BREAKING NEWS: Serious bus crash downtown

James

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...hub=CalgaryHome

Updated: Fri Aug. 28 2009 11:14:29

Emergency crews are at the scene of transit bus crash in downtown Calgary.

The bus crashed into an LRT platform on 6 Street and 7 Avenue S.W. at around 10:15 a.m. Friday.

At least three people were injured in the crash, and paramedics tell CTV some are suffering from broken bones.

The eastbound and westbound CTrain lines have been shut down for the investigation. Shuttle buses will be replacing CTrain service until the accident scene is cleared.

Service is running to the northwest from the 8 Street station. Service is running to the northeast from the Olympic Plaza station. Service is running to the south from the City Hall station.

The police Traffic Unit is at the scene investigating.

Pretty unlikely to get cut off there. I'd suspect what may have happened is the driver may have had another bus or train coming the other way and was a bit too far to the outside, as its pretty tight in front of the platforms with opposing traffic.

ksnaden just posted another shot on SSP, they've removed the bus and he got a shot of the full damage:

dsc00274udy.jpg

Wow. the success of modern technology. A GMC wouldnt have ripped like that. it would more likely damage more of the platform.

Wow. the success of modern technology. A GMC wouldnt have ripped like that. it would more likely damage more of the platform.

That's a joke, right?

Did you know that the front right corner is the weakest part of a New Look? Even light impacts result in the stairwell being crushed.

Dan

That's a joke, right?

Did you know that the front right corner is the weakest part of a New Look? Even light impacts result in the stairwell being crushed.

Dan

well maybe im wrong but at least a gmc can be repaired much quicker.

I also hope the driver and passengers are ok.

Should be interesting to see if 7726 gets rebuilt or not after this one. Wow... I was not working today so did not see this, but did get a phone call about it pretty quick after from a friend about it.

Boy, I was thinking how much careful the operator has to watch out the platform corner when driving through the LRT only road in Downtown. Well, this tells me on how much damage it has done.

If the frames has ripped right through, they won't even bother going to repair it!

Wow, far to many close calls with buses, trains and platforms lately, this ones a bad one. I hear the operator was a very senior operator, it was no rookie on this one! I can't recall the bus that hit the bridge and got repaired, a good chunk of the roof got ripped off on that accident and the bus got repaired and is back in service. It will be interesting to see if this bus gets rebuilt or maybe scraped. I bet the frame is bent on this one, he or she must of been going 40kph when they hit the platform.

Wow, far to many close calls with buses, trains and platforms lately, this ones a bad one. I hear the operator was a very senior operator, it was no rookie on this one! I can't recall the bus that hit the bridge and got repaired, a good chunk of the roof got ripped off on that accident and the bus got repaired and is back in service. It will be interesting to see if this bus gets rebuilt or maybe scraped. I bet the frame is bent on this one, he or she must of been going 40kph when they hit the platform.

I too hope that the operator and passengers make a full recovery. I do recall reading some report several years ago about a plan to place LRT operations underground due to conflicts with buses on the 7th Avenue corridor. The report had indicated 6th Avenue as a possible candidate.

I too hope that the operator and passengers make a full recovery. I do recall reading some report several years ago about a plan to place LRT operations underground due to conflicts with buses on the 7th Avenue corridor. The report had indicated 6th Avenue as a possible candidate.

Actually, you're two blocks north. The "subway" is intended to go underneath 8th Avenue. And as far as I'm aware, the plan would be to put the 201 line underground when the 5 car trains become necessary and to leave the 202 (Saddletowne-69th Street West) line on 7th Avenue. Separating the two lines will allow for frequency improvements on both lines because these days, 7th gets pretty packed with trains during the rush.

As for the bus crash...At least it proves the LRT platforms are pretty rock solid. Appears there's no damage whatsoever to the platform. The bus I'm thinking though is a write-off. I too hope the driver and passengers make a quick recovery.

Jon

the damage would have been just as bad if not worse.

gms are reliable, straight forward and efficient as buses go..... but not crashworthy.