VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

We would all like to see HSR compatible rolling stock, but for now this equipment is only for the corridor that exists today. Plus we would need more trains if that new corridor is built. 

These "regular trains" can run on the new line (If built) just not at the full potential.  Possibly run as local trains as opposed to express?

Even the brightline trains are rated for 100mph. Acela trains can run at 125Mph and that still wouldnt be fast enough for the HSR corridor. 

I think it would make sense to treat them differently. 

Bombardier Multilevels can do 125mph (although that is not to say AMTs have all the necessary requirements to do so even absent speed testing). Here is a MARC example sandwiched between Kawasaki multilevels.

The Brightline trains are designed for 125, not 100.

https://www.smartrailworld.com/floridas-brightline-phase-2-ahead-of-phase-1-launch

Acelas can do 165 but at present are only timetabled for 150 max, and that only over very short stretches of the NEC.

• Like 1

Looking for information about the rolling stock that was stuck in Churchill and was reportedly shipped back to Montreal.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/multimedia/fp-slideshow/VIA-Rail-train-leaves-Churchill-451341713.html

I cannot find any information about the conditions that the rolling stock are in after they have arrived in Montreal by ship.

Is the affected rolling stock back in service?

Has anyone ever brought up the UK Government's Intercity Express Programme? These trains can switch from diesel to electric on the fly, and just like the UPX DMUs, they can be converted to electric-only by removing the engines. They'd make a great upgrade for VIA pending electrification proposals.

New GWR Class 802 IETs leave Italy bound for Devon and Cornwall

10 hours ago, KMB_BUS said:

Looking for information about the rolling stock that was stuck in Churchill and was reportedly shipped back to Montreal.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/multimedia/fp-slideshow/VIA-Rail-train-leaves-Churchill-451341713.html

I cannot find any information about the conditions that the rolling stock are in after they have arrived in Montreal by ship.

6402 & 6434 were seen at Via MMC in Nov 2017. So i'm guessing they are back in service.

* Pics were found on Canadian Passenger Train Enthusiasts Facebook page.

22 hours ago, Shaun said:

They could have accommodated passengers as far as Kingston, why cancel all of the trains? 

Cheaper , by cancelling they would just refund or rebook , if they continued to Kingston they would have to charter multiple coach’s to continue the rest of the trip, being a weekend McCoys and Coach Canada Kingston probably had all their buses on the road. 

On 2018-03-03 at 12:16 PM, KMB_BUS said:

Perhaps they were sent back to Winnipeg. VIA still operates a train between Winnipeg and Gillam.

9 minutes ago, Shaun said:

What was the reason why they where pulled from service? 

The original Alstom class 373s are now reaching 23 years and being electric high speed trains that run on different voltages, reliability will become an issue. 

That and the 17 new (not anymore) class 374s, which have more seating capacity. 

13 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

I think the building of the channel tunnel rail link from St Pancras to Folkestone, and discontinuing Waterloo service, 750v third rail was a factor.

It certainly didn't help matters. And neither did the acquisition of a new fleet of equipment, too.

But the main reason why they are getting retired is that ridership has dropped over the past 5 to 7 years. They were originally intending to rebuild the Class 373 fleet and run them alongside the Class 374s - instead, ridership has dropped so far that they'll be able to scrap more than half of the 373 fleet and still have enough equipment.

Dan

I noticed that VIA has pulled one of two Renaissance trainsets running on the Ocean, and replaced it with a HEP1 set. Apparently the Renaissance cars are having serious technical difficulties, and the stainless steel equipment will be used for an undetermined period of time. It's not clear what exactly the problems with the Ren equipment are.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

Apparently the Renaissance cars are having serious technical difficulties, and the stainless steel equipment will be used for an undetermined period of time. It's not clear what exactly the problems with the Ren equipment are.

Any takers here? @smallspy

Actually since it was mentioned, how has the reliability been of the Renns?

8 hours ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

I noticed that VIA has pulled one of two Renaissance trainsets running on the Ocean, and replaced it with a HEP1 set. Apparently the Renaissance cars are having serious technical difficulties, and the stainless steel equipment will be used for an undetermined period of time. It's not clear what exactly the problems with the Ren equipment are.

I'm afraid that it's worse than that.

First off, remember that there are three Renaissance sets allocated to the Ocean. One of those sets has been permanently removed from service to use for parts and equipment to keep the other two running.

Several months ago - I believe it was early January - one of the remaining sets suffered some bad freeze damage during a cold spell. The damage is such that it had to be removed from service for an extended period, and there is some concern that it may not be able to be repaired. In the interim, the Budd equipment that had been used for the Christmas extra runs was pressed back into service.

Dan

• Thanks 1