VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 12:56 PM, Shaun said:

The beds in berths are quite comfortable. 

But a bedroom is more private.

Was just on #1 and I'll echo they're comfortable and spacious (for a train).  I had an upper on this trip and a lower on a previous trip.  Upper has no window to watch the scenery go by if that matters.  During the day the space is 2 bench seats that could seat 4, in the evening usually during the last seating for dinner the porter will lower the upper berths and set up the lower as beds.   The berths have heavy curtains that close with 4 snaps, I find them sufficiently private to sleep.

The single rooms use a heavy curtain to close off the room while the doubles have actual doors.

I was describing the stainless steel Manor and Chateau cars.  I haven't been in sleeper class on a train with Renaissance equipment.

The Manors have both doors and curtains for the single bedrooms. The curtain goes over the door on the outside of the bedroom facing the hallway,  When the Prestige Chateaus were rebuilt, a single bedroom was retained for the concierge. Not sure the setup for the single bedrooms on the Chateaus. 

This new corridor fleet is intended to replace the LRC and HEP II cars.  Does this include the REN cars as well? 

With these HEP II cars going through an overhaul can they be reassigned to other areas?  It would be a shame to retire them when they are all fixed up. 

Same goes with the rebuit LRC cars, could they be reassigned to expand service in Quebec or Eastern Canada?

Two pieces of trivia stuck out for me in Via’s review of the past quarter.

https://media.viarail.ca/en/press-releases/2019/03-june-2019-q1-ridership-revenue-continue-to-grow

1) Two of the three appointees to Via’s board come from communities not served by it (Regina and Calgary).

2) Via Rail has its own police service. I must have been living under a rock but this is news to me!

On 6/1/2019 at 4:38 PM, Viafreak said:

Not sure the setup for the single bedrooms on the Chateaus. 

Same as on the Manors. The idea was that a passenger shouldn't be able to tell which type of car he or she was riding, and so the spaces could be sold as the same regardless of where they're located.

Dan

Except that non-Prestige Chateaus have 8 single bedrooms versus 4 in the Manors. The bedrooms are staggered in the Chateaus creating the second floor windows. The Prestige cars have kept one single bedroom for the concierge attendant which has been redone like the Manor single bedrooms. Also they have the second floor window openings plated over.

13 hours ago, Viafreak said:

Except that non-Prestige Chateaus have 8 single bedrooms versus 4 in the Manors.

That's not what you asked, nor what I answered. CP ordered those particular car styles because those were what were popular during that time. Why do you think that the Chateaus have a drawing room, but the Manors don't?

For the record CN, when spec'ing their Pullman-Standard fleet, did so in a very similar manner with similar car configurations. (In fact, the configuration of their E-series sleepers are within inches of the Chateaus, and the two car styles were used interchangeably until the blue and yellow fleet was retired in the early 1990s.)

13 hours ago, Viafreak said:

The bedrooms are staggered in the Chateaus creating the second floor windows.

That was to allow the maximum number of rooms into the equipment. Horizontal space is as a premium, but there was vertical space available to be used.

In the Manors, staggering the rooms would not have resulted in allowing for any more room because of how they were configured.

Dan

On 6/4/2019 at 11:45 PM, downbeat said:

2) Via Rail has its own police service. I must have been living under a rock but this is news to me!

They're relatively new (formed in 2014), small, and I believe only operate in Toronto and Montreal. My understanding is their activities are focused on investigations and intelligence gathering as opposed to a "street level," visible police presence. Think of them as corporate security with peace officer powers.

This is what the shoulder flash looks like.

image.thumb.png.5989af9e61a46ab7ae1ec9dd8ad7d232.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Shaun said:

Since the HEP cars don't have MU cables does this mean that the second unit is DIT providing HEP to the coaches?

Both units provide HEP. Each unit provides HEP to each side of every car in the consist. One car may have the first unit provide the left side and another car have the left side HEP provided by the second unit. The HEP 1 fleet (8100~8718) doesn't have MU cables however the HEP 2 fleet (4000 and 4100 series) does.

• 2 weeks later...

$71 million for Via’s HFR plan from the federal infrastructure bank *and other sources*.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-canada-infrastructure-bank-gives-via-rail-71-million-for-work-on-high/

At the time of this post, the story makes a tangential reference to Via somehow using the REM infrastructure in Montreal, with no explanation of how this would be possible. Perhaps a future update to the article will provide more detail. 

*Updated version of story indicates some of the money is to go toward track work so Via Rail and REM can share the Mount Royal tunnel. No granular details, as would be expected in a general interest news article. Does anyone on the board have any clues about how this could be accomplished, seeing how REM work is somewhat advanced already?*

• Like 1

The Prime Minister asked the infrastructure bank to expedite the process, so even if it's just to win over votes for the election, it's something.

The house is not sitting until after the election so, this will all depend on who gets elected in October. 

If Andrew sheer is anything like Doug Ford, it's not looking good for Canada. 

13 hours ago, Thomasw said:

According to my reservation it said I’ll be on train 84 from Kitchener to Toronto then I’ll be on train 42 from Kitchener to Ottawa

If your trip is on a Monday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday, you will be riding a HEP train on both segments (same consist, in fact).

If your trip is on a Tuesday, 84 will be a HEP train, and 42 will be an LRC.

On Wednesdays and Fridays, the same LRC trainset will operate as 84 and 42.

As for power, that is far more variable and harder to determine. There are very, very few trains that must be operated with only one locomotive type.

Dan

On 6/27/2019 at 2:21 PM, smallspy said:

Well, other than the $1Bil they spent on new equipment....

Dan

To replace equipment long ago determined to be obsolete and in questionable condition...

Useless government sure dragged their feet on this one too.

5 hours ago, 2281 said:

To replace equipment long ago determined to be obsolete and in questionable condition...

They could have just given money for new cars (one-for-one replacement) and simply opt for a rebuilt for the P42s. Instead, they thankfully opted for entire trainsets...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 2281 said:

They could have dragged their feet even longer to postpone the purchase to a point where VIA would have had to curtail service because the current equipment could no longer cope - or even not bought new equipment at all.

Dan

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 2:28 PM, 2281 said:

Do you feel that another Government in power would do a better job?