VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

44 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I wonder if VIA Rail offers something equivalent to fifth freedom rights in airline routes (or whatever that is)?

I'm dreaming of trying out the VIA Rail train (from Oshawa) to Toronto's Union Station in the future (owning to the fact that one of the GO Train lines (in this case Lakeshore East) will be temporarily shortened to Danforth due to construction during the first weekend of April (during which the VIA Rail trains will travel to a different route to get around the area).

York sub to Doncaster South on Bala to Union.

43 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I wonder if VIA Rail offers something equivalent to fifth freedom rights in airline routes (or whatever that is)?

I'm dreaming of trying out the VIA Rail train (from Oshawa) to Toronto's Union Station in the future (owning to the fact that one of the GO Train lines (in this case Lakeshore East) will be temporarily shortened to Danforth due to construction during the first weekend of April (during which the VIA Rail trains will travel to a different route to get around the area).

VIA does restrict some travel within "local" zones; for example, trips between Guildwood and Toronto Union are not permitted, and neither is Fallowfield-Ottawa. But it appears that you are allowed to book between Toronto and Oshawa, and the same goes for Toronto-Oakville-Aldershot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Articulated said:

VIA does restrict some travel within "local" zones; for example, trips between Guildwood and Toronto Union are not permitted, and neither is Fallowfield-Ottawa. But it appears that you are allowed to book between Toronto and Oshawa, and the same goes for Toronto-Oakville-Aldershot.

More of this should be allowed to allow for faster travel times. 

What needs to happen is to make train stations a hub for development.  

Kingston for example has a huge parking lot that nobody uses. Build a plaza and some condos on that property. Collect the investment money from the developer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shaun said:

More of this should be allowed to allow for faster travel times. 

What needs to happen is to make train stations a hub for development.  

Kingston for example has a huge parking lot that nobody uses. Build a plaza and some condos on that property. Collect the investment money from the developer.

VIA is intended as a long-distance intercity rail carrier, not to provide local service. It is not very efficient or cost-effective if most of its seats departing Toronto get loaded up with passengers only going to Oshawa, then a half-full train continues east of there. Also, the more "local" travellers it serves, the longer it takes to serve these station stops, which makes the ride longer for the intercity travelers (possibly encouraging them to drive). It's like the old saying "jack of all trades, master of none" - if you try to have one service do everything, it will end up doing none of those roles well.

Leave the long-distance trains to the long-distance travelers.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Articulated said:

VIA is intended as a long-distance intercity rail carrier, not to provide local service. It is not very efficient or cost-effective if most of its seats departing Toronto get loaded up with passengers only going to Oshawa, then a half-full train continues east of there. Also, the more "local" travellers it serves, the longer it takes to serve these station stops, which makes the ride longer for the intercity travelers (possibly encouraging them to drive). It's like the old saying "jack of all trades, master of none" - if you try to have one service do everything, it will end up doing none of those roles well.

Leave the long-distance trains to the long-distance travelers.

I don't know the ratio of customers who get off at Oshawa/Aldershot or Oakville but if you loose 20% at those stops on your way to Toronto then what is the problem with selling those seats to new customers who want to get on at Oshawa/Aldershot/Oakville to get to Toronto? It's extra revenue. Also passengers who travel from those destinations to other destinations you can fill empty seats from Union to those destinations.

What's the problem?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

I don't know the ratio of customers who get off at Oshawa/Aldershot or Oakville but if you loose 20% at those stops on your way to Toronto then what is the problem with selling those seats to new customers who want to get on at Oshawa/Aldershot/Oakville to get to Toronto? It's extra revenue. Also passengers who travel from those destinations to other destinations you can fill empty seats from Union to those destinations.

What's the problem?

There is no problem. VIA already regulates through its booking system how many passengers it accepts between Toronto and Oshawa and at what price. However, its capacity is only a tiny fraction of that of GO and therefore its capability to accommodate a significant share of GO‘s regular ridership is very constrained. That’s why VIA won‘t reduce its fares to lure hoards of GO commuters into its trains…

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

There is no problem. VIA already regulates through its booking system how many passengers it accepts between Toronto and Oshawa and at what price. However, its capacity is only a tiny fraction of that of GO and therefore its capability to accommodate a significant share of GO‘s regular ridership is very constrained. That’s why VIA won‘t reduce its fares to lure hoards of GO commuters into its trains…

I wasn't insisting that they should have cheaper fares. However didn't they have commuter passes before COVID?

29 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I wasn't insisting that they should have cheaper fares. However didn't they have commuter passes before COVID?

At one point yes. However Pre Presto, There was a pass one could get (iirc for GO Monthly pass holders ) Where one could get a seat on a Via train between Toronto/Oshawa (limited seats/depertures.) 

• Thanks 1

We'te taking our first long trip on the Canadian next Friday, from Toronto to Vancouver.  I would appreciate any tips or suggestion's from veteran rider's.  we are in a 'cabin for two'.

Speaking of tips, what would be an appropriate amount to the attendant and waiter?

10 hours ago, traildriver said:

We'te taking our first long trip on the Canadian next Friday, from Toronto to Vancouver.  I would appreciate any tips or suggestion's from veteran rider's.  we are in a 'cabin for two'.

Speaking of tips, what would be an appropriate amount to the attendant and waiter?

I personally never been on the Canadian myself as I had yet to ride on one, but - while giving tips may be appropriate, there may be sometimes that attendants/waiters may refuse to accept tips from customers - owning to the fact that they may be working for a state-owned enterprise (or maybe considered - public servants).

Long story short, if the attendant refuses to say no to tipping, then you must obey their advice. Just my thought.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, T3G said:

I can't imagine why anyone would willingly say no to tips.

Many jobs have rules in place that prevent employees from accepting monetary or other contributions from customers. In my line of work, they'd normally be classified as a bribe.

• Thanks 1

I know, but VIA isn't one of them (which I find shocking - pleasantly so, but shocking nonetheless).

On trains, you are free to tip your server in the dining car and the individual responsible for your room or berth in the sleeper car. Do remember, however, that the crew will change several times on long journeys.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/plan/international-travellers/useful-tips#:~:text=On trains%2C you are free,several times on long journeys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, T3G said:

I know, but VIA isn't one of them (which I find shocking - pleasantly so, but shocking nonetheless).

https://www.viarail.ca/en/plan/international-travellers/useful-tips#:~:text=On trains%2C you are free,several times on long journeys.

I’ve seen several via rail employees accept tips on the corridor trains I’ve been on as well, usually given by older people who need help getting their bags or getting up/down the steps at their station

• Like 2

Tips are not expected (as VIA pays living wages), but appreciated (and as a matter of respect, I would always tip in the local currency, i.e. CAD). On-train staff doesn’t change “multiple times”, but once on the Canadian (in Winnipeg) and never on all other other VIA trains. LE crews change of course much more often (nine times on the Canadian, IIRC), but I’ve certainly never seen anyone tipping them…

• Like 3

VIA service staff on the Canadian will accept tips. It's certainly not required and the crews aren't living off tips like other areas of the service sector, but if you've had good service or someone went out of their way to help you or make your experience memorable, a small tip is a nice way of saying 'thank you.'  For the Canadian, I've tipped $20 to the dining car crew for each Vancouver-Winnipeg, Winnipeg-Toronto leg.  Whoever you give it to puts it in a pool so all the staff in the dining car share the tips.  $5/night tip to your porter if you're getting turndown service is also pretty customary. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

New rolling stock for Via-Rail outside the Quebec City-Windsor corridor is planned in the 2024 federal budget. No cost estimate was provided to protect the negotiating position of putting the large scale order to tender. 

Page 256 of the budget document. 

Final comments:

It is long overdue considering some cars are several decades old and trying to keep them in-service is difficult needing to make parts since they are not easily obtainable. If no decision is made to procure new rolling stock, service cuts would have to be made for dwindling rolling stock. 

Attached the news report mentioning the challenges of running rolling stock that is several decades old. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Several decades old...more like over half a century old.

Indeed, 40 years is a normal lifespan for rail rolling stock in Europe. Transport Canada has apparently decided that it won‘t tolerate the HEP-I fleet in service beyond the year 2035, when they would be twice that age (having originally entered service in 1955)…

• Like 2