VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

I am onboard VIA 622 and we just passed Via 15. Train 15 was a weird combination of essentially Budd cars with a set of Rens sandwiched in between. There were definitely HEP sleepers as well as HEP economy coaches, but I couldn't tell if there were Ren sleepers as well in the mix. Is this mixball consist a permanent thing or is this temporary because of the recent accident near Halifax or other equipment shortage?

6 hours ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

Train 15 was a weird combination of essentially Budd cars with a set of Rens sandwiched in between. […] Is this mixball consist a permanent thing or is this temporary because of the recent accident near Halifax or other equipment shortage?

I had read elsewhere HEP-Ren-HEP consists are to be expected this summer, and I believe it is for the reason you brought up. 

The Ren portion is transition-coaches-service-diner-service-sleepers-transition, again going by what I recall reading earlier. 

• Like 1

Found this ‘Mixed’ Budd-Ren ‘Ocean’ Consist for Summer 2019 posted elsewhere:

(Sleeping Car Line #’s show in brackets)

F40PH2
F40PH2
F40PH2
Budd Baggage
Budd Coach
Budd Coach
Budd Coach
Ren Transition Car
Ren Service/Lounge Car
Ren Dining Car
Ren Service/Lounge Car
Ren Accessible Sleeper (Line #30)
Ren Sleeper (#31)
Ren Transition Car
Chateau sleepers (#33)
Chateau sleepers (#34)
Chateau sleepers (#35)
Chateau sleepers (#36)
Chateau sleepers (#37)
Chateau sleepers (#38)
Chateau sleepers (#39)
Budd ‘Park Car’ Dome Obs (#40)

16 minutes ago, ghYHZ said:

Found this ‘Mixed’ Budd-Ren ‘Ocean’ Consist for Summer 2019 posted elsewhere:

(Sleeping Car Line #’s show in brackets)

F40PH2
F40PH2
F40PH2
Budd Baggage
Budd Coach
Budd Coach
Budd Coach
Ren Transition Car
Ren Service/Lounge Car
Ren Dining Car
Ren Service/Lounge Car
Ren Accessible Sleeper (Line #30)
Ren Sleeper (#31)
Ren Transition Car
Chateau sleepers (#33)
Chateau sleepers (#34)
Chateau sleepers (#35)
Chateau sleepers (#36)
Chateau sleepers (#37)
Chateau sleepers (#38)
Chateau sleepers (#39)
Budd ‘Park Car’ Dome Obs (#40)

There should be an accessible coach before the first Service car...

On 6/29/2019 at 9:28 AM, smallspy said:

If your trip is on a Monday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday, you will be riding a HEP train on both segments (same consist, in fact).

If your trip is on a Tuesday, 84 will be a HEP train, and 42 will be an LRC.

On Wednesdays and Fridays, the same LRC trainset will operate as 84 and 42.

As for power, that is far more variable and harder to determine. There are very, very few trains that must be operated with only one locomotive type.

Dan

Generally speaking LRCs tend to get paired with F40s, and HEP2s get paired with P42s.

14 hours ago, littlewill1166 said:

Generally speaking LRCs tend to get paired with F40s, and HEP2s get paired with P42s.

Absolutely, positively, not the case at all.

There is no rhyme or reason to how equipment gets matched up with locos. There used to be a number of trainsets that required the use of P42s due to the higher speed they are allowed to operate at, but that has long since passed, and all trains are now timetabled to operate at a maximum of 95mph - the top speed of the F40s.

If you manage to "deduce" any patterns at all, it's solely because there are more F40s in service and available for service than there are P42s. Thus on any given day, you are more likely to see one.

Dan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shaun said:

I hope that even with this new fleet, they will still be able to accommodate bicycles, and pets.

New bike storage

In response to popular demand, our new trains will be equipped with designated spaces for your bikes.

https://corpo.viarail.ca/en/projects-infrastructure/train-fleet/fleet-replacement-program

As for transporting pets, I don’t see how the fleet configuration would affect such policies...

AB95B9D9-B5D3-4F11-B92F-54CCF0685401.jpeg

2 hours ago, Urban Sky said:

New bike storage

In response to popular demand, our new trains will be equipped with designated spaces for your bikes.

https://corpo.viarail.ca/en/projects-infrastructure/train-fleet/fleet-replacement-program

As for transporting pets, I don’t see how the fleet configuration would affect such policies...

