Stolen Photos!

MCW Metrobus

Do you have an image of yours to show us the picmarker work?

I have attached on how to use the site and it's pretty good. you can upload 5 from your computer or 10 from your flickr (you must log in). I have slapped a few watermarks on the photo just to show what you can do. You can even do a watermark image.

1.png2.png3.png4.jpg

I've had so many photos stolen online that I've just moved to make my Flickr page entirely private. Now it's more just a file repository for my personal use; I can pull up things on a tablet through the Flickr app when I need/ want them or link to them on the forum as needed, but that's it.

I've had so many photos stolen online that I've just moved to make my Flickr page entirely private. Now it's more just a file repository for my personal use; I can pull up things on a tablet through the Flickr app when I need/ want them or link to them on the forum as needed, but that's it.

Good plan. I have a few on Flickr back when I was first trying it out. I have the free account (under 200 pics). So long ago I've forgotten how to use Flickr so I haven't put any up since. I don't know how to watermark, but I am not too concerned. If someone likes a photo or two that much they are welcome to it.

Good plan. I have a few on Flickr back when I was first trying it out. I have the free account (under 200 pics). So long ago I've forgotten how to use Flickr so I haven't put any up since. I don't know how to watermark, but I am not too concerned. If someone likes a photo or two that much they are welcome to it.

The free account now has 1TB of storage.

I figure that photos uploaded on Flickr would be viewed and downloaded by many people. Don't put them up if you don't want people to see them.

Busfanning photos seen to appeal to a small audience. It also seem like some people in this audience have love to steal people's photos. Though I personally don't think busfanning photos are worth getting angry about compared to photos of professional photographers. Just upload low quality low res photos and keep the good quality version to yourself. Don't let people view the originals. It's easier to watermark photos with photo editors like Lightroom, Photoshop and etc. From there, you can also downsize and reduce the quality.

X-Rated material is very problematic on Flickr. It seems like mature photos are uploaded by many photo thieves and they got the industry battling the situation. Yet it's almost impossible to control on Flickr. Since they can't do anything about that, there is no hope for hobbyist photographers. So what you upload on the internet becomes public domain, upload it at your own risk.

• Thanks 1

So what you upload on the internet becomes public domain, upload it at your own risk.

It never becomes public domain, unless you have been dead for so many years. Copyright still exists for photos on the internet but a lot of people are just to ignorant of the law.

Though I personally don't think busfanning photos are worth getting angry about compared to photos of professional photographers.

I once had a photo of mine turn up on a website that was anti-bus, anti-LRT. Not too impressed about that.

It never becomes public domain, unless you have been dead for so many years.

50years after your death I believe.

50years after your death I believe.

It actually depends upon the country that the person was residing in, and therefore the copyright is under.

50 years in Canada, 70 years in the US.

In the UK it seems to be 50 years for written work and 25 years for a photograph.

• 2 weeks later...

I figure that photos uploaded on Flickr would be viewed and downloaded by many people. Don't put them up if you don't want people to see them.

Busfanning photos seen to appeal to a small audience. It also seem like some people in this audience have love to steal people's photos. Though I personally don't think busfanning photos are worth getting angry about compared to photos of professional photographers. Just upload low quality low res photos and keep the good quality version to yourself. Don't let people view the originals. It's easier to watermark photos with photo editors like Lightroom, Photoshop and etc. From there, you can also downsize and reduce the quality.

X-Rated material is very problematic on Flickr. It seems like mature photos are uploaded by many photo thieves and they got the industry battling the situation. Yet it's almost impossible to control on Flickr. Since they can't do anything about that, there is no hope for hobbyist photographers. So what you upload on the internet becomes public domain, upload it at your own risk.

Firstly, I always did what you suggest -- the full, original high-res files were NEVER allowed for download for someone other than myself. I lost count of the interesting email I received from people who were OUTRAGED that I wouldn't just allow them to freely crib my high-res files. As if it was their God-given right. As if it was beneath them to simply ASK for the bigger files.

Ah, the joys of the Internet.

Secondly, there's a BIG difference between "seeing my photos" and "stealing my photos." You'd be surprised where some of my work wound up at times. I had absolutely ZERO qualms about showing my work online and classifying them into public groups -- in fact, it fostered discussions and friendships on my Flickr comments section -- but I loathe when people either stole the files, claimed authorship/ownership, or failed to give proper attribution. "I FOUND IT ON GOOGLE, BRO" is not a valid excuse as the added click that took them to where they downloaded the file took them to my Flickr page. It's simply a matter of people not giving two...uh, merdes.

Thirdly, that public domain's a tricky thing. Especially when all my photos were uploaded to Flickr with "all rights reserved" copyright settings. Watermarking's an option but it's a PITA to go back and apply them to several hundred photographs. And yes, there are apps that will retroactively apply them to content on Flickr, but to my knowledge, they don't leave an un-marked original behind for my personal use/reference/etc.

In short, I've just learned it's easier to not trust people and not make any photo accessible to the general public. It stsinks, but I'm tired of playing this game.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just noticed that someone used my photo of SMART 3006 on a site called "Crystal Ball Sim" on a page there called "The World Ends With You Hybrid," but when I tried to access that, it redirected me to some download link.

UPDATE: Decided to take precautions against people wanting to steal my photos by watermarking them.

Suburban_Mobility_Authority_for_Regional

• 3 months later...

A "99 Gillig Low Floor Diesel Coach" for only $5995??!! Seems legit :lol:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/for/5271596391.html

(original photo)

Maybe if they sell their D40LF or Gillig or whatever it actually is, they can spend a little of the money on a camera so they can take pics of their stuff for future CL postings ;)

A "99 Gillig Low Floor Diesel Coach" for only $5995??!! Seems legit :lol:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/for/5271596391.html

(original photo)

Maybe if they sell their D40LF or Gillig or whatever it actually is, they can spend a little of the money on a camera so they can take pics of their stuff for future CL postings ;)

Wow... What exactly are they selling?! A 1999 40 foot low floor transit bus....