Maryland Transit Administration

Nabinut

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. Haven't been to Baltimore for a few years now. My first time there I was riding #15 White Marsh back & forth to/from my friend's place. I didn't recall seeing the "QuickBus" the last time I was there. If you don't mind me asking, what is that?

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. Haven't been to Baltimore for a few years now. My first time there I was riding #15 White Marsh back & forth to/from my friend's place. I didn't recall seeing the "QuickBus" the last time I was there. If you don't mind me asking, what is that?

A form of Bus Rapid Transit which is supposed to be a test for the Red Line, a Light Rail service covering much of the same areas

A form of Bus Rapid Transit which is supposed to be a test for the Red Line, a Light Rail service covering much of the same areas

Hmmm---kind of like our Quickline service. If it goes way too well and to many people may want something like our Main Street METRORail "Red Line," rail may be going up where Quickline is currently running.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry to bring back an old topic but wanted to update MTA Maryland's status. 75 of 100 New Flyer DE41LFRs are in service with the last 25 coming in. As a result, Flxible Metros from 1994 & 1995 are being retired. So yesterday afternoon, I ventured out to find and ride one of the last 8 Flxible Metros that MTA Maryland stll has in service. On the way there, i stopped by the division that houses them. Later I lucked out and rode one on an express service. Here are the videos from that trip:

The "Dead" line:

9530, one of only a pair to enter afternoon service leaving the division:

And what may be my last Metro ride, here's 9412:

• 6 months later...
It seems one of these Neoplan Low Floors from Maryland has shown up at Big Rig Collision in Calgary, Alberta . Big Rig does refurbishing / rebuilding to buses, trucks, motorhomes, etc. Here are a couple of images of this unit. Maybe someone will be able to figure out it's fleet number with the plate number as I could not find a fleet number. Sorry about the angle as I was shooting through a fence to get this bus.

070810_02302maryland.jpg

070810_02303maryland.jpg

070810_02306maryland.jpg

070810_02302plate20216.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today was the 31st annual MTA roadeo. Last year budget problems forced the event to be cancelled but it came back better then ever. Here are some photos & Videos from the event:

Brand spankin' new 2010 New Flyer DE41LFR #1002 posed for this photo:

MTA2118.jpg

1987 Ex-WMATA (Washington DC) Flxible Metro B #8960:

MTA2119.jpg

Another brand new spankin' unit, this time a MCI D4500CT #176C:

MTA2120.jpg

Flxible Metro E #9526, 98% back to its original form:

MTA2132.jpg

SEPTA New Flyer DE40LFR #8450 A.K.A Bus #30,000:

MTA2134.jpg

Haven't been placed into service yet and there is already an F-up on 1002:

MTA2136.jpg

The interior of 1002 including a weird placement for a A/C intake vent:

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

You have to be this tall...not to bust your head open:

IMG_2389.jpg

Videos:

9526:

Tour of Flxyer #1002:

GM Old Look & Grumman Flxible:

1987 Flxible #8960

1957 GM Old Look #1912:

• Board Admin
I thought New Flyer was now offering the roof shroud as standard. How come 1002 doesn't have one? (Unless it's part of the previous order of 09000-series buses...)

Oh, it's standard now? On all hybrids, or on everything?

Wonder if the larger HVAC unit has anything to do with it... Red Deer has the same unit but it's not a hybrid, so looks kind of funny.

Oh, it's standard now? On all hybrids, or on everything?

Wonder if the larger HVAC unit has anything to do with it... Red Deer has the same unit but it's not a hybrid, so looks kind of funny.

Not exactly sure -- but I recall someone saying that it was standard for hybrids when SEPTA's first DE40LFRs started arriving.

When I see you say that, this quote from the Red Deer thread comes to mind :) :

Looks like it's returning of the Invero look-a-like!

Seriously though, I wonder if New Flyer is also planning to make those Thermo King HVAC units standard...

However I think that HVAC unit looks great on that unit, more than what I can say about the Red Deer D40LFR's...

When I see you say that, this quote from the Red Deer thread comes to mind :) :

Seriously though, I wonder if New Flyer is also planning to make those Thermo King HVAC units standard...

However I think that HVAC unit looks great on that unit, more than what I can say about the Red Deer D40LFR's...

That new Thermo King RLF1M1 HVAC is standard on all diesel-fueled under 60 foot LFRs. Alternative fuel LFRs use the old rear mounted T11 unit. 60 foot LFRs use the older roof mounted units. So far the XD40 and XDE40 use the RLF1M1 as standard as well.

I'm not a fan of the way this new HVAC unit looks on the buses, especially on hybrids where there's two large enclosures that don't match as seen above. The roof shroud option that debuted with TheBus should have been exercised here. Orion's and especially Nova's roofline look better thant this with their use of lower profile HVAC units like the Athenia.

• 1 month later...
  • Board Admin
November 16, 2010

Industry News

Maryland Transit rolls out New Flyer hybrids

The Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) rolled out the first of 41 new diesel-electric hybrid buses as part of a transition to an all-hybrid bus fleet for the Baltimore region.

Five of the new buses have begun service, and the balance will be in operation by January 2011. The new hybrids, manufactured by New Flyer Industries, rely on battery- powered electric motors at speeds up to 12 MPH, after which they transition to a combination of electric and diesel power. The buses operate on electric power approximately 90 percent of the time, and the batteries are recharged by the diesel engine and the braking process.

By using 23 percent less fuel than conventional diesel buses, the new buses emit less pollution and less carbon, thereby helping Maryland meet its ambitious goals to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The current hybrid fleet saves more than 530,000 gallons of fuel annually. At $2.50 per gallon, that adds up to a savings of more than 1.3 million dollars per year, according to the MTA.

With the introduction of 41 additional buses, MTA's hybrid inventory totals 161 out of a total fleet of 748. The fleet will have approximately 500 hybrid buses by 2016.

Copyright © 2010 Metro Magazine. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/News/Story/2...er-hybrids.aspx

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...