AB95B9D9-B5D3-4F11-B92F-54CCF0685401.jpeg

Currently pets small enough to fit under the seat can ride the train. But otherwise they need to be placed in the bagged car, and in the summer months it's not allowed due to no AC on budd baggage cars. 

Since the HEP fleet will disappear from the corrior, I guess that means no large pets. 

A little late but here is a pic and recap of my trip on Via Rail train 84 and 42 last Sunday.

6EB360D6-B080-4EE4-A660-FAA98E28ACB3.thumb.jpeg.1d61402405eef97ad5fc138ecd95f1a7.jpeg

6421 was my ride seen here at the Kitchener train station. 

From my insta:

« Here is Via Rail engine 6421 as train 84 at Kitchener train station on July 14 2019. This train arrived at Kitchener 45 minutes late and ended up arriving at Toronto Union Station an hour late. I then continued on this train as it turned into train 42 to Ottawa. We left Toronto 30 minutes late and by the time we arrived at Fallowfield rain station (the stop before Ottawa) we were an hour late. We were about 10 minutes away from the Ottawa when the conductor stoped the train and said we were experiencing engine issues. About 45 minutes later, Via Rail engine 919 (a 2001 GE P42DC) came to the rescue and very slowly pushed us into Ottawa. We arrived in Ottawa 2 and a half hours late. »

On 7/13/2019 at 9:33 AM, smallspy said:

Absolutely, positively, not the case at all.

There is no rhyme or reason to how equipment gets matched up with locos. There used to be a number of trainsets that required the use of P42s due to the higher speed they are allowed to operate at, but that has long since passed, and all trains are now timetabled to operate at a maximum of 95mph - the top speed of the F40s.

If you manage to "deduce" any patterns at all, it's solely because there are more F40s in service and available for service than there are P42s. Thus on any given day, you are more likely to see one.

Dan

The cycling plan I posted from the engineer's union on Urban Toronto showed that P42s get paired with HEPs and LRCs get a mix of P42s and F40s. Also, after over 200 trips taking VIA over the past 2 years, I have yet to see an F40 pulling HEP coaches aside from train 88/85 which is a 2 car train, and the bidirectional push-pull trains.

5 hours ago, littlewill1166 said:

The cycling plan I posted from the engineer's union on Urban Toronto showed that P42s get paired with HEPs and LRCs get a mix of P42s and F40s. Also, after over 200 trips taking VIA over the past 2 years, I have yet to see an F40 pulling HEP coaches aside from train 88/85 which is a 2 car train, and the bidirectional push-pull trains.

Found this on a Fb page I follow
http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=38322

• Like 1

12 hours ago, littlewill1166 said:

There was an old cycling plan about 5 years ago that had a bunch of the HEP trainsets to be matched up with P42s due to a speed restriction that had been slapped on them on the Kingston Sub. That has long since been rescinded, however.

And if you go back further, there was a cycling plan that called for 5 specific trainsets - the three Montreal-Quebec ones, as well as two between Toronto and Montreal - that called for specifically P42s and LRCs. This was to ensure that those trains could run at 100mph.

But again, these are old plans. Hell, even until 2 years ago F40s were not allowed to operate on the top-and-tail sets due to their traction motors and gearboxes.

Today? There is virtually no routine that specifies the motive power. (The only exception to this is 85/88.) If you haven't seen any HEP trains pulled by F40s yourself, that's because you haven't been in a position to see them. There is LOTS of evidence of this happening over the past 2 months, nevermind 2 years.

Dan

On 7/27/2019 at 10:39 AM, Chris_the_traveller said:

Why do all Renaissance trainsets require a service car? Wouldn't it have been in VIA's interest to add some regular seating to these cars in the place of the lounge for Corridor service?

The Service Car carries a large onboard transformer that steps down the 480V AC HEP power to lower voltages used by the rest of the equipment. Thus, each trainset needs to have a Service Car in order for the rest of the equipment to operate.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• 5 weeks later...

Many years ago now... Maybe 2000 or 2001? I found out through a discussion board (CanRailPass I believe) that 6133 was heading east on the tail end of the Canadian. 

As a result, I took a roll of Black's E-6 slide film I had been saving for a special occasion and headed out to the Edmonton station for my first encounter with a RDC. I seem to recall it was heading back east for work of some sort. 

I would encounter 6133 a few more times on Victoria Island, and now of course, Rapido owns her. 

56390031.thumb.jpg.bb8729b94f45b6d88f91115a2fa71996.jpg56390032.thumb.jpg.446b2555cb5fd4d99fa3d70dc15f4083.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...