Most Memorable Photo

captaintrolley

Any topic, doesn't have to be related to Transportation.

I like this one.

A group from the US, the ERA (Electric Railroaders Assoc) came to Edmonton and we had a FANTASTIC Trolley charter.

Originally the group had chartered one trolley, and if there was space some 'fans' could ride along. Turns out they needed more seats for their own group, let alone the fan-alongs. So we arranged an in-house charter for the second trolley. My friend Janice, an ace trolley driver and very professional transit ambassador, agreed to drive one of the units (179). My friend Jack, another trolley trooper, drove the other unit (148). Both were refurbished units.

Janice was excited, she'd never done a trolley charter before. Bill rode shotgun with her to jump out and reset the poles when required. We planned to travel a lot of unused wire and some rusty switches lie ahead. We knew that if the trolleys were going to lose the 'war' that this may be the last time an event of this magnitude would take place. A bittersweet moment, but one that will forever be etched in the minds of all who took part.

This photo is memorable because it is the first I took during this event, the momentum had been building for a long time. This is it. We are all so excited. Let's ride.

chtr_1.jpg

But this has to be my most memorable photo just because of the story.

I remember planning this day to go to Victoria and find some cool stuff to shoot with my friend. Managing to only get 4 hours of sleep the night before I trudged out to Victoria (a nice 2.5 hour bus ride, 1.5 hour ferry ride, and another 1 hour bus ride later). While on the bus from the ferry I decide to catch a short nap, 20 minutes into the ride my friend wakes me up and says "We're at Royal Oak Exchange" I give him this "Why the f did you wake me up?" turn to look out the window and start freaking out. What had I seen to make me go from "pissed off because someone woke me up" to "OMG!"? Simple, the world's only H40LFR flew past us in the other direction!

Now we know it's out testing the hard part was here, finding it again. After riding around on some buses and keeping our eyes open for it we see it. We're on a 50 heading out of town when it makes a corner in-front of us heading INTO town! We pull the cord and watch the bus go past us (again). Now we run our hearts out to catch up to the bus but fail. So we hop the next bus downtown to hopefully find it, and be ready.

Once we hit downtown we find a spot and I make the call to stay here. Smart move by myself because not a minute later what do we see coming down the street towards us but the H40LFR itself. So I grab some shots then all of a sudden dart across traffic (almost getting killed) and SPRINT down the street after the bus for at least 2-3 blocks. I get behind the bus and grab a rear shot and then watch it pull away. Just after my shutter fires, and the silent bus pulls away, I collapse on the grass. Running like a mad man on very little sleep can make a transit fan very tired you know :P

We ended up spotting that bus a few more times that day but always in spots were no photos could be taken.

To this day, when I run for the bus, I think it's the H40LFR. This way I run even harder! The carrot in front of a horse trick does work, or this time, a bus in front of a bus nut :lol:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/3...57613575166498/

Chris Cassidy

But this has to be my most memorable photo just because of the story.

I remember planning this day to go to Victoria and find some cool stuff to shoot with my friend. Managing to only get 4 hours of sleep the night before I trudged out to Victoria (a nice 2.5 hour bus ride, 1.5 hour ferry ride, and another 1 hour bus ride later). While on the bus from the ferry I decide to catch a short nap, 20 minutes into the ride my friend wakes me up and says "We're at Royal Oak Exchange" I give him this "Why the f did you wake me up?" turn to look out the window and start freaking out. What had I seen to make me go from "pissed off because someone woke me up" to "OMG!"? Simple, the world's only H40LFR flew past us in the other direction!

Now we know it's out testing the hard part was here, finding it again. After riding around on some buses and keeping our eyes open for it we see it. We're on a 50 heading out of town when it makes a corner in-front of us heading INTO town! We pull the cord and watch the bus go past us (again). Now we run our hearts out to catch up to the bus but fail. So we hop the next bus downtown to hopefully find it, and be ready.

Once we hit downtown we find a spot and I make the call to stay here. Smart move by myself because not a minute later what do we see coming down the street towards us but the H40LFR itself. So I grab some shots then all of a sudden dart across traffic (almost getting killed) and SPRINT down the street after the bus for at least 2-3 blocks. I get behind the bus and grab a rear shot and then watch it pull away. Just after my shutter fires, and the silent bus pulls away, I collapse on the grass. Running like a mad man on very little sleep can make a transit fan very tired you know :P

We ended up spotting that bus a few more times that day but always in spots were no photos could be taken.

To this day, when I run for the bus, I think it's the H40LFR. This way I run even harder! The carrot in front of a horse trick does work, or this time, a bus in front of a bus nut :lol:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chsscassidy/3...57613575166498/

Chris Cassidy

Where's the H40LFR now? Still in BC I hope.

This is probably my most memorable photo. It was a rare sighting as well. In 2006 the TTC was the retirement of their 50 1997-98 Orion VI CNG buses. They rarely ever came out for weekend service as more and more retired as more 2006 Orion VIIs were delivered to replace them. On November 11, 2006 I was out at the Dufferin Mall early that afternoon which is served by route 29 Dufferin which was a common route for the VIs to appear on through out their lives. When I left the mall I went to the bus stop to take the bus 2 stops up to the subway. We let the first bus go as it was packed. While waiting for the next bus I looked down the street I see an Orion VI coming. I as literally in shock and excited at the same time as I didn't ride one for at least a month or so before then. When I got on I decided to ride it all the way to its end point at Wilson Station, instead of getting off at Dufferin Station, which was a about a 30-45 minute ride. When I got off the driver put NIS up on the sign and pulled it around the terminal to another bus bay where a mechanic was to take the bus back to the garage. As they were switching I asked the driver if I could take a quick photo of the bus and his response was "Sure, do you want and inside or outside one?" I was only planning on getting an exterior shot but I took the opportunity and said "Both" and his response was "Alright, just be quick". I took both photos and thank the driver, the mechanic the whole time was smiling at me. I am a fan of VIs, was was especially a fan of the TTCs as I enjoyed riding them the many times I did. This ended up being my last ride on a TTC Orion VI CNG which I grew up riding as I was a frequent rider of routes 29 & 161 growing up which were both common routes for VIs, 161 was usually all VIs in fact. The last of the VIs were retired just 2 weeks after this photo:

9212.jpg

mbus_brt.jpg

There are only two full-scale BRT systems in Japan, and this one ran near my house in which I lived for almost 5 years. I used this route quite often, as it took me to the city centre faster than the subway because it was a 15 minute walk to the subway station, but the bus was right outside the house. I was only 10 when I took this photo, only months before I came to Canada. During rush hours, there would be 4-5 buses at a stop at the same time, a perfect spot for some bus spotting :) This route was my favourite because most buses would come in colourful full ad wraps, a very rare sight in Japan.

St. John's, Newfoundland... It was always my dream to travel from one end of Canada to the other. Four years ago, one of my sisters & I decided to visit Newfoundland. For a city of 100,000 people, St. John's has quite an impressive transit system. The last of the GM Fishbowls were retired this year, but I'm glad I had a chance to ride them while they were still around. Here's one of the photos that brought memories from that trip:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyer_901/215...57612521738353/

Here's mine.

59_016__2_.JPG

STM 59-016, the last 1989 MCI Classic in Montreal, and last bus to have a roll sign. Because I only began taking bus photos last year, I missed out on most of the 59s and 60s. I was glad that there was still one left when I began, and when I encountered it, I got this amazing photo which I thought did the old Classic justice.

• 2 weeks later...

AndyBarbara.jpg

The late, fondly remembered Andy Barbera, at the throttle of Steamtown Foundation's ex CP-1246 in Bellows-Falls, Vermont, in summer 1980, when I worked as a volunteer for that museum, repainting coaches.

At the time, Andy was 84 years old, and had been working nearly 70 years for the railroad; that is, before world war 1. We had the chance of staying in a van parked next to his sleeper where he lived, and he would have us for cognac every evening, where he regaled us with endless stories on how railroading was in the golden age of steam (that beated drinking american water beer with the train crews, even though they were our age)…

Of course, the photo did not turn out well (the flash did not fire) as I expected, but the backlighting make it so much more evocative; so that's why I love this pictures 30 years later.