VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

That #1 was having a bad day. We weren't sure exactly where it was when we were heading out to it, but 116 took the siding at Riley. We figured that was or #1, until we noticed another CN train already on the main. I believe it was 401. That cleared, then another Westbound intermodal showed, finally followed by #1. #1 got routed around the intermodal West of Tofield.

I don't know what happened West of Edmonton, but, I was surprised when I checked 7-8 hours later the train hadn't made Jasper yet. A friend did send along something (Facebook?) that apparently the crew ran out of time at mile 231 on the Edson which is only a few miles out of Jasper. As a result, the Kamloops crew had to go and get the train, and needed a CN pilot into Jasper. The latest I saw this train was 13.5 hours, but, it has since gained about 30 minutes and is only 13 hours late, almost at Vancouver.

It's kind of a shame that via brushes off these delays especially the ones that are less than an hour as if it's business as usual. I just wrapped up my trip in Japan and man all the trains are on the minute and the rare delays with the local lines are explained immediately. The shinkansen is always on time despite travelling at over 300km/h with multiple different trains weaving around it.

At one point 4 trains stopping at different stations and frequencies were separated by only 12 minutes. That's the Japanese. I only hope our service standards will begin to approach theirs soon 

Don't forget that this trans continental train travels 5000km one way on shared track.

If it was 24 hours late, did it leave on time the next Day?  Is there a spare trains Set? 

But in terms of the corridor, three times out of three that I traveled it was more than 30 minutes late.

Why not just change the scedule to match actual travel times?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

If it was 24 hours late, did it leave on time the next Day?  Is there a spare trains Set? 

Don't think it did leave on time. I believe the next #1 was 16 hours late leaving Toronto.

Here is that #1 east of Edmonton 13 hours late, having gained back 3 hours. I believe it made it into Vancouver only about 11-12 hours late.

DSC09590.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, benz.citaro.fan said:

No. They were deadheading because the train 669 is usually 5 cars long.

What does the train length have to do with anything?

For the record, no, they weren't in service.

Dan

3 hours ago, smallspy said:

Dan

I know they weren't in service but if the train is longer than the typical consist you know at least some are deadheading. Heck, I have even seen some VIA trains with 3 consists deadheading to the yard.

On 2017-06-09 at 8:59 AM, smallspy said:

Dan

Also remember that Renaissance cars needs absolutely two cars to operate in passenger service, they need either a luggage car / transition car AND a service car .

If they deadhead, they still need either the luggage or transition car since knukle are not the same as the rest of the VIA fleet

9 hours ago, eclair14 said:

If they deadhead, they still need either the luggage or transition car since knukle are not the same as the rest of the VIA fleet

The coupler adapter can be attached to any ren car. It's just that VIA has doubts over the crash worthiness of the cars when in service which is why they have the baggage or transition car.

On 2017-06-09 at 0:04 PM, benz.citaro.fan said:

I know they weren't in service but if the train is longer than the typical consist you know at least some are deadheading. Heck, I have even seen some VIA trains with 3 consists deadheading to the yard.

That doesn't mean anything. I've caught 14 car long corridor sets where not one piece of equipment was deadheading. There have been plenty of instances with cars that are normally used on the Canadian - diners, skylines, Park cars - where they have been in service rather than deadheading. The length of the train has very little bearing on how much of it is in service.

On 2017-06-11 at 0:10 AM, eclair14 said:

Also remember that Renaissance cars needs absolutely two cars to operate in passenger service, they need either a luggage car / transition car AND a service car .

Not a baggage or transition, but just a baggage car. The transition car is configured differently, and can't be used in quite the same way.

But yes, to make an operable trainset, they need at the very least a baggage car and a service car. Because this equipment was just to be used for training and not revenue service there was no requirement to include the service car.

23 hours ago, skyfirenet said:

The coupler adapter can be attached to any ren car. It's just that VIA has doubts over the crash worthiness of the cars when in service which is why they have the baggage or transition car.

There is a 10 or 15mph restriction on using the emergency adaptor coupler. For obvious reasons, they can't use it on a revenue trainset.

And for the record, it's not that VIA Rail has "....doubts over the crash worthiness..." - they don't. They feel that the cars are more than safe enough as it is. It is Transport Canada who has concerns, although they've also had most of those concerns allayed by VIA.

Dan

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/06/2017 at 3:23 AM, Dane said:

Apparently Via has a train stranded up there now, too? If that is the case that's an awkward position. Wonder what the solution will be - barge out of Churchill maybe?

2 locomotives and some coaches, according to Global. Apparently barging is not off the table but I think VIA want to be sure the line can't/won't be fixed before they risk that. That said, I've been saying for years VIA should be operating a train from North Bay to Toronto and if they barge the stranded stock over to Moosonee we might see it happen :lol:

On 6/12/2017 at 3:23 AM, Dane said:

Apparently Via has a train stranded up there now, too? If that is the case that's an awkward position. Wonder what the solution will be - barge out of Churchill maybe?

I am sure they would rather risk waiting to the rail line is reopened or they would truck it out during the winter road season.

4 hours ago, dowlingm said:

That said, I've been saying for years VIA should be operating a train from North Bay to Toronto and if they barge the stranded stock over to Moosonee we might see it happen :lol:

But probably only one-way: Moosonee-Cochrane-North Bay-TMC! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was posted by Transport Action today:

Omnitrax won't fix the line to Churchill 
Calls the railway a public utility
Winnipeg Free Press: Omnitrax estimates it will cost between $20 million and $60 million to repair the line and can be done in 60 days. But Omnitrax senior executive Peter Touesnard said "Because we have determined the rail line lacks commercial viability and now (faced) with millions of dollars of damage... we can't justify the resources necessary to repair the line," he said at a lengthy press conference this morning.
Full story: 
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/…/omnitrax-wont-fix-rail-l…
Winnipeg Free Press
Posted: 07/18/2017 1:10 PM

See also
CBC News, ”It [the rail line] is not commercially viable, so we believe it's a public utility," said Peter Touesnard, chief commercial officer for Omnitrax.
http://www.cbc.ca/…/manitoba-churchill-omnitrax-rail-1.4210…
CBC News, Updated: Jul 18, 2017 1:19 PM CT

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/…/omnitrax-wont-fix-rail-l…