MCW Metrobus

Stolen Photos!

Is there a Frank Denardo in the house? If not, has anybody else on this board heard this name before?

This individual seems to make a hobby of stealing photographs from other people's websites and passing them off as his own work. In the past he has uploaded content from various enthusiasts' websites to Yahoo groups. I happened to be browsing Wikipedia (as in wikipedia.org, NOT the CPTDB wiki) at work as I was bored, and happened across something very familiar on the Kamloops Transit page. A photo of bus #8605. It was sourced to Mr. Denardo's flickr account.

Why does it look familiar? I took that photo. Other photographers on the board would be best advised to peruse through this guy's photostream to see if he has hijacked any of your photos. A photo I took of the other Kamloops Orion V (8604) was also ripped off by Mr. Denardo.

I haven't yet looked through the rest of the photos on his account yet... it'd probably be a pretty time-consuming (and somewhat interesting) process. With the sheer amount and variety of stuff he has on there, it wouldn't surprise me if a good percentage of it (perhaps even 100%!) is ripped off.

Actually 9235 is another one of mine, as is 7497. 9235 and 7497 originals - taken with a Canon Rebel XT which was the camera I used at the time that picture was taken. :P

There are a couple of photos of his that I saw - Translink 9279, BC Transit 8608 running in Vancouver being a few examples.

TTC1700   
Actually 9235 is another one of mine, as is 7497. 9235 and 7497 originals - taken with a Canon Rebel XT which was the camera I used at the time that picture was taken. :P

Oops , My bad :P I looked @ the watermark on the original and saw both your names. I just threw David's name out there.

He also stole hand full of Fishbowl pictures from Transit Toronto, DA shot of the Xcelsior that you guys took, and Translink 3175.

Oops , My bad :P I looked @ the watermark on the original and saw both your names. I just threw David's name out there.

We didn't put our individual names on our photos when we uploaded them to our old site. For our Toronto photos we used the camera metadata to tell which ones were whose.

Is there a Frank Denardo in the house? If not, has anybody else on this board heard this name before?

This individual seems to make a hobby of stealing photographs from other people's websites and passing them off as his own work. In the past he has uploaded content from various enthusiasts' websites to Yahoo groups. I happened to be browsing Wikipedia (as in wikipedia.org, NOT the CPTDB wiki) at work as I was bored, and happened across something very familiar on the Kamloops Transit page. A photo of bus #8605. It was sourced to Mr. Denardo's flickr account.

Why does it look familiar? I took that photo. Other photographers on the board would be best advised to peruse through this guy's photostream to see if he has hijacked any of your photos. A photo I took of the other Kamloops Orion V (8604) was also ripped off by Mr. Denardo.

I haven't yet looked through the rest of the photos on his account yet... it'd probably be a pretty time-consuming (and somewhat interesting) process. With the sheer amount and variety of stuff he has on there, it wouldn't surprise me if a good percentage of it (perhaps even 100%!) is ripped off.

Nooo, I don't think he ripped off 100% of others' photos, but if you think he's really hijacking photos, inclusive YOUR photos (you have now proofs of it), warn him. If such thing happens again, take him out for two weeks, or the time you think it's fair...

Stealing is bad, generally it doesn't cost anything to ask permission to the respective owners, that's what I always did, and I'mwilling to continue ...

Thanks for information, Silver! :P

AlexLy   
I noticed the BARP ones to. I don't see any Brandon Transit photos so I'm good. :P (But this guy needs to stop stealing.)

None of mine are in, maybe until the day he finds out my crappy photos :P.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36423017@N07/...57619533909599/

He's even poached from New Flyer.

Copy and paste allows a lot of comments to be posted quickly. :P

The worst part is that he is (probably) allowing others to reuse the stolen photos, given the comments about licensing in some, and requests from groups, in others.

I know two wrongs don't make a right, but, I can't help but wonder if I should steal a photo of this guy and post it on my own website? Turn a photo of him into a wanted poster?

Edit: the license applied to one photo of himself that I checked out said this:

You are free:

to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work

to Remix — to adapt the work

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

I think that would mean I could screw around with a photo of him and it would be perfectly fine...

M.Wright   

Seems he doesn't have a single OC Transpo photo. I even searched OC Transpo, nothing, however he has some Ottawa photos, but they are just of buildings and roadways.

However I can't tell if they've been stolen or not. Two of them are his because he is in them.

I was sure I saw a shot of an OC D60LF in there somewhere.

The license that he applied to those poached photos is what cleared the way for my shot of 8605 to be reproduced on Wikipedia. It wasn't him who put it there.

Seems he doesn't have a single OC Transpo photo. I even searched OC Transpo, nothing, however he has some Ottawa photos, but they are just of buildings and roadways.
I was sure I saw a shot of an OC D60LF in there somewhere.

Yes he does. None of them are mine.

I guess my little tactic worked. The photo still appears on Wikipedia, though - at least if you use the link I posted.

So, by that logic, if you find one of your photos on there, if you post a comment with a link to the original, perhaps he will remove it. Especially if you word it the way I did. :P

I guess my little tactic worked. The photo still appears on Wikipedia, though - at least if you use the link I posted.

So, by that logic, if you find one of your photos on there, if you post a comment with a link to the original, perhaps he will remove it. Especially if you word it the way I did. :P

Mind you, with Wikipedia/Wikimedia Commons, they aren't as quick to delete stuff as they have a whole ton of deletion guidelines. So if you do wish to put the images up for deletion, be ready to back up your arguments for it, and to have a knowledge of the deletion criteria.

Is this gentleman a member of this board?

I noticed he has MBTA's photo of a Xcelsior builders plate, which is only accessible to members of the board.

The Xcelsior thread is in the transit lounge which can be viewed by guests.

TTC1700   
Is this gentleman a member of this board?

I noticed he has MBTA's photo of a Xcelsior builders plate, which is only accessible to members of the board.

The Xcelsior plate that's on his page belongs to Trans-Vancouver.

Original: http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p58235037.html

Stolen: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36423017@N07/...57619533909599/

The Xcelsior plate that's on his page belongs to Trans-Vancouver.

Original: http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p58235037.html

Stolen: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36423017@N07/...57619533909599/

Ooops. I stand corrected. Similar angle, same plate :blink:

The Xcelsior thread is in the transit lounge which can be viewed by guests.

The thread cann be viewed by guests, but photos that are uploaded to the board cannot be downloaded unless you are signed in, from the testing I did before posting. Now, if only I had compared the photos a bit more closely...

I've become resigned to the fact that I cannot prevent someone from downloading my photos, short of not posting them online at all. I do try to annoy would-be thieves by only posting lower-resolution images and placing a copyright notice prominently on one corner of the photo.

linster   

To make sure that the photo is the same (but with the copywright watermark removed) why not crop both photos to a common size (or even just a small square in the center). The idea is to get an area that has not been modified in any way. Make sure the crops are in exactly the same place to the pixel. Then run an MD5sum on both crops. If it's the same, it's stolen, just with your copyright edited out in other parts of the picture. Even if one pixel is a different colour in that cropped area the MD5sum will be completely different.