West Vancouver Blue Bus

BCT-3122-D800-10240

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

995 is in the shop getting some electrical work done right now. Reversing some changes made to accommodate tmac and compass.

I hope it gets a fix to its' sign, from pics I have seen, it looks like about 50% of the LED's are dead.

21 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

Wvmt 995 has been saved as a complete running bus. Take the dead sign out and replace it with one that's heading to scrap metal! At least it'll be original. But not 995's original sign.... 

Are they keeping it at wvmt or will TRAMS buy it eventually?

WVMT has a fleet of heritage buses already. It'll likely join those buses.

On 10/28/2019 at 12:20 AM, Busmanic92 said:

Wvmt 995 has been saved as a complete running bus. Take the dead sign out and replace it with one that's heading to scrap metal! At least it'll be original. But not 995's original sign.... 

Are they keeping it at wvmt or will TRAMS buy it eventually?

I don't think they will sell it to anyone. They still have 61 so I think 995 is joining it.

TRAMS does not have the means to take any additional vehicles right now so we're lucky a Vancouver-area D40LF is being saved at all. 7112 can easily be dumped once TransLink retires a newer bus and turns that into the next PR vehicle.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There were probably too many people hopping on-board at UBC that were hoping to get dropped off before the Lions Gate Bridge...

It's weird, but as West Vancouver Transit is operated by the municipality, they definitely seem to be more focused on serving their own residents first.

Had TransLink had its way, this route would have ceased to exist many years ago. But West Vancouver and its residents lobbied hard to keep the route alive despite the fact that it bleeds money.

The 258s from UBC in the afternoon prior to 2014 would continue to Dunderave as a 250a in service from Granville and Georgia to help local West Van service. It was additional service and didn't matter much if it was delayed due to traffic. (Not in the 250a schedule). 

After March 2014 when service was realigned, they had the 258 turn into the 250a at Homer and Georgia from UBC leaving at a specific time. Not sure why that decision was made but I think it had to do with it actually being in the schedule instead of being an extra service. 

I know Translink wanted to eliminate the 258 and redirect those service hours to the 257 and 44. They also wanted the 258 to make additional stops to and from UBC to assist the 44. West Van Blue Bus Management pushed back and hence the 258 has largely remained the same. 

The District of West Vancouver and Translink have a complex relationship. It was tough to get West Van to do the 255 originally. West Van was also reluctant to take on the Community Shuttle runs from Phibbs Exchange. 

For the past few years, West Vancouver Transit Management has been trying to keep things the same and essentially keep what they have. Current Management has no interest in growth, only in doing what best to serve the West Vancouver residents. (Part of the reason West Van dropped the 257 was it was seen as not directly serving West Vancouver residents). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Community Shuttle said:

That would kill the longest-running transit system in North America and make a lot of people unhappy. I think they can work together better.

At the end of the day, transit is transit, and I prefer better transit. I'm not saying that I don't agree that TL and West Van could work together better, because they can and they should. However, I don't think keeping an old system alive just to please a few people is worth the trouble. I don't think WVMT will ever merge with CMBC judging by the fact that West Van residents seem to hate any kind of transit changes, regardless if they benefit from the changes or not.

• Like 2