Waiting for 30 Minutes

VIA Rail Canada

2,272 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Viafreak said:

The domes are going to the states for the winter according to the Canadian Passenger Train Enthusiasts group on Facebook.

The thing is, the group mentioned that 3 were leased while it looks like 4 will be shipped out together.

26 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

8512 for starters.

My understanding is that none of the rebuilt Skylines are going. 8512 is one of the none refurbished Skylines and was the Economy Activity car on the train I was on in May. 8500, 8507, 8509 and 8517 are refurbished.

On 2016-11-07 at 6:22 AM, ghYHZ said:

Please elaborate.......where are they going?

WSOR from what I know.

Also, the mobile VIA tracker is back up.

Just a hot tip for those east of Oshawa, train 668 tonight is taking the 3 RDC's that VIA was testing out of Toronto to Montreal.

DSC07416.jpg
Switching Banff Park onto VIA 1.

DSC07496.jpgDSC07497.jpg
Off to Vancouver.

3 people like this

I wonder if they are being sent to Montreal to have work done to make them work on the Chatham sub. 

I wonder if they are being sent to Montreal to have work done to make them work on the Chatham sub. 

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

I think they are just going for storage and winter maintenance. Besides, they would salvage what they can from the ones in TMC and look elsewhere for more for service on the Chatham sub. since one of them is an RDC-4.

Why would they put rebuild units in storage and put RDC's that have been sitting in storage for 10+ years in service? That doesn't make any sense. 

They tested those units on the Chatham sub to see if there would be any problems with crossings, and signalling.  It may have taken a few months to gather and analyze that data to make the right modifications to put them into service. 

DSC08310.jpgDSC08330.jpg
6408 leading a VIA #1, first crossing the bridge over the Pembina River between Entwistle and Evansburg, and then a few miles down the track at Highway 22 after passing Q119. The train was 6 hours late at this point, and it had been an interesting chase... we thought we were far enough ahead of it at Spruce Grove to have lunch, only to watch it cruise by while we were eating. An "impassible" stretch track was holding up all over train except for #1 and intermodals who crawled through at 10 MPH near Carvel, so, we thought we'd catch it there. Found a spot, only to find it had already passed through, however, a hotbox said it was only 4 miles ahead of us. It took us from Duffield to Evansburg to catch up and then we barely got to Highway 22. The jist of it though... With everything that happened, when we caught up with it at of all places, on the bridge. Shot from the moving truck, but, still a nice coincidence

15-DSC00037.jpgDSC05274.jpgDSC05323.jpgDSC05325.jpg
And from the archives... 6135 back in October 2007.

DSC06262.jpgDSC06270.jpg
Vancouver Maintenance Centre. My only shots of a real, live VIA F unit of any sort and a Spiderman unit. 

DSC06913.jpg
6148 in Vancouver

DSC07330.jpgDSC07331.jpgDSC07336.jpg
Heading back home, VIA #1 in Jasper. While we didn't shot the train leaving, it looks like it was heading to Vancouver with 4 locomotives, one of which was picked up in Jasper. 

While Edmonton does see the Canadian, I certainly didn't get out to shoot it often. I think over a few days on this October/ November 2007 trip I shot more VIA than in the previous few years.

1 person likes this

You couldn't replicate those old pictures today. All the F40-2's are rebuilt. 6300 is retired. The RDC's are in storage and 6444 is scrapped.

Did anyone figure out why the RDC's that were being tested on the Chatham sub got sent to MMC?  Any progress on a commuter service from Stratford to Toronto? It was supposed to be in place by the end of 2016. 

On 2016-12-24 at 9:13 PM, Shaun said:

Did anyone figure out why the RDC's that were being tested on the Chatham sub got sent to MMC? 

Where else are they supposed to be sent?

Dan

23 hours ago, smallspy said:

Where else are they supposed to be sent?

Dan

Can't TMC service them?

37 minutes ago, dowlingm said:

Can't TMC service them?

It's not an issue of servicing them - they are stored when they aren't being used for testing.

Dan

Does any Canadian still operate without a Prestige Park Car?

13 hours ago, Swadian said:

Does any Canadian still operate without a Prestige Park Car?

There may be the odd departure that has to leave with without one due to servicing or maintenance, but I haven't heard of that happening since the launch of the service. All trainsets have at least one Prestige Chateau and a Prestige Park Car.

Dan

5 hours ago, smallspy said:

There may be the odd departure that has to leave with without one due to servicing or maintenance, but I haven't heard of that happening since the launch of the service. All trainsets have at least one Prestige Chateau and a Prestige Park Car.

Dan

I really wish they would keep some trains with the refurbished orange-interior Park Cars. I prefer riding in those.