Waiting for 30 Minutes

VIA Rail Canada

2,313 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

They will sell out at the higher price point

But would they be sold out for the entire length of the trip? I'd be surprised if there wasn't space in the sleepers east of Edmonton. Of course, I'm assuming that VIA does have the ability to properly clean the sleepers between Vancouver and Toronto when I'm saying this.

It appears Virgin Mobile Canada had a Lrc car wrapped for the #JUNOEXPRESS train

In the meantime by having 2 locomotives on some of these trains improve reliability and eliminate the need to wye the train improves the trains on time performance, it will put a lot of extra miles on the locomotives. Will this have an effect in the long run requiring more maintenance? Or possible early retirement of the fleet? 

I'm really concerned about the HEP II fleet and it's interior, since they are already worn out as it is. I think they should at least replace the seats since they are going to be around for 5+ years. 

9 hours ago, Shaun said:

In the meantime by having 2 locomotives on some of these trains improve reliability and eliminate the need to wye the train improves the trains on time performance, it will put a lot of extra miles on the locomotives. Will this have an effect in the long run requiring more maintenance? Or possible early retirement of the fleet? 

The F40s are probably good for another 10 years or so, but I'm not sure about those P42s. They were overhauled around 2010 to 2011 iirc and they received a new alternator, engine upgrades, and a few less essential features. Amtrak runs many of their P42s all day on LD trains, and they haven't really moved toward any replacement (they have options for LD Siemens units, but the current government would never pay for them). 

Although I hope they don't intend to run the P42s into the ground, one has to wonder how much longer they plan to keep these things. Provided there are no major delays in the new equipment procurement, they should have less than 9 years of service left. Double engined trains will certainly reduce the effects of breakdowns, but it can't fully compensate for a less reliable Genesis fleet, if that's the direction VIA's heading for.

On 3/5/2017 at 7:01 PM, Viafreak said:

904, 905, 907, 908 and 916 are done already in Canada 150. 902, 903, 915 and 917 are green P42's so they might not receive the wrap. 901 is still being repaired. 

You can add 906 to your list.

Unsure of the Train # but that's the Qc -> Fallowfeild (Ottawa) train.

IMG_3302.JPG

1 person likes this

I wonder if it would make a difference for Ontime performance if they changed the Canadian to operate beyond Edmonton to Jasper,Prince George then Vancouver on the Old BC Rail line! Then Just operate the Skeena from Prince George to Prince Rupert. It seems that the Jasper to Vancouver portion is one of the worst legs on that corridor.

5 hours ago, roeco said:

It seems that the Jasper to Vancouver portion is one of the worst legs on that corridor.

I've always found this portion of the route was where we would make up the time. Once the train is beyond Ashcroft....it's in directional running territory: all westbounds (VIA CN & CP) are on CN and all eastbounds are on CP so there's little opposing traffic.

yeah i guess when u get the to the line past Ashcroft ,but is it not bad be4 cause i took it twice and both times we lost time between Jasper and Kamloops.

I can't say I watch #1 all the time, but, lately it's been nice and late into Edmonton anytime I've checked. I was actually watching it the last day or so and it was on time into Winnipeg and then proceeded to lose about 3 hours to Saskatoon and another 3 hours to Edmonton. Arrived in Edmonton 6hr 19m late. The 2 other days I've checked it out I believe it's been 4-5 hours late. 

DSC08770.jpg
East Jct. Edmonton.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

I can't say I watch #1 all the time, but, lately it's been nice and late into Edmonton anytime I've checked. I was actually watching it the last day or so and it was on time into Winnipeg and then proceeded to lose about 3 hours to Saskatoon and another 3 hours to Edmonton. Arrived in Edmonton 6hr 19m late. The 2 other days I've checked it out I believe it's been 4-5 hours late. 

DSC08770.jpg
East Jct. Edmonton.

Why does Via have a RMR double deck car on it? 

Apparently it was repainted down East and VIA was shipping it back.

9 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Apparently it was repainted down East and VIA was shipping it back.

Ontario Northland shops in North Bay has the contract

14 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

DSC08770.jpg
East Jct. Edmonton.

We took the #1 arriving in Edmonton last Friday, and despite leaving Toronto an hour late the train was consistently early until a couple of hours east of Edmonton - where we then proceeded to lose so much time as to arrive in Edmonton an hour late.

Dan