment like Amtrak Viewliner IIs? (especially over the long term)

10 hours ago, WMATAC40LF said:

$54 Million to rebuild 17 cars? I understand things are expensive these days, but I wonder if they could've got a better deal from someone else.

I also wonder how the costs of this rebuild would compare to the costs of buying new equipment like Amtrak Viewliner IIs? (especially over the long term)

$54mil over 17 cars is $3.18mil per car. That's certainly approaching the cost of a brand-new long-distance car, or well more than a very-well appointed commuter car. I don't know if there was a better deal to be had, but until we hear more details about the project I'm going to remain pretty skeptical about well-thought out this is.

Dan

• Like 1
6 hours ago, smallspy said:

$54mil over 17 cars is $3.18mil per car. That's certainly approaching the cost of a brand-new long-distance car, or well more than a very-well appointed commuter car. I don't know if there was a better deal to be had, but until we hear more details about the project I'm going to remain pretty skeptical about well-thought out this is.

Dan

For comparison, albeit U.S. dollars, Amtrak is paying $371 million for 137 brand new cars from the Siemens which works out to US$2.71/car.   At $3.18 million/car the business case for rebuild is weak unless the intent is to make the all vintage stainless steel flagship train The Canadian accessible.

8 hours ago, dbdb said:

For comparison, albeit U.S. dollars, Amtrak is paying $371 million for 137 brand new cars from the Siemens which works out to US$2.71/car.   At $3.18 million/car the business case for rebuild is weak unless the intent is to make the all vintage stainless steel flagship train The Canadian accessible.

That whole cost comparison seems pretty fried in my opinion. I mean I understand there's a historic value behind the HEPs on the Canadian, but you can only keep them going for so long. The Ocean has the Renns running on it and I don't hear anyone complaining about that (mechanical issues aside). 

I completely agree with Dan though; until we learn more about this, I'm gonna be a bit skeptical.