DE60LF Demo bus at OC

ikarus8737

A picture of what the DE60LF demo from King County Transit looks like that's at OC Transpo right now. It's not the actual bus though. This is just to show you what it looks like.

kcm2676b.jpg

Maybe that's what my classmate saw driving around as it did have a blue rear he said. I thought it was a little too early for the Enviro to be back in town. :rolleyes:

I'll test him again finding out.

One of my bus driver friends is on the board for the articulated bus acquisition. I'l see if i can get her to take a picture of the bus (some of you may know her she drove the enviro when it was in town)

Maybe that's what my classmate saw driving around as it did have a blue rear he said. I thought it was a little too early for the Enviro to be back in town. :P

I'll test him again finding out.

One of my bus driver friends is on the board for the articulated bus acquisition. I'l see if i can get her to take a picture of the bus (some of you may know her she drove the enviro when it was in town)

Oh yeah her. Yeah anyway I showed my classmate a picture of this DE60LF and he said "YES THAT'S WHAT I SAW!!!"

A picture of what the DE60LF demo from King County Transit looks like that's at OC Transpo right now. It's not the actual bus though. This is just to show you what it looks like.

kcm2676b.jpg

Ironically that photo shows a DE60LF doing a demo in Edmonton. Also a non-revnue service demo.

The DE60s replaced the Breda Dual Modes in Seattle.

Not a good decision in my opinion. The Metro Tunnel does not have proper ventilation for diesel powered vehicles.

Yeah I think if they want Fuel Efficency then they should of put trolley poles on the DE60LFs. IIRC Hybrids are powered by electricity generated by the diesel so once the trolley poles are hooked up just keep the electric motor running and charge the batterys while powering the bus through the tunnel.

Also I can see passenger problems arrising as the DE60LF doesn't have a middle door and the two doors are pretty spread appart so if you get door/aisle blockers, by the time you get to the door the bus will probably start moving and you missed your stop...

On a crowded bus you would have to be stopped longer to let people off which could result in possible delays.

But we'll have to wait untill the Bus Tunnel opens up again. And it ain't our problem :lol:

Yeah I think if they want Fuel Efficency then they should of put trolley poles on the DE60LFs. IIRC Hybrids are powered by electricity generated by the diesel so once the trolley poles are hooked up just keep the electric motor running and charge the batterys while powering the bus through the tunnel.

Also I can see passenger problems arrising as the DE60LF doesn't have a middle door and the two doors are pretty spread appart so if you get door/aisle blockers, by the time you get to the door the bus will probably start moving and you missed your stop...

On a crowded bus you would have to be stopped longer to let people off which could result in possible delays.

But we'll have to wait untill the Bus Tunnel opens up again. And it ain't our problem :lol:

It's the transit agency that decides if they want middle doors or not.

Add to that, the tunnel was originally designed to put a lot of routes, and a lot of buses underground.

It works really well.

If you got Seattle next year after September, I think? Check it out. It is really something to see.

Yeah but also you remember that the Bredas provided the majority of service before the Tunnel Closing and they had 3 doors.

The service might get worse after with the DE60LFs... but we will have to wait to see as the tunnel doesn't open untill (well going by the info in your post) September.

Plenty of places seem to cope ok with only two doors, in fact the majority have 2 doors, 3 doors are more unusual!

The majority of artics if not all have 3 doors in Canada. In the States it's a hole lot more common to have artics with 2 doors.

• Board Admin

The DE60s replaced the Breda Dual Modes in Seattle.

Not a good decision in my opinion. The Metro Tunnel does not have proper ventilation for diesel powered vehicles.

The DE60LFs run in "Hush Mode" while in the tunnel, meaning they run solely on electric power. The diesel engine is inactive during the trip through there.