VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

• 2 weeks later...
If i buy a VIA Canada pass i can travel anywhere in the country for a period of 12 days without restrictions? I can double back or go in the opposite direction?

Will i have access to the dome cars? Can i upgrade to have access to the dome cars?

if i remember correctly the canada pass is set for economy class ( you will have access to the skyline car but not the park car ) You can upgrade to sleeper class if you wish to vist the Park Car

Full info can be found here

if i remember correctly the canada pass is set for economy class ( you will have access to the skyline car but not the park car ) You can upgrade to sleeper class if you wish to vist the Park Car

Full info can be found here

It's very general...which is why i wanted to ask. Are there any conditions? You have to get back on where you go off? Must travel in one direction? Cant back track?

Or you can do whatever you want and eat your heart out for 12 days?

It's very general...which is why i wanted to ask. Are there any conditions? You have to get back on where you go off? Must travel in one direction? Cant back track?

Or you can do whatever you want and eat your heart out for 12 days?

From what i read in Conditions of use you can make as many stops as u like for 12 days out of a Calender month.

You can add up to 3 extra days of travel (15 days Max) if you need more time

there's no mention of backtracking. that i can see

Your best bet is contacting via for more info not found online

hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
In some cases, multi-million dollar projects are already underway to rebuild platforms, repair roofs or upgrade heating systems in such locations as Vancouver, Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Halifax. Other cities such as Montreal, Windsor, Oshawa, near Toronto, and Smiths Falls, near Ottawa, are slated to have a brand new station in their region.
Smiths falls doesn't need a new stn

the current stn is perfect for the passenger flow that the town sees maybe a updated platform/lighting would be a better plan for this stn

• 1 month later...
it goes backwards all the way to oshawa by itself?? it doesnt get connected to a eastbound trainset?

If that is in fact train #71, what usually happens is that the trainset for that days #85 (cleaned and prepared, but still pointing east from the previous night's #88) is attached to the end of it, and pulls it east to Oshawa. Once the train arrives at Union, the train is broken up and the trainset for #85 heads to TMC where it is then wyed, and #71 continues on its way to Windsor.

Dan

If that is in fact train #71, what usually happens is that the trainset for that days #85 (cleaned and prepared, but still pointing east from the previous night's #88) is attached to the end of it, and pulls it east to Oshawa. Once the train arrives at Union, the train is broken up and the trainset for #85 heads to TMC where it is then wyed, and #71 continues on its way to Windsor.

Dan

Really ? I thought they'd take 85's equipment to Bayview, wye it, then operate it as VIA 740 to Union Station where passengers make cross-platform connections to train 40/52. Crew takes 85's (ex-740) equipment to Mimico and wye it then bring it back to Union for 85's normal departure.

Really ? I thought they'd take 85's equipment to Bayview, wye it, then operate it as VIA 740 to Union Station where passengers make cross-platform connections to train 40/52. Crew takes 85's (ex-740) equipment to Mimico and wye it then bring it back to Union for 85's normal departure.

Riiiight......I forgot about #740.

My explanation was from before they started to run #740. I guess I have no idea what they do now then.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
I am just posting my odd sighting from today.

8109, and 8132 were in Train #60, I rode on 8109, from Toronto to Montreal.

Yea that normally happens during the holidays as there is increased demand so they take cars from wherever they can. Wish I had known I would have gone to photograph them.

BTW are my eyes decieving me? Is the latest F40 rebuild missing its rear hump, as seen in CRO?

Yea that normally happens during the holidays as there is increased demand so they take cars from wherever they can. Wish I had known I would have gone to photograph them.

Both of the trainsets used on 57/60/72/75 had two HEP1 cars this past weekend, and both were at least 9 cars long. I guess it was a good weekend for VIA.

BTW are my eyes decieving me? Is the latest F40 rebuild missing its rear hump, as seen in CRO?

Nope, it's still there. It just happens that it's not as obvious from a straight-on side shot.

Dan

Why does it take 4 hours? When it's only about 200 km's.

Northlander bus is faster but more expensive.

It`s to allow them sufficient time for unexpected delays along the route (fuel stops, freight trains, track or switch problems, etc....) For example if they are 45 minutes late arriving at one place, they`ve got lots of time along the route to catch up.

But I know what you mean. Sudbury to Toronto is an 8 hour trip. You`ve got time to do a round trip by bus or car in that amount of time!!!