VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

11 hours ago, Shaun said:

Does that mean that the time time reflects the equipment being used on that train? In a situation where there is an equipment swap or mixed equipment the train cannot maintain that schedule? 

Or they just try to just use the HEP or HEP-2 equipment on the milk run trains where the schedule is not expecting to get up to top speed. 

-Charlie

On 8/4/2017 at 9:42 PM, Shaun said:

Does that mean that the time time reflects the equipment being used on that train? In a situation where there is an equipment swap or mixed equipment the train cannot maintain that schedule? 

Yes and yes.

That's why there is a very specific train cycling schedule.

Dan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If VIA actually builds the northern high speed route, i foresee problems in Peterborough where there isn't a lot of space to build a second track.  I guess they would need to buy those home owners out and evict them or build it overhead.  I dont see that working out too well.  

On 9/27/2009 at 8:48 PM, smallspy said:

VIA has many busy periods - the week before Labour Day, for instance, as students head to school. Right now things are quiet, but the next busy period is the Thanksgiving weekend.

The turntable is physically shorter than a passenger car - from what I remember seeing it seemed to be only slightly longer than an F40 - but with the overhang at the ends apparently the trucks/wheelbase of a passenger car will fit.

Dan

It is called Expropriation.. It is done to widen highways, so why not widen a rail line?

• 3 weeks later...

Tweed is just north of Belleville. Why not just build a shuttle service between Tweed station and Belleville station? 

There is no doubt that more service is needed from Belleville in both directions, especially on weekends. 

I know on weekdays they have a train that starts at Kingston. Does this train run on weekends also? 

23 hours ago, Shaun said:

Tweed is just north of Belleville. Why not just build a shuttle service between Tweed station and Belleville station?

I wouldn't call over 30 minutes by road in good conditions *just* north of Belleville.

Edit:

Of course, if Belleville really wants to get in on VIA's project, the Grand Junction/Belleville and North Hastings route to the O&Q line may still be usable. :P

3 hours ago, Allandale25 said:

Latest on the Churchill situation and the engineering report that projects what it would cost to repair the line. The CBC article has a link to the report and I've downloaded the PDF. See here for a copy of the PDF.

With all the BS Omnitrax has been doing Manitoba and the Feds could have either funded the rebuilding and or even bought the railroad and rebuilt it  

On 9/6/2017 at 8:56 PM, Shaun said:

Would there be any spots where the new line and the old line could interconnect in between the destinations?

Other than at Belleville if CP allows passenger trains on the Belleville sub, all the other lines that could be used to connect the two lines between Brockville and Toronto are long gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Because that's not where it is. They use wayside power for Skeena equipment which is stored on a station track and not that stub siding. Even when they have a locomotive parked on the stub track, I don't recall them idling during the spring/ summer, probably because of the automatic shut down system.

• 2 weeks later...