Updates to Hamilton Transit History

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apologies for the slightly late update this month, I've been having computer troubles. This month's update is a description of the Remains of the Hamilton, Grimsby & Beamsville and the Hamilton Radial Electric Railway remains in Hamilton. I've also made some additions to the Brantford & Hamilton Remains page.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting off the new year with a large number of new pictures. Thanks to the generous people at the Maritime New England Bus Page, I've added photos to the following bus pages: T6H-5307N, D900, TDH-4521, TDH-4519, TDH-4512, TGH-3102, and created a new page for the HSR's fleet of CD-45's. There are also some updates to the TA60-102N page, as well as to the HSR Bus roster.

• 5 weeks later...

This month's update is a sad one. The 1908 South Car Barn Fire destroyed the car barn and six streetcars, but worst of all a firefighter was killed while battling the blaze. From the research done in writing this article, I've also made updates to the pages on the Early HSR Streetcars, the Stephenson DEDT Streetcars, and on the Radial and HSR Accidents.

• 1 month later...

This month's update is a photo essay on the several different Paint schemes used by the HSR over the years. Special thanks go to Andy Hyslop who provided historical data. Additional thanks go to Andy for helping me identify numerous bus locations in the photos that were posted back in January.

On a sad note, the former B&H Murray St electric substation has been demolished.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to several new photos that have been obtained from Library & Archives Canada, and from the collections of both the Oakville and the Lincoln Libraries (special thanks to the owners of said photos), I've made additions to the following pages: Hamilton, Grimsby & Beamsville Electric Railway, Hamilton Radial Electric Railway, Brantford & Hamilton Electric Railway, Hamilton and Barton Incline Railway, The Story of the HG&B cars and Final Fate of Radials and HSR Streetcars and Buses. I've also written a new article on the HSR's fleet of single truck open cars.

• 1 month later...

(apologies for the late notice on CPTDB, I posted my article on time, but left town for a few days and forgot about notifying folks here)

This month is another long overdue article that I've finally written. I've done pages and pages on the Hamilton area Radial Railways, but nothing about the Hamilton Terminal Station-until now!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks once again to the folks at the Maritime New England Bus Page, I've added photos to the existing Canada Coach Lines pages on the MC-5B and the SDM-4502. I've also created a new page on the CCL MCI MC-9 bus fleet. Also after talking with David O'Reilly, I've added some details to the Final Fate of Radials and HSR Streetcars and Buses page.

• 1 month later...

A light update this month. I've created another new Canada Coach Lines page, this one on the MCI TC40-102A bus fleet. Thanks once again to the folks at the Maritime New England Bus Page for the photos.

David O'Reilly made a real find, discovering that another HSR trolley bus survived the scrapper's torch. HSR 739 was sold to a private owner, and by the mid 90's was in a field near Cardinal, Ontario. If anyone out there knows what happened to the trolley bus, please let me know. As a result of the find, I've made minor updates to both the T-48 and the Final fate pages.

• 5 weeks later...

This month Hamilton Transit History is marking a milestone and an anniversary. First the milestone; Almost 9 years after starting up, this website has now reached 100 pages. When I realized that this event was imminent, I knew that the update had to be a special one, something important.

Luckily for me, this month is the anniversary of a major event. August 2010 marks the 30th anniversary of the start of preliminary design work on Hamilton's Proposed Intermediate Capacity Transit System (ICTS).

Because of the size of this topic its been broken down into parts. This update describes the background, the design process, and the final proposed route. A future update will cover political and public reaction to the ICTS project, leading up to the rejection of the ICTS on December 15, 1981, and a look back 30 years with analysis and commentary on what the effects of having or not having a mass transit system have been on Hamilton.

• 5 weeks later...

Last month's update was one big article. This month is the opposite: updates to a ton of different pages. Thanks to the people at the Toronto Public library, the Dundas Museum & Archives, and the Burlington Historical Society, I've added photos to the following pages: The Hamilton Radial Electric Railway (HRER), The Brantford & Hamilton Electric Railway (B&H), Radial and HSR Accidents, Early HSR Streetcars, Stephenson DEDT Streetcars, and created a new page, Canadian Car & Foundry C-36A. Thanks also go to Dave Sherlock, who provided photos of the former tracks of the HG&B in Beamsville being removed.

I've added links to footage of HTC #675 and the James St Incline, and the recent bus retirements and new buses entering service have been described on the C40LF, LFS, and D40LF pages.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been digging around at Archive.org, and I've found some great streetcar industry publications from the start of the 20th century, such as the Street Railway Review and the Electric Railway Journal. Using what I've found, I've added content to the pages on the Cars of the HG&B and on the National Steel Car Streetcars.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This month has a lot of minor updates.

First of all, I've added photos to the HRER and B&H remains pages. I also paid a visit to the Hamilton Central Library's Local History and Archives section, and spend a day going through their collection of transit articles. As a result of articles that I found, I've added details to the following pages: The HSR's Horsecar, Laconia DEDT, Ottawa DEDT, and National Steel Car Streetcar pages; the HSR's T-48, E700A, and E800B trolleybus pages; and the HSR's early buses, TGH-3102, C-36A, CD-45, TDH-4512, TDH-4517, TDH-4519, TDH-4521, T6H-5307N, TA60-102N, TC40-102N, C40LF, LFS, and Minibus bus pages.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After finding another great magazine at Archive.org, I've re-written all of the articles on the former HSR streetcar routes: The Belt Line; the Burlington-Westdale; the streetcars on York, Aberdeen, and the Tracks in Between; and the Streetcar shuttle routes. I've also created on Google Maps maps of the HSR streetcar network in 1874, 1912 and 1940. As well, minor updates have been made to the HRER page

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...