VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

On 8/27/2019 at 10:31 PM, M. Parsons said:

6133 was heading east on the tail end of the Canadian

I can't imagine the people in the Park Car who paid big bucks for the view out the back were all too pleased by staring at the smiling face of an RDC all the way across the country. For those of you who are interested in the interior of the Renaissance Service Transition car, I took a few photos while out on my way to Halifax this summer. Here is the interior.

450px-Interior_of_Renaissance_Transition

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

I can't imagine the people in the Park Car who paid big bucks for the view out the back were all too pleased by staring at the smiling face of an RDC all the way across the country.

Would be harder if Canadian had (as it should have in my view) Superliner/Rocky type rolling stock with a view out the rear upper deck of the last car. Less problem seeing over a trailer then :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

For those of you who are interested in the interior of the Renaissance Service car, I took a few photos while out on my way to Halifax this summer. Here is the interior.

450px-Interior_of_Renaissance_Transition

This looks more like a Baggage Transition car (i.e. the last Renaissance car before the HEP cars) than a Service car (i.e. the cars sandwiching the diner car or - on Corridor consists - separating the Business car from the Economy cars) to me...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

Definitely not baggage. There is no baggage-cart level accessible door and no bagage racks or cages within the car, and it was clearly laid out for passenger through-access as there was decor on the walls. This separated the HEP from the REN on the extensively mixed-consist train. I could be wrong though, but it did not appear to be in any way intended for baggage use. So yes, it's a transition, but has nothing to do with baggage other than its history.

Edit: I guess I understand my confusions - the name baggage transition comes from their original purpose, I suppose, while service cars are very much not like this at all. I made a mistake, my apologies!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, InfiNorth said:

Definitely not baggage. There is no baggage-cart level accessible door and no bagage racks or cages within the car, and it was clearly laid out for passenger through-access as there was decor on the walls. This separated the HEP from the REN on the extensively mixed-consist train. I could be wrong though, but it did not appear to be in any way intended for baggage use. So yes, it's a transition, but has nothing to do with baggage other than its history.

Edit: I guess I understand my confusions - the name baggage transition comes from their original purpose, I suppose, while service cars are very much not like this at all. I made a mistake, my apologies!

No worries (and you actually acknowledged your error before I even saw your post), its name is certainly not intuitive, just like the concept of having a basically empty car somewhere in the consist...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Urban Sky said:

No worries (and you actually acknowledged your error before I even saw your post), its name is certainly not intuitive, just like the concept of having a basically empty car somewhere in the consist...

If they where going to keep the Ren Rolling Stock around for a while, would it be worth it to make the HEP generator smaller and make better use of the empty car by adding seats?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shaun said:

If they where going to keep the Ren Rolling Stock around for a while, would it be worth it to make the HEP generator smaller and make better use of the empty car by adding seats?

This sounds like a major rebuild, which presumably provides low value for the taxpayer, given the very limited remaining economic life of that fleet...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or the Amtrak thread, but I was leaning towards this thread:

This morning at Union, I saw VIA train #97 was replaced by a bus. While I was not travelling on that train today, does anyone know the reason for this replacement and how much of the route is bussed?

29 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or the Amtrak thread, but I was leaning towards this thread:

This morning at Union, I saw VIA train #97 was replaced by a bus. While I was not travelling on that train today, does anyone know the reason for this replacement and how much of the route is bussed?

Only VIA's #97 is bustituted, so this thread is appropriate.

I can't seem to find the notices for it anymore, but there is currently work ongoing on the Whirlpool Bridge which prevents any train traffic. I believe that this will be completed by early November, but again, I'm going by memory here.

Amtrak is running trains right to the Niagara Falls NY station, but VIA is bustituting their leg of the trip.

Dan

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WMATAC40LF said:

I never saw any clear notices about the Maple Leaf online, but the Amtrak website suggested the bus bridge would be happening from September 9th to November 1st. 

Does anyone know more details about the bridge work?

My guess is they are replaceing the rails on the bridge deck and or other related maintenance to the bridge (Nexas/Customs plaza)

Effective September 9 - November 1, 2019
Beginning Monday, September 9, a major infrastructure project will begin on the Whirlpool Bridge, connecting the United States to Canada at Niagara Falls
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Shaun said:

They did accept credit cards, but the attendant needs to manually authorize it. I guess now they will have machines that make it easier. 

Well, paper and pen for a transaction is not really 2019 for me ?

• Board Admin
1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Thats because cell signal in those places is not consistent. 

That is a good reason, but the payment machines should be able to store the transaction information until cell service is reached again.

2 hours ago, A. Wong said:

That is a good reason, but the payment machines should be able to store the transaction information until cell service is reached again.

There are very few places that have cell coverage along the Canadian route between Sudbury, Ontario and Elma, Manitoba.

5 hours ago, A. Wong said:

What if the passenger disembarks before the transaction can be verified? Then how do you collect payment. 

With gift cards, you could do that. 

• Board Admin
1 hour ago, Shaun said:

What if the passenger disembarks before the transaction can be verified? Then how do you collect payment. 

With gift cards, you could do that. 

There are many places that do not process transactions right away - they take the payment information and process the charge later. There is risk of fraud, yes, but you could track down passenger information if it was not a walk-up situation (eg. snack shop), or set limits on dollar amounts that you would accept. It might not be worth the effort to track people down for a bag of chips though, when the risk of fraud is probably pretty low anyway. Another example of this would be airplanes without wifi connectivity that take cashless payments.

This article explains a bit more about accepting credit card information without a real-time verification:

https://www.shopkeep.com/blog/no-easy-answers-accepting-credit-cards-offline

I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could verify it via satelite comm.  This will work everywhere but tunnels. 

The easier way to do it is to setup a gift card system. Have the amounts loaded on departure and a "server" on the train will keep track of the amounts uses. They can be updated once the train reaches the next station with WiFi. 

And you could link it to the points system.

The machines that VIA will be using are also used by the airline industry. They are designed to store transactions until they are placed into a base station at a terminal, which then uploads and completes the transactions.

This is why they are not able to process Interac transactions, and why they will eventually be used on the Canadian, even with its lack of cell signal in many places.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm on an HEP-2 car right now from Kingston to Toronto, and I have been trying to search at how the interiors originally looked like before its rebuild by VIA Rail in the 1990's, and there seems to be very few results about that. Anyone have pictures of their original interiors when they were first built?

2 hours ago, anyfong said:

I'm on an HEP-2 car right now from Kingston to Toronto, and I have been trying to search at how the interiors originally looked like before its rebuild by VIA Rail in the 1990's, and there seems to be very few results about that. Anyone have pictures of their original interiors when they were first built?

Are you referring to when the cars were in service with Amtrak, or even earlier, when they were built? There are some photos, but certainly not many - most seem to be in books and magazines.

Dan

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

Are you referring to when the cars were in service with Amtrak, or even earlier, when they were built? There are some photos, but certainly not many - most seem to be in books and magazines.

Dan

Yeah that's what I mean.