VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

For anyone keeping track, this morning something that hasn't happened in a long time - months at least - occurred.

Both #1 and #2 arrived on time at Vancouver and Toronto, respectively. In fact, #2 arrived over an hour early.

http://reservia.viarail.ca/tsi/GetTrainStatus.aspx?l=en&TsiCCode=VIA&TsiTrainNumber=1-&TrainInstanceDate=2017-10-17

http://reservia.viarail.ca/tsi/GetTrainStatus.aspx?l=en&TsiCCode=VIA&TsiTrainNumber=2-&TrainInstanceDate=2017-10-17

16 hours ago, vortoozo said:

For anyone keeping track, this morning something that hasn't happened in a long time - months at least - occurred.

Both #1 and #2 arrived on time at Vancouver and Toronto, respectively. In fact, #2 arrived over an hour early.

http://reservia.viarail.ca/tsi/GetTrainStatus.aspx?l=en&TsiCCode=VIA&TsiTrainNumber=1-&TrainInstanceDate=2017-10-17

http://reservia.viarail.ca/tsi/GetTrainStatus.aspx?l=en&TsiCCode=VIA&TsiTrainNumber=2-&TrainInstanceDate=2017-10-17

Of course, the reason for this was because CN put two trains on the ground in Alberta, closing their mainline. The Canadian has been short-turning at Edmonton and Winnipeg.

Dan

• Like 2

The government has the ability to put into law that passenger trains get priority over fright. Or even create penalties for making the passenger train late. 

Is it just the lack of political will to do so? 

VIA is a customer of CN and should be treated with some respect. 

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎22 at 5:35 PM, Shaun said:

The government has the ability to put into law that passenger trains get priority over fright. Or even create penalties for making the passenger train late. 

Is it just the lack of political will to do so? 

VIA is a customer of CN and should be treated with some respect. 

There is of course a substantial difference between a customer being treated with respect - and I fully agree Via should be and often is not, and legislating train priority.

Use of government powers for regulating private industry in relative minutia is arguably quite out of place here. I don't have any idea what Via's contract is like, and I am always a tad surprised there isn't a dragging lawsuit by Via against CN but ultimately it isn't really in anyone's long term best interests to have legislated train priority. 

3 hours ago, Dexter249 said:

Saw P42DC #902 yesterday leaving Barrhaven, We should list off P42DC's that have been repainted in the Canada 150 Scheme

So far #902 has yet to be repainted.

If I recall correctly 901-903, 915 and  917 are the only VIA P42's not in the Canada 150 Scheme. 

8 hours ago, Viafreak said:

If I recall correctly 901-903, 915 and  917 are the only VIA P42's not in the Canada 150 Scheme. 

They did wrap 903 (unfortunately). IMO they should've only wrapped the blue P42s cause they look the rattiest. 

Also does anyone know if 901 is back in service yet or is it still being repaired?

I can't believe how hard it is to get around in the rockies in the winter. Hardly any bus service between Jasper, Banff or the Kootenay's. 

The only way to get around is by renting a car. 

Would it make sense to have a train linking Vancouver to Calgary on the same route the Rocky Mountaineer runs? But to actually serve those communities rather than for rich tourists?  Which doesn't run in the winter... 

54 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Would it make sense to have a train linking Vancouver to Calgary on the same route the Rocky Mountaineer runs? But to actually serve those communities rather than for rich tourists?  Which doesn't run in the winter... 

All about the $$$ factor. Write your local MP. If there was ever to be a restoration of service to Calgary then it would have to be through the government (VIA being a crown corp) or private service. Bus service runs between Vancouver and Calgary, it's the best you're going to get at this point.

12 hours ago, Dexter249 said:

Saw P42DC #902 yesterday leaving Barrhaven, We should list off P42DC's that have been repainted in the Canada 150 Scheme

So far #902 has yet to be repainted.

Why even keep track of it, they'll be removed next year anyways :lol:

10 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

Yes...why is that? Canada won't be 150 in 2019...those wraps will be lying

You're assuming that they would stay the exact same as they are today. They won't.

Also, 2019 would make them 3 years old. They'll be gone by then.

Dan

17 hours ago, Shaun said:

Can they remove the wraps without damaging the paint? Would it be cheaper to wrap them again with something else rather than repaint them? 

That's a good point you bring up. Although I'm sure VIA took some precautions with the wrap considering its travelling at high speed 90% of the time, wrap removal can damage paint for sure. Some of MiWay's buses are a good example. 

I don't think they will do a full scale repaint until the next rebrand. Speaking of which, are there any plans for such a thing? This livery has been around since the 2000s...

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

They could just wrap them again, instead of paint. It would be cheaper. 

It would be cheaper for sure. It's an interesting topic really. I was going to say you have to consider long term wear and tear, like snow, salt, stonechips, rust etc, but its too early to say. I believe the wraps were installed early this year, so we'll see how they endure a year, including a full Canadian winter. Obviously, anyone who knows VIA's fleet to some extent knows that basically every P42 has looked battered up front at some point in its life, so it's a good test to see how the wraps fare. Perhaps its a low-key test by VIA themselves...

Edit: Come to think of it, hasn't VIA done this before? The Kool-Aid, spiderman and Telus F40s were all wraps, no?

Anyone know anything about a possible rebranding like I mentioned earlier? It has been nearly 20 years, and while the Canada 150 celebration is all fine and well, its only around for the next couple of years. I guess it'll happen with the next purchase of rolling stock